Green tea/coffee & oolong tea

Options
augustsp
augustsp Posts: 5 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey guys! I'm new on this app/forum and I'm trying a 1000kcal diet. I recently saw a lot about these beverages (green tea and coffee beans and oolong tea) and many websites saying it works to lose weight and fat, specially oolong tea. Have you included any of them in your diary? If you have, what were the results? I'm a bit skeptic about it still since I found some articles denying the effects as well. I don't know what to believe.
Anyways, hope I get to know your opinions!

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi!

Firstly, 1000 calories is much too low for anyone. 1200 is recommended at the bare minimum for women; 1500 for men, and you also need to eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories.

Secondly, you are right to be skeptical of the claims for these teas.

If you could buy a magic weight loss cure, Oprah wouldn't be fat.

The solution is keeping your calories in less than your calories out. Luckily, My Fitness Pal will help with that.

Weigh and log all your food, and if you have any questions, ask them here. Best wishes!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    The only way tea would help you lose weight is if you drank it instead of eating, which I wouldn't recommend. I love green tea and drink a few cups a day. It stops me from mindlessly snacking but it doesn't make me lose weight or fat. So drink it if you enjoy the taste but it's not a weight loss cure.

And 1000 calories is too low. At least eat 1200 which is the bare minimum for women and really that's for rather petite/short women.

• mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    1000 calories? No. That is not realistic or sustainable. When you come off it you will pile the weight back on if you even manage to stick to it. Get those calories up. Lose weight slowly and be healthy
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of unsweetened green tea because I like the taste and find that it's a great palate cleanser--However, I don't think it has helped me lose weight. :)
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm a big fan of green tea! Love it. And, when I drink it, I'm usually replacing decaf coffee with some sort of cream in it or a latte. So, when I drink green tea, there some other dietary changes happening: 1) I'm not consuming cream or milk, and 2) I am adding a small amount of caffeine. I do seem to lose weight at times when I drink it, but there's the possibility that I'm more likely to drink green tea when I'm more active and eating healthier overall (and therefore, weight loss is from the activity and overall change in diet, not the beverage).

All that being said, I think the jury is still out on any weight loss benefit from green tea, but by all means, if it's all working as a whole, why stop? Especially if you like it.

Curious, have you tried a loose leaf green tea imported from a high quality producer in Japan? These are _so_ much better, especially when brewed at a temp less than boiling, than tea bags or anything from the big corporate tea producers.
  • augustsp
    Options
    Thank you guys! I'm really glad I signed in here. I'm learning so much already :smile:
  • NeonStrikeVi
    NeonStrikeVi Posts: 61 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just a side note. If you do decide to drink green tea, don't drink too many cups of it, especially if you've never tried it before as it can cause an upset stomach :disappointed:

As for the weight loss, if you normally drink sugary drinks etc. and switch to green tea instead then that will help with your weight loss.

Good luck!

P.S Green tea is delicious!
  • augustsp
    Options
    ScreeField wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of green tea! Love it. And, when I drink it, I'm usually replacing decaf coffee with some sort of cream in it or a latte. So, when I drink green tea, there some other dietary changes happening: 1) I'm not consuming cream or milk, and 2) I am adding a small amount of caffeine. I do seem to lose weight at times when I drink it, but there's the possibility that I'm more likely to drink green tea when I'm more active and eating healthier overall (and therefore, weight loss is from the activity and overall change in diet, not the beverage).

All that being said, I think the jury is still out on any weight loss benefit from green tea, but by all means, if it's all working as a whole, why stop? Especially if you like it.

Curious, have you tried a loose leaf green tea imported from a high quality producer in Japan? These are _so_ much better, especially when brewed at a temp less than boiling, than tea bags or anything from the big corporate tea producers.
    Haven't tried loose leaf g.tea but I'll see if I can get it around here (I'm from Argentina btw). I personally like all kinds of tea but I got used to having green tea 2 or 3 times a day so it's already part of my routine. It's also very helpful when I have to stay up all night working or studying and thr cravings may attack so this particular tea makes my stomach busy for a while. That might be another good reason to lose weight.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Hi!

Firstly, 1000 calories is much too low for anyone. 1200 is recommended at the bare minimum for women; 1500 for men, and you also need to eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories.

Secondly, you are right to be skeptical of the claims for these teas.

If you could buy a magic weight loss cure, Oprah wouldn't be fat.

The solution is keeping your calories in less than your calories out. Luckily, My Fitness Pal will help with that.

Weigh and log all your food, and if you have any questions, ask them here. Best wishes!

This
  • Hjones2889
    Hjones2889 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i love green tea, but i dont think its help me lose weight at all.
  • nixology
    nixology Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do not know about weight loss with green tea but it does help my digestion and seems to help the condition of my skin. I drink quite a lot of it though as I like the taste.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to discrease my coffee intake (I'm a coffee junkie lol) and I substituted it with green tea (unsweetened). I feel very well and I think it reduces my appetite as well.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    augustsp wrote: »
    ScreeField wrote: »

Haven't tried loose leaf g.tea but I'll see if I can get it around here (I'm from Argentina btw). I personally like all kinds of tea but I got used to having green tea 2 or 3 times a day so it's already part of my routine. It's also very helpful when I have to stay up all night working or studying and thr cravings may attack so this particular tea makes my stomach busy for a while. That might be another good reason to lose weight.

There are a few online sellers for good imported green tea. I like den's tea. I've heard good things about rishi tea--both have great websites. Not sure if either will ship to Argentina, but worth a try. Other good places to look are: steepster.com (great tea ratings) and teaviews.com (good for finding ratings of tea shops).