Cholesterol in foods...

I didn't realize how much cholesterol I have eaten in the past 2 days. I was having trouble getting fats where they needed to be, so some folks suggested eating a whole egg...whelp, an egg and some chicken...way over on cholesterol for the day. How do you get enough protein and fat but keep cholesterol in check?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    I didn't realize how much cholesterol I have eaten in the past 2 days. I was having trouble getting fats where they needed to be, so some folks suggested eating a whole egg...whelp, an egg and some chicken...way over on cholesterol for the day. How do you get enough protein and fat but keep cholesterol in check?

I think there was a mfp blog post about upcoming changes in the US recommended dietary guidelines that mentions cholesterol no longer being a nutrient of concern.
  • snowdevilgirl
    snowdevilgirl Posts: 21 Member
    Protien powder
  • MERRYMONKEY512
    MERRYMONKEY512 Posts: 26 Member
    Bean burritos with guacamole
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member

You probably don't need to be overly concerned about cholesterol in your foods. Just focus on getting whole foods most of the time, getting exercise, and hitting your calorie goals.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member

How much is way over on cholesterol?

I ate 124g protein, 29g fat and 365mg of cholesterol. That's 65mg too much cholesterol. I don't consider that way over.

I at eggs, lite milk, Greek yogurt, can of tuna and lentils that day, well they were the main sources of fat and protein.

Does that help?
  • Parkercomom
    Parkercomom Posts: 67 Member
    My goal is 300...yesterday I was 141 over...today 59. Rather new to this, so still trying to figure it all out.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited May 2015
    Never mind I thought I was in a different thread :smiley:

v9hyp27xfc9x.jpg

• NutritionHealth4Life
    NutritionHealth4Life Posts: 90 Member
    Hello, people have a misconception about cholesterol consumption being bad. What most people don't understand is that when our body does not have an energy or storage use for the blood sugar from carbohydrate digestion then the excess sugar is either stored as triglycerides/fat or turned into cholesterol. Most people even doctors I have shared this with are not aware that carbohydrates have a greater impact on cholesterol levels than cholesterol from animal products
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Dietary cholesterol does not translate to cholesterol in the blood

so are blood tests showing you have an issue with cholesterol?

In the almost year I've been effectively logging I haven't monitored my cholesterol intake once ... because I don't need to

• crjmg
    crjmg Posts: 18 Member
    I always eat way over my suggested cholesterol intake. However, all of my cholesterol comes from clean sources of animal meat and eggs. I just had blood work done and I was told my cholesterol levels are above the optimal level...so eating cholesterol from healthy sources does not raise unhealthy cholesterol levels on your body.
  • ncboiler89
    crjmg wrote: »
    I always eat way over my suggested cholesterol intake. However, all of my cholesterol comes from clean sources of animal meat and eggs.

What are unclean sources?
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    cholesterol isn't a concern, don't worry about it
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Hello, people have a misconception about cholesterol consumption being bad. What most people don't understand is that when our body does not have an energy or storage use for the blood sugar from carbohydrate digestion then the excess sugar is either stored as triglycerides/fat or turned into cholesterol. Most people even doctors I have shared this with are not aware that carbohydrates have a greater impact on cholesterol levels than cholesterol from animal products

source please.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    NOT, that I would personally be worrying about the cholesterol, but a great way to get your protein is Quest bars, meat, cheese, milk. For fat, nuts, avocados etc.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 649 Member
    There is not a lot of reliable scientific studies linking consumption of dietary cholesterol and cholesterol deposits in arteries. In the 1970's researchers cooked the books on a big study funded by a drug company and 50 years later we are still living with the misinformation.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    edited May 2015
    No, sugar is not converted to cholesterol and depending on context and dosage, carbohydrates are fine, just ask any Okinawan centenarian. What your referring to is a diet high in refined carbs and refined sugar where it displaces protein, which for the most part is animal products, this in turn influences the liver in determining how much cholesterol it can jam into lipoproteins when they are being filled with triglycerides first and foremost from that particular highly refined carbohydrate diet ......answer, not much, so you end up with a high particle count, which means small dense lipoproteins for both HDL and LDL, which is not good. It's not cholesterol that reeks havoc on arteries it's what they are carried in, the lipoproteins and lots of dense small ones are not what we want floating around in our blood. An LDL count of 100 with 4000 particles is not the same thing as an LDL of 100 with 900 particles. One is atherogenic the other isn't.

• Parkercomom
    Parkercomom Posts: 67 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

In the almost year I've been effectively logging I haven't monitored my cholesterol intake once ... because I don't need to
    Have never had a problem with my cholesterol levels, but since I have started a new healthy eating lifestyle, I wanted to make sure I wasn't eating too much of it...
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Have never had a problem with my cholesterol levels, but since I have started a new healthy eating lifestyle, I wanted to make sure I wasn't eating too much of it...

Don't worry about it, do a little googling on cholesterol and you will see what people mean by the guidelines changing on eating cholesterol. Keep eating your eggs and lean meats. I ignore my cholesterol rating on MFP.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    A lot of times when i eat eggs I'll have one whole egg and a1/4 cup of egg whites. it will cut your cholesterol way down if you really want eggs
  • ncboiler89
    A lot of times when i eat eggs I'll have one whole egg and a1/4 cup of egg whites. it will cut your cholesterol way down if you really want eggs

Oh really?