post c section & breastfeeding

keatikins
keatikins Posts: 1 Member
edited September 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I'm just looking for some support/advice on any safe exercises to do, I'm 5 weeks post c-section. I have lost 10 kilos as I am breastfeeding. And have been taking short walks with bub. I'm not necessarily looking to lose anymore weight (I am 56 kilos) just seeking some safe tummy toning exercises. Also some healthy easy to make food ideas for breastfeeding, to ensure I'm eating the recommended nutrients & calories to keep up with the breastfeeding. Cheers :smile:

Replies

• Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    You have done well to lose 10 kilos, well done :)
    As for tummy toning...there isn't any such thing as toning, or spot-fat reduction. Everyone has abs - mine are just covered by a large layer of fat at the moment. We all look 'toned' when there is a minimal fat layer covering muscles. You can make your muscles bigger, but not more 'toned'.

I am 6 years post c-section - that was my second. Everyone's body is different - mine will never go back to what it was before I carried, gave birth to and breastfed two children. Firstly - you MUST let your body heal enough. C-Sections are HARD to recover from. I know I was in no shape for any serious exercise that would have strengthened ab muscles for many many weeks, even months afterwards. I had to take it S L O W. Walking. Perhaps some squats and lunges, build up to a jog....build up slowly.

As for calories, I freak out whenever I hear of breastfeeding women cutting their calories really low to lose weight. You know we need fat to make good quality breast milk, right? It puzzles me that as soon as someone has a child, she wants to lose "all my baby weight" straight away. You body just spent 10 months preparing for FEEDING your child quality milk by putting on the fat, and we want to strip it off our hips and thighs straight away?!?! It goes against western culture, but I really wish we would encourage losing 'baby weight' AFTER we are done with milk production, which we need the fat for. Sorry to have a big rant - Please eat enough - for the sake of your child's growth and development.