Eating disorder --> Always hungry

Options
Brooke4206
Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
I am recovering from disordered eating. I used to eat about 800 calories a day and I slowly have been able to raise them this past year to 1800-2000 yo-yo-ing. However, it isn't consistent and I end up thinking about food all day. I lost my period over a year ago as well and now am concerned about not being able to have children. I've been to the doctor and they'll going to put me on some medication to see if it can be "jump started." Anyways, This past month I have quit counting and started eating regular food. I used to only eat certain foods day in and day out. But now that i've begun eating all types of food, and listening to my body.. i'm starving. All the time. I'll eat a meal and be hungry 45 minutes later. I'm just always hungry and i'm so fearful that I'm just going to gain so much by simply listening to what my body wants.. anyone know why this is or has anyone been through it?

I've also been getting bad headaches multiple times a day since I started this. Not sure if this relates but thought it might.

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating?
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough? I have problems telling the difference between hunger and thirst.
  • Brooke4206
    Options
    Chicken, eggs, bread, turkey, pb, veggies. I eat a balanced diet so i'm not sure.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Brooke4206 wrote: »
    Chicken, eggs, bread, turkey, pb, veggies. I eat a balanced diet so i'm not sure.

That's all you eat? If I only ate that, I'd be hungry all the time too.

Here's an example of what my day is like:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with cinnamon, brown sugar, and flaxseed OR 2 eggs, 2 slices bacon, 1 english muffin with Earth Balance

Morning snack: Usually don't eat one but when I do it's typically nuts (pistachios, almonds, etc.) and a fruit

Lunch: 4 oz meat, baked or sweet potato, and a veggie

Afternoon snack: Hummus with veggies, pretzels, protein bar, smoothie, banana with peanut butter, tortilla chips and salsa

Dinner: 6 oz salmon, brown rice, and a veggie

Late night snack: Popcorn

Do you see a therapist for your ED?
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I don't think the people on this site are as qualified as your doctor and/or therapist in determining how much you should be eating while in recovery. Please consult THEM as soon as you can.
  • Brooke4206
    Options
    No no no. Those are some of my staple foods. Here is a more standard day for you to see.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 pieces of wheat toast w/ jelly

Lunch and dinner: Either a turkey wrap, veggies, and fruit. Or chicken and rice with veggies. Or chicken and pasta. A sandwich with turkey and then veggies and fruit. Sometimes pb bagel. Or some sort of leftovers.

Snacks: i have a pb ricecake or 2 everyday. A cup of greek yogurt. and some sort of fruit.

I'm eating 2000 calories a day
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've gotten headaches when I've taken breads and grains out of my diet (we were eliminating that group to see if it had an effect on my allergies). I've found that if I eat veggies every time I eat something, it does help to fill me up.

You may want to consider adding some complex carbs to at least 3 feedings. Could be having a blood sugar (or lack thereof) issue. Also, don't be afraid of fruit either...
  • moony2015
    moony2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was hungry all the time during recovery. and I experienced headaches when I had sugar lows and/or dehydrated. I do my best when I eat small frequent meals.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm not going to touch the medical issues but you might find adding some fats helps. You seem to be low on fats and subing in some fats for carbs might help you feel fuller longer.
  • yogaveg
    yogaveg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i suggest you consult with a doctor, nutritionist/ dietitian, and therapist if you aren't already. but as someone recovering from a restrictive eating disorder i can tell you that it's incredibly common for restricter to go into a hyper metabolic state- aka being super hungry all the time. it's completely normal which is why at treatment centers patients typically eat 6x a day. it does seem like you're lacking in the fat department so i'd recommend that you have a fat with each meal and snack.
    for the headaches be sure that you are drinking enough water, but the food stuff shouldn't be causing that. listening to your body is the best thing you can do intake wise. i promise your hunger will go down when your body realizes you won't starve it any longer. then any weight you may have gained will disperse or turn into muscle. when your body reaches it's set point weight your hunger will also go down
  • sweetest_potato
    sweetest_potato Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I struggled with 4 years of anorexia, and finally recovered earlier this year. I was constantly hungry during and after recovery (minus some times where I was too nauseous to eat for some reason.) It's perfectly normal. You might want to consider taking supplements/vitamins because deficiencies can make you have cravings or unexplainable hunger. If you work out (weight training is THE BEST!) you shouldn't ever worry about the number on the scale. I went from thinking 95lb was still fat to not caring if I weigh 130 if I look good and healthy. It's not about the number, it's about how you FEEL.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    No no no. Those are some of my staple foods. Here is a more standard day for you to see.

Lunch and dinner: Either a turkey wrap, veggies, and fruit. Or chicken and rice with veggies. Or chicken and pasta. A sandwich with turkey and then veggies and fruit. Sometimes pb bagel. Or some sort of leftovers.

Snacks: i have a pb ricecake or 2 everyday. A cup of greek yogurt. and some sort of fruit.

Is this plan approved by a doctor specializing in EDs? What you're eating looks good, and the amounts you are eating look good as well. I by no means have any experience with EDs, but have picked up a lot from people on here who have struggled/recovered/had experience with them. The biggest thing I have learned on here is that if you are recovering and going back to a process of refeeding, it is incredibly important to have medical supervision while doing so, and to have your calories adjusted so that your body has adequate fuel to heal itself during the recovery process. Bodies that have gone through periods of disordered eating, especially restrictive habits, need a lot of TLC and guidance on the road to getting better.

Good luck, and great job for deciding to go down this road!
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add, but just wanted to congratulate you on the progress you've made.
    Good Luck :smile:
  • MacCroc
    MacCroc Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It does sound like you are not eating enough - at least your meal discription does not amount to 2000 calories. I was in a similar position as you, but my hunger has almost stabilized now after a few month of eating proper amounts of food.
    Healthy fats are vital for getting your period back, it sounds like you are still restricting them (hard to say without your diary).
    Main thing is, you can and you will recover, but that involves starting to eat more and to eat foods which you consider 'forbidden'. I know it's scary, but it's really worth it. And you don't nesessarily have to put on weight in the process (depends on your current weight obviously).
    Feel free to add me if you need support.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Since she's eating peanut butter she's eating fat and unless its only a couple of teaspoons, she's probably getting enough fat. That said, i love olive myself as my preferred fat because it makes all the food i cook taste a lot better.

Personally if you have any sort of weight issues, i don't think its a great idea to start eating all those "forbidden foods" . I'd continue to stay away from junk food and sweet foods because it doesn't take much of those foods to upset the balance and health you are striving for.

If you are drinking a lot of water, your electrolytes could be out. You could test this theory by having a salty broth. If you headaches pass quickly then you were dehydrated and or your electrolytes were out. After you have had this drink, then the headache should pass quickly and you are unlikely to experience another one that day. You shouldn't need a broth like this every day. But its a quick way to heal a headache caused from the aforementioned issues.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Eating disorder recovery requires a lot more calories than your regular intake would be if you were on a normal program (and I mean, A LOT MORE). You should talk to a doctor that specializes in ED recovery to find out what exactly you need. I know in recovery I was probably at the 2500-3500 mark. I've heard of some people getting into 4000+ mark.

Worrying about what you are eating at this point will be counterproductive to your progress. If you find yourself obsessing over calorie counting, I would not track. I would just focus on mindful eating, managing your anxiety and finding positive ways to self-soothe.

You should also be working with a therapist.

When it comes to your period, if you eat well (and I mean well - like, the high end of your calorie intake and then some) it will come back and you will be fine. When I was in recovery it took about 6 months and the first time it came back was like the first time - spotting. And it got better from there.

ETA - Just looked at your profile and wanted to say that please rest assured that if you stick to your recovery you will be fine to have kids (barring any other issues, of course). You are young enough to turn this around before that becomes an issue - good for you! :)
  • PRMinx
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Since she's eating peanut butter she's eating fat and unless its only a couple of teaspoons, she's probably getting enough fat. That said, i love olive myself as my preferred fat because it makes all the food i cook taste a lot better.

Personally if you have any sort of weight issues, i don't think its a great idea to start eating all those "forbidden foods" . I'd continue to stay away from junk food and sweet foods because it doesn't take much of those foods to upset the balance and health you are striving for.

If you are drinking a lot of water, your electrolytes could be out. You could test this theory by having a salty broth. If you headaches pass quickly then you were dehydrated and or your electrolytes were out. After you have had this drink, then the headache should pass quickly and you are unlikely to experience another one that day. You shouldn't need a broth like this every day. But its a quick way to heal a headache caused from the aforementioned issues.

You are not at all equipped to be giving advice on this issue. Please stop.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    MacCroc wrote: »
    It does sound like you are not eating enough - at least your meal discription does not amount to 2000 calories. I was in a similar position as you, but my hunger has almost stabilized now after a few month of eating proper amounts of food.
    Healthy fats are vital for getting your period back, it sounds like you are still restricting them (hard to say without your diary).
    Main thing is, you can and you will recover, but that involves starting to eat more and to eat foods which you consider 'forbidden'. I know it's scary, but it's really worth it. And you don't nesessarily have to put on weight in the process (depends on your current weight obviously).
    Feel free to add me if you need support.

Yes. I would go to town on some PB and avocado. Yum!
  • PRMinx
    Options

Is this plan approved by a doctor specializing in EDs? What you're eating looks good, and the amounts you are eating look good as well. I by no means have any experience with EDs, but have picked up a lot from people on here who have struggled/recovered/had experience with them. The biggest thing I have learned on here is that if you are recovering and going back to a process of refeeding, it is incredibly important to have medical supervision while doing so, and to have your calories adjusted so that your body has adequate fuel to heal itself during the recovery process. Bodies that have gone through periods of disordered eating, especially restrictive habits, need a lot of TLC and guidance on the road to getting better.

Good luck, and great job for deciding to go down this road!

+1
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should be working with a medical team. In a perfect world (and if you could afford it) you would be working with a doctor, a therapist and a nutritionist. You need a MD to help set medical goals and monitor progress (what is a healthy weight/blood levels), you need a nutritionist to help set up a meal plan that helps you reach those goals your MD set and a therapist to help you cope with these new targets.

If you feel like you are starving all the time, then maybe that means you are missing something somewhere (too few fat/carbs/proteins, too few calories, nutritional deficiency) and it may be worth the money to meet with a nutritionist that is experienced with eating disorders.

I wish you all the best, recovery is a hard hard thing.