Butt Still Skinnyfat After Strong Curves

Options
Hi all,

I've been on the Strong Curves program since February. I haven't noticed much improvement after introducing heavy (for me) lifting. Am I just genetically destined to have a flatter butt? Is there anybody out there that has had success in this area in converting their flat butt?

Replies

• daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Can you post a pic of your butt? Or, better, a side by side before and after?

It's only been four months. Maybe the changes are minimal?
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Building muscle takes time. Like, a lot of time.

Are you still eating at a deficit? Because you really aren't going to add a lot of butt-meat without a caloric surplus. Bulk/cut cycles might help you build up those glutes.

Also, what is heavy (for you)? Have you been steadily increasing the weight you're working with?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    so like 4 months...that's it? you don't just work out for a handful of months and voila...fitness body...a fitness body is derived by living a fitness lifestyle over months and months and years and years...

also, if you're dieting you're not going to build muscle...also, you may be in fact genetically predisposed to having a flat posterior. There's tons of guys who lift and squat, etc who don't have an *kitten*.
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Are you still eating at a deficit? Because you really aren't going to add a lot of butt-meat without a caloric surplus. Bulk/cut cycles might help you build up those glutes.

Also, what is heavy (for you)? Have you been steadily increasing the weight you're working with?

That is it. Muscle mass = Eat at a surplus
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

This is the big question. I think that Strong Curves is a great program but the best results are going to be achieved when you eat at maintenance or above. I ran it when I was at and slightly above maintenance and saw some improvements. When I was cutting, I didn't see improvements but didn't see anything get worse either. Now I'm back to maintaining but haven't been for long enough to say one way or another.
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are good. Never thought of some of your questions, you are much more experienced than I am! I've been eating at maintenance for only about a month. A deficit prior to that. The weird thing is that notice lots of improvement in my upper body and legs, just not the butt. Heavy for me is (I'm a newbie and never lifted anything heavy before) started out at body weight, increased to 10lb dumbbells and have increased to using the barbell with an additional 10lbs, so at 55 lbs now. As far as bulk and cut, I obviously won't bulk in just the butt area, and don't want to reverse all the progress I made in my weight loss. For reference, I am 5'3 and weigh 129lbs female.

Maybe it's time to increase the weight even more and be patient. I would still like to hear if anybody has been successful at reversing their flat butt and what they did to get there.

Thanks for responding.
  • estherlion
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

This is the big question. I think that Strong Curves is a great program but the best results are going to be achieved when you eat at maintenance or above. I ran it when I was at and slightly above maintenance and saw some improvements. When I was cutting, I didn't see improvements but didn't see anything get worse either. Now I'm back to maintaining but haven't been for long enough to say one way or another.

Are you still doing Strong Curves or other program?
  • jemhh
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You just really have to keep at it. Which exercise are you doing at 55 pounds? Or are you using that for all the barbell exercises--squats, deadlifts, RDLs, hip thrusts, glute bridges, etc.?

If you want to see a lot of before/after pictures, join the SC Ladies group on Facebook. It is the Strong Curves group that Bret Contreras and Kellie Davis post to.
    estherlion wrote: »

I'm doing another program now but I still do exercises that I started with SC. On my 2 lower body day I'm still hitting quads and hamstrings and then also adding in 5x10 hip thrusts. If I have time I'll add in either seated or lying abductions. Plus I do one shorter day of just band and bodyweight glute stuff.
  • estherlion
    Options
    You just really have to keep at it. Which exercise are you doing at 55 pounds? Or are you using that for all the barbell exercises--squats, deadlifts, RDLs, hip thrusts, glute bridges, etc.?

If you want to see a lot of before/after pictures, join the SC Ladies group on Facebook. It is the Strong Curves group that Bret Contreras and Kellie Davis post to.

Yes, for all the barbell exercises you mention.
  • jemhh
    edited June 2015
    Options

I'm doing another program now but I still do exercises that I started with SC. On my 2 lower body day I'm still hitting quads and hamstrings and then also adding in 5x10 hip thrusts. If I have time I'll add in either seated or lying abductions. Plus I do one shorter day of just band and bodyweight glute stuff.

