Share your HIIT workouts!

Options
Hello everyone!

I thought I would try and start a thread of people sharing their go to hiit workouts for everyone to enjoy!

Aaaaaand also because I am running out of ideas! *blush*

(P.S please don't link me to any Body Coach youtube videos because I hate that guy.)

Let's see your best work!

Replies

• cmgrube
    cmgrube Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should try https://darebee.com/
    There are some HIIT Workouts and Plans.
    Some Programs are here https://darebee.com/programs.html
    ATM I am using https://darebee.com/programs/30-days-of-hiit.html

You do not need to pay. I donate sometimes 5€.
    Oh, before I forget, the have a channel on youtube, too.

The other share is https://fitnessblender.com/ with their free trainings.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Generally a track session:

Fifteen minutes warm up at 6min/ km
    Six repeats of 100m sprints with 400m back at 6 min/ km
    Ten to fifteen minutes cool down at 6 min/ km

All in about a 45 min session
  • es0torok
    es0torok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I’m doing Ashley Conrad’s 21 Day Clutch Cut.
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ashley-conrads-21-day-clutch-cut.html
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I like to make up my own workouts about 15 minutes before I do them depending on how my body feels. Change them up all the time to keep your body guessing. Here is one that I did this week.

Complete reps range for each workout before resting.
    SET 1
    D.B walking lunges x10
    D.B. Calf Raises x10
    D.B. Shrugs x20
    1 minute rest 4 Sets

SET 2
    Chest to floor burpees x10
    Bear crawls 10 feet forward and 10 feet backwards
    Sit-ups x10
    1 minute rest 4 Sets

SET 3
    D.B. front squat x10
    D.B. bent over rows x10
    D.B. bicep curls x10
    1 minute rest 4 Sets

SET 4
    Tabata
    Alternating planks
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Usually Tabata intervals on the rowing machine (WU, 8 x (20" max effort, 10" easy), CD) but only in the run-up to competition, and not very often even then, because other schedules are a darned-fool waste of training time and life energy, plus the calorie burn is negligible.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If 1-2 minutes of constant work with rest then repeat isn't HIIT then what is?

The classic HIIT routine is the Tabata style 20 sec work and 10 sec rest interval which is done for 8 sets in 4 mins at max effort.

I do this occasionally on my Concept2 rower.

The object is to get your VO2 max up to 170% of "normal" but, since there's no way to measure VO2 w/o special equipment, you just need to run, pedal or row as fast as you absolutely can w/max effort.

I don't use a HR monitor but my C2 monitor gets up to 200+ watts or 1100+ cals/hr which is a high rate of effort for a 67 yr old man but nothing compared to what younger and stronger men could do.

After doing a true HIIT routine you should be completely gassed and panting for breathe because true HIIT induces both aerobic and anaerobic responses. I usually need at least 15-20 mins to recover after doing an HIIT.

On the other hand, I can routinely do 4x2500 meter sets w/5 min rest in between, which take me 12 min per set at the rate of about 130 watts or 700 cal/hr w/o even losing my breath and requiring no recovery time after finishing the 4 sets and rowing 10,000 meters, which I do daily.

Apples and oranges.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    If 1-2 minutes of constant work with rest then repeat isn't HIIT then what is?

The classic HIIT routine is the Tabata style 20 sec work and 10 sec rest interval which is done for 8 sets in 4 mins at max effort.

I do this occasionally on my Concept2 rower.

The object is to get your VO2 max up to 170% of "normal" but, since there's no way to measure VO2 w/o special equipment, you just need to run, pedal or row as fast as you absolutely can w/max effort.

I don't use a HR monitor but my C2 monitor gets up to 200+ watts or 1100+ cals/hr which is a high rate of effort for a 67 yr old man but nothing compared to what younger and stronger men could do.

After doing a true HIIT routine you should be completely gassed and panting for breathe because true HIIT induces both aerobic and anaerobic responses. I usually need at least 15-20 mins to recover after doing an HIIT.

On the other hand, I can routinely do 4x2500 meter sets w/5 min rest in between, which take me 12 min per set at the rate of about 130 watts or 700 cal/hr w/o even losing my breath and requiring no recovery time after finishing the 4 sets and rowing 10,000 meters, which I do daily.

Apples and oranges.

Some people may not find my workouts "HIIT" by normal standards, but I challenge anyone who doubts it is to try it. Find a weight that you can complete each of these exercises without dropping the weight between workouts so it will require max grip strength and max output to complete all 10 reps. If you can complete this without feeling completely gassed then you didn't push hard enough or choose the right weight. Theoretically you can make any workout into HIIT it you actually put in 100% intensity for the short interval.

I don't doubt that what you suggest is hard to do but it's just not HIIT in a strict sense.

FWIW, there's an on-going dispute in MFP about what's "really" HIIT with members often questioning the use of the term.

More often than not, the people using the term HIIT are just talking about doing low to moderate effort circuit or interval training and are not really talking about HIIT at all.

The high intensity endurance activities that you describe also do not strictly fit the HIIT model because, while exhausting, they can not induce an anaerobic cardiovascular response (which is one of the objectives of HIIT) because no activity can be sustained for long in the absence of oxygen.

So, the high intensity endurance activities that you describe (that are also common in crossfit) aren't really HIIT either.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This is my take on HIIT....
    I would simply describe HIIT as cardio (not weights) than involves short bursts of maximal effort (or very, very close to maximal), for a very limited duration interspersed with periods of recovery. To illustrate what I mean.....

m6vsykuwi6ig.png

This is on a power meter equipped indoor bike, The power part shows it best.
    Ten minute high low intervals to start then five minute high low intervals - the high part is pretty intense, the recovery is easy. It's interval training but it's certainly not HIIT. It's "just" interval training.

Now the bit right at the end with the six spikes could possibly qualify as HIIT. Short bursts of maximal effort with short recovery periods - I'm sprinting flat out every 30 secs for as long as I can hold on. You can see that both height of the spikes reduces (lower power each sprint 650 down to 370watts) and also the width of the spike (the duration I can keep sprinting).
    The HR graph shows that although my muscles are partly recovering my HR isn't. Normally with HIIT you would be having somewhat longer recovery time. I'm not a fan of using HR as a measurement as there's too much lag - that's why I go by maximal effort.

By the way - I rarely do HIIT, this was unusual for me.
    I do a lot of interval training though, it doesn't have to have the label HIIT hung on it to make it a valid and useful training style.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    it doesn't have to have the label HIIT hung on it to make it a valid and useful training style.
    This 1000%. I feel like so many people call their workouts HIIT because they're hard. A workout can be hard without being HIIT. A workout can be effective and badass without being HIIT. A workout can give you awesome results without being HIIT. HIIT is just one type of workout. It's not the only kind.

Exactly!! And HIIT is a very specific protocol for a very specific purpose. Not sure why people need to put the HIIT label on everything that is high intensity but not High Intensity INTERVAL Training. sijomial describes it very well above.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    So here’s part of my practice plan for my youth soccer teams (U15 and U17), it is just the HIIT part. I have them do each exercise for 20 seconds with a 10 second rest and then a 1 minute break between each round. You can do each exercise for 30, 40 or even 50 seconds with a 10 second rest but if you haven’t done this before you may want to go with the 20/10 and if you finish that with plenty of gas left in the tank just run through it again.
    If you are not sure of what an exercise is you can google it or ask me, or you could switch it out for an exercise that you like.
    FYI, When I do these for myself or with the group that I W/O with we will do 3-4 sets of these. You can also switch out the ball for a weighted medicine ball.
    I hope this helps and that you enjoy it.

Tabata 3 rounds with one optional.
    Round 1: 2minutes
    1. Mountain Climbers
    2. Running in place w/high knees
    3. Push ups
    4. Squats

1 minute break.

Round 2: 2 minutes T/T 5 minutes
    1. Jumping lunges
    2. Burpee’s
    3. Starfish crunches
    4. Plank

1 minute break.

Round 3: 2 minutes T/T 8 minutes
    1. Russian twist w/ball.
    2. Speed skaters.
    3. Side crunches.
    4. Alternating ball pushups. (Do P/U with ball under left hand, switch ball to right and do a P/U, continue switching the ball back and forth between P/U’s)

1 minute break.

Bonus Round 4: 2 minutes T/T 11 minutes
    1. V-sits W/ball, alternating ball from hands to feet.
    2. Mountain Climbers W/ball
    3. Diamond P/U’s (modification W/ball)
    4. Partner trunk twist ball passes