My depression has kicked my *kitten* with working out

My depression has been bad the last 2 weeks. I have not gained any weight and my eating is not out of control. I'm trying to get out of this funk. I wish I had someone to call me every other day telling me you need to go work out! I was so into it a month a go. Now lost all interest. Help!

Replies

• Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    I understand all to well. I get in these spells and i always sabotage myself. Try to take it day to day.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    try doing something new. I gain interest and lose it all the time so then I either add to or change what I'm doing.
    As for the depression, I just tell it to shut up when I'm trying to do something and it's telling me to sit on the couch or take a nap, etc
    even with treatment and medicine, it's tough but it's manageable.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Make a schedule and stick with it. It's very hard to get moving sometimes, believe me I know! But I've found that if I have a set time and day to do something like exercise, I'm more likely to do it because I've set that time aside. Granted, if I miss a couple of weeks due to forces outside my control, it's hard to get back on the wagon, but once I do, I'm more likely to stick with it.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited November 2015
    My depression has been bad the last 2 weeks. I have not gained any weight and my eating is not out of control. I'm trying to get out of this funk. I wish I had someone to call me every other day telling me you need to go work out! I was so into it a month a go. Now lost all interest. Help!

Totally get you. If I have get myself workout when I'm depressed, it's an uphill battle all the way, but working out is one of the best things you can do to make yourself feel better so it is worth doing whatever it takes to get yourself to move.

Heading into winter, I am making sure to sign up for things that force me to go at a specific day & time, whether its group classes at the Y or telling other people I will run or walk with them, etc., because it's harder to back out when other people are involved. I still grumble all the way there because all I want to do is curl up and take a nap, but I put on my shoes and do it anyway because it DOES help tremendously and I always feel better after.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Treat your depression, then worry about exercise.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Exercise can help with depression. I don't love it, but love it when I have done it and it's out of the way, and love feeling stronger. I feel so much more healthy and strong since I have exercised and usually eat much healthier too. Try something for a few days and see if it helps. Don't give up on yourself, you are worth the trouble.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    I know what you mean. Since the clocks change my SAD has crept back in and I have no motivation for exercise even though I know it will make me feel better. I'm sticking to things I enjoy like hiking and yoga but I work all day so it's difficult to