irrational thoughts while taking phentermine weight loss med

Options
Mike4739
Mike4739 Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm a 32 year old man and ive been taking Phentermine for two weeks and my thoughts are completely absurd and is keeping me up at night not because I'm not tired but because everything I think about I only see the negative side of, especially when it comes to my wife, I have never been a jealous guy and have had a great relationship with her for the past 12 years, she works nights and has been for a year now as an RN in the ER. Just sence i have been taking Phentermine i keep thinking where she is at at night what she doing and who she is doing it with and it's never been that way with us. it is starting to take a small toll of our relationship and my weight loss Journey. In the back of my head I know what I'm thinking is absurd and one thought leads to another and is almost impossible to control, I have been off this medication now for two days and it doesn't seem to be getting any better, so my question is, is anyone familiar with this symptom

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Good thing you're not taking that anymore. I'm sure it takes a while to get out of your system completely, but have you talked to your doctor? Since your wife is an RN what is / was her opinion of you taking that medication? I'd stay far away from it from now on, if I were you.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    It is an amphetamine, so...
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. When I took phentermine my mind was preoccupied that I was going to get a phone call saying someone died or something else bad. Very doom and gloom. Throw that stuff away!
  • sstocking
    sstocking Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My wife took that for a SHORT while and it had psychological effects and caused her to have a greatly elevated heart rate and other very undesirable side effects. Stop taking and see a Doctor that does not specialize in weight loss. Keep in mind the Dr's are given incentives by the pharmaceutical companies to push this stuff! My opinion would be to ditch the drugs and just use good old fashion diet and exercise. Not as fast but it will be far more permanent and no weird side effects.
    Good Luck!
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. It's a side effect and could pose additional problems.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    It's a relatively common side effect of amphetamine family stimulants.

Can be caused either by the sleep deprivation initiated by the Amphetamine or directly as a consequence of taking it.

Either way. You've done the right thing by stopping. As the stimulant leaves your system the symptoms SHOULD decrease. and should be gone completely around the time you get a good full night of sleep.
  • Sandythinandfit
    Sandythinandfit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree you should stop. I find those side effects only last a few days. If it's lasting weeks, that's not a drug you should be taking.