Should we really be eating back the calories we burn??

Options
I find this so confusing, say I work hard to burn 300 calories at the gym should i be eating them back or keep the deficit?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I eat back all my exercise calories and have maintained easily for the past year. I actually eat somewhat over my goal, and still maintain, because the exercise I do burns a bit more than MFP says since I run and walk in a hilly area.
  • mirandafinch
    mirandafinch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for taking the time to respond. I think following the eat them back if I’m hungry strategy will work for me, I’m sure I won’t actually need them all x
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I set my activity level to sedentary as I work a desk job, then any exercise I do on top of that I log and eat back the extra calories for after I subtract the calories I would have burned if I had just rested during that time using this net calorie converter.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It depends on what activity level you used to compute your daily burn of calories. If you said you are fairly active exercising a few hours a week, then you are already getting "credit " for the first few hours.

To add to correct response by @sijomial - the hours of exercise merely created a goal on the Exercise Diary.

I've found the majority don't even notice it.

I wonder if it's still broken from years ago.

If you mean hoping the activity level makes up for doing some exercise - it really doesn't ramp up fast enough to incorporate exercise, since it has no corresponding level of matching exercise.

If walking is the exercise you mean, ya, there could be some trade, but you'd have no idea if correct trade.
    Why not use it as designed rather than guessing.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    AMC110 wrote: »
    I set my activity level to sedentary as I work a desk job, then any exercise I do on top of that I log and eat back the extra calories for after I subtract the calories I would have burned if I had just rested during that time using this net calorie converter.

If interested in getting that accurate, may as well move it up a level.

MFP already had you estimated to burn a certain amount per day/hour/min.

A deficit was taken from that to give you your eating goal.

If you really want it correct, you want the calories from exercise above and beyond what was already accounted for.

And it was not BMR level burn like that site is doing.
    It was BMR x activity factor.

This is why some exercise that is low level calorie burn and low intensity for a long time can be such a negative effect with the whole eat back method. And why for others doing more intense shorter things it doesn't matter and it works as expected.

Look at what MFP expects you to burn daily, or a fresh day's eating goal + deficit.
    That non-exercise TDEE / 1440 = per minute calorie burn already accounted for.

Whatever estimate for exercise you receive from the database - subtract that.
    Eat that back.
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    may as well move it up a level.

I considered changing my activity level but I don't exercise the same amount each week.