Yes, for all the barbell exercises you mention.

Good work. Just keep on progressing and you will get there. I am not sure if it is just coincidence that you are on the same weight for all but just in case you do not know, it is okay to up the weight for one exercise and not another. You will likely be able to go up in some quicker than others.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Are you engaging your glutes? --any soreness? I feel sore after the single leg glute bridges. And, yesterday, I felt a good stretch in the hams and glutes with the cable pull-through. I'm on weeks 1-4 of the Gluteal Godess.

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    If you aren't feeling it, you may need to up the weight or practice form.
  • jemhh
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Are you engaging your glutes? --any soreness? I feel sore after the single leg glute bridges. And, yesterday, I felt a good stretch in the hams and glutes with the cable pull-through. I'm on weeks 1-4 of the Gluteal Godess.

Single leg glute bridges are ridiculous with the soreness. I will not do them for awhile and then decide to do them, forgetting how challenging they are. Same with leg curls on a ball. I always seem to forget (repress) how much I feel them in my hamstrings.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Best exercises for building my butt (my butt may be different from your butt) have been squats and split squats. On squats I'm between 145-250lb (depending on the rest of my routine, and how many reps I'm going to do) and on splits I'm between 45-145lb (again, depending on the rest of my routine, reps).

If you're not working out on a rack, I used to do elevated split squats (back foot on bench) holding two 20lb-45lb (went up as strength grew) dumbbells, reps of 15, 12, 10, 8 (one minute rest in between). Hurt my butt something fierce! I find that split squats work my butt a bit better than regular squats (I really have to watch my form on regular squats to work the back - focusing on pressing through the heels, with little to no pressure on my toes).

I'm very obese, so I'm able to build muscle while still on a deficit, although I do focus on replenishing a lot of protein on lifting days (typically with a shake). Maybe give split squats a try and see if they work better for you? Might have to eat a surplus too if you are at goal weight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

^This. I saw significant improvements with SC but I was bulking so my results may not be as helpful to you. Keep at it while at maintenance and you should see better results. As others said, glute building is often a slow process.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lots of women underestimate how much they can really lift. I get this a lot on the leg press. Many put on just 25lbs on each side a call it "heavy". For many, that's MUCH less than half their body weight.
    One of my female clients watched me put 2 45's on each side of the leg press for her and she said I must be smoking crack. I asked if she ever tried that much, and she replied she never even tried 1 45 on each side. So I told her to go ahead and give it a try.
    She's now up to 3 45's on each side doing 5x5 and DOESN'T have "bulky" looking legs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you have no injuries or disabilities or pain preventing you from lifting, you can definitely push yourself a bit.

Here are strength benchmarks for the squat for women
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandards.html

Pounds

Squat - Adult Women
    Body Weight Untrained Novice Intermediate Advanced Elite
    97 45 85 100 130 165
    105 50 90 105 140 175
    114 55 100 115 150 190
    123 55 105 120 160 200
    132 60 110 130 170 210
    148 65 120 140 185 230
    165 70 130 150 200 255
    181 75 140 165 215 270
    198 80 150 175 230 290
    199+ 85 160 185 240 305

Ok I can't tab these over. The first column is the person's body weight. There are four categories after that. Or just check out the link
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Caloric Surplus + hypertrophy reps w progressive overload + patience = butt

There's no magic to it. Just eat, build, and be consistent and patient. :)

w2sk36nxxipy.jpg
  • estherlion
    Options
    Fujiberry wrote: »
    Caloric Surplus + hypertrophy reps w progressive overload + patience = butt

There's no magic to it. Just eat, build, and be consistent and patient. :)

w2sk36nxxipy.jpg

Wow! Inspiration results! Did you succeed with Strong Curves or what program?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

Is this a butt program? I'd like to target my butt a bit more too... I'm going to look into this.