Hard to loose weight after 50

so hard to loose that 10 lbs and keep it off ! help!

Replies

• GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    LOL I did it and gained it back. Shoot me now.
  • IrenaKaraman
    IrenaKaraman Posts: 42 Member
    Did you lose it fast maybe?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,782 Member
    At 50yo, lost 50lbs and have kept it off for 2yrs...
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I've lost 30 pounds and kept it off for 2.5 years. It does take some diligence. I now understand the true meaning of "lifestyle change."
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited May 2015
    I completely understand. I'm older and shorter, and have to keep very tight control of my intake, or I will gain. I've been at a plateau forever, but can't cut anymore. The metabolism slows way down. You can keep the weight off, but it's more of a struggle than for a younger person.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    I wouldn't say hard. I would say it takes more discipline though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bjdavidson964
    bjdavidson964 Posts: 266 Member
    I joined MFP back in January of this year at age 50. Weight has been coming off nicely at about 1 lb per week. I find that I have to work out consistently about 4-5 times per week for 1 hour. Just trying to meet calorie goal just didn't seem to do it for me. I'm 5'0" and started at 190 ... down to 169 now (still considered obese for my height). I started off walking but now jog, do Zumba 2x week, and do Jillian Michael's Shred It with Weights 2x week...found it on Youtube and I use a dumbell instead of a kettlebell.
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    edited May 2015
    I've been on MFP for a little over 60 days and have lost 27 pounds, with 33 to go. It probably takes a little more effort the older one gets, but the basics to weight loss are the same no matter your age.

MFP - Fifty plus (or so) Support Group
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I wouldn't say hard. I would say it takes more discipline though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I am 58 and I am finding it easier to lose than I did at a younger age. Yes, it is a little slower but I don't have the cravings or hunger like I did. Whether it is wisdom that comes with age, lack of hormone cycles, or any other thing, it is definitely easier.