knees & running

Options
jenncalicollins617
jenncalicollins617 Posts: 79 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently started running after getting bored with other cardio, even did my 1st 5k! And now I'm addicted. Today I felt my my knee buckel a few times, no pain though. Its the same knee I injured as a kid some 30yrs ago & also had vien surgery on 10yrs ago. I wear shoes I thought were good, but realized I need to be fitted properly (going Saturday) since I'm learning thats extremely important. I run every other day & lift heavy 4x a week. Does this sound like a shoe issue or more of an injury, for those with experience? I know your not doctors just curriose what others think. Thanks

Replies

• jenncalicollins617
    Options
    **Not doctor's
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Your knee buckled? Did you fall? Does your knee hurt? It may just be a recurring problem from years ago. I have a friend whose knee will slip out of place every once every few months/years, but it's certainly not an injury.

It sounds like you could benefit from strengthening the knee, and/or wearing a knee brace for a few days if it is aching/in pain.
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    First piece of advice would be to get a gait analysis, which you're already doing. Secondly how long have you been running, and have you been upping mileage quickly?
  • jenncalicollins617
    Options
    Your knee buckled? Did you fall? Does your knee hurt? It may just be a recurring problem from years ago. I have a friend whose knee will slip out of place every once every few months/years, but it's certainly not an injury.

It sounds like you could benefit from strengthening the knee, and/or wearing a knee brace for a few days if it is aching/in pain.

Didn't fall & it didnt hurt just made me grab the sides if the treadmill, it woobled for lack of a better word. A knee brace was a thought I had as well, thank you!
    First piece of advice would be to get a gait analysis, which you're already doing. Secondly how long have you been running, and have you been upping mileage quickly?

I haven't really increased my milage, steadily been walking/jogging/elepticle anywhere from 3-5miles, 3-4x a wk for about 8 months, I have though increased the intensity the last 4-6wks.
  • jenncalicollins617
    Options

Didn't fall & it didnt hurt just made me grab the sides if the treadmill, it woobled for lack of a better word. A knee brace was a thought I had as well, thank you!

I haven't really increased my milage, steadily been walking/jogging/elepticle anywhere from 3-5miles, 3-4x a wk for about 8 months, I have though increased the intensity the last 4-6wks.

I just realized I never posted that ^^^
  • jenncalicollins617
    Options
    I'm still new to posting, so sorry for the duplicates.
    Had my analysis done & bought shoes, after 5hrs of wearing them they were killing my feet
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Why did you wear them for 5 hours?

It could be any one of a number of things, although as you're on a dreadmill that may be a contributor.

My first thought would be that you're taking too long a pace, although given the mileage you're doing and the frequency you might have a mild overtraining injury.
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If the shoes are killing your feet, take them back! I feel like too many people blindly listen to the SALES PEOPLE (that's what they are) when they get fitted. If they are a reputable store, they will take them back and refit you in shoes that work for you. They shouldn't hurt! You have to learn to listen to your own body as well and if the shoes don't feel right, it doesn't matter what an "expert" tells you that you should be wearing. Keep trying, sometimes it takes some time and test runs to find the right shoe.

The knee buckling could be a number of things. An old issue for sure if you had problems when you were younger, just weak muscles in general? I found when I first started running I had to go through many different "pains" as I built my strength and stamina.
  • jenncalicollins617
    Options
    If the shoes are killing your feet, take them back! I feel like too many people blindly listen to the SALES PEOPLE (that's what they are) when they get fitted. If they are a reputable store, they will take them back and refit you in shoes that work for you. They shouldn't hurt! You have to learn to listen to your own body as well and if the shoes don't feel right, it doesn't matter what an "expert" tells you that you should be wearing. Keep trying, sometimes it takes some time and test runs to find the right shoe.

The knee buckling could be a number of things. An old issue for sure if you had problems when you were younger, just weak muscles in general? I found when I first started running I had to go through many different "pains" as I built my strength and stamina.

Thank you! My thoughts exactly. :)
  • jenncalicollins617
    Options

It could be any one of a number of things, although as you're on a dreadmill that may be a contributor.

My first thought would be that you're taking too long a pace, although given the mileage you're doing and the frequency you might have a mild overtraining injury.

Wore them around while doing errands, no workout & while mostly sitting at daughter softball game. Many sunflower seeds were ate, meaning more salt than normal so maybe extra swelling was the cause of pain?
    Wore them at the gym today for my normal 2.5hrs workout, 40min treadmill (bad weather) 20min stretching/abbs, 1.5hrs weights. No problems or pain. And feet felt great when running.
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Repetitive use injuries are common in running. You said you started running just recently, and that's a prime time for injuries. Your muscles adapt quickly but the rest of you takes more time, and you can hurt yourself easily if you don't follow proper resting. For me, a day off from running (immediately after something like you described) helps things heal much more quickly. Running on a fresh injury can lead to more chronic ones later. Losing one day won't hurt you, but hitting the same injury over and over can.

Regarding shoes, I've never received good advice from sales people. You don't know their experience. Maybe they just started selling. Maybe they don't even run. Maybe they are paid on commission to move the high inventory items. I've gotten very different opinions from sales people on the same day. "You pronate too much." "You don't pronate enough." "You need more heal cushion." "You need motion control." "Never use motion control shoes with your flat arches." "Gosh! Your arches are so high!" On and on.

The best advice I got was to run in flats. It stopped my chronic shin splints and let me finish my marathons without injury (just the usual fatigue). Your feet were designed to run without shoes. Barefoot may never be practical, but why run with big cushions under your heels? That design came out in the '70's. Roger Banister ran his 4 minute mile in flats. To get an idea of how modern shoes change your stride, video yourself running in shoes and then barefoot. Look at how your foot hits. Barefoot you land on your forefoot, and in shoes you strike heel first. One is natural and the other can injure you.

Just my two cents. Other opinions may vary. This is not medical advice and I am not a doctor. Please seek professional medical attention for any injury. Do not stand forward of the white line while the bus is in motion. Close cover before striking.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Wore them around while doing errands,

Running shoes are for running, don't use them for anything else. They've a life of between 300 and 500 miles.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

Wore them around while doing errands, no workout & while mostly sitting at daughter softball game. Many sunflower seeds were ate, meaning more salt than normal so maybe extra swelling was the cause of pain?
    Wore them at the gym today for my normal 2.5hrs workout, 40min treadmill (bad weather) 20min stretching/abbs, 1.5hrs weights. No problems or pain. And feet felt great when running.

More often than not, running shoes WON'T feel that good if you're walking around in them. They're specifically designed as a running shoe and often don't support your feet as well when you're walking. Your stride is different for a casual walk vs. a "power" walk vs. a jog vs. a run. That would explain the aches.

Run in them a few times and see how you feel. If pain-free, they're good - just NOT for general wear.

~Lyssa
  • jenncalicollins617
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help! I really appreciate all the suggestions, and will use this info. :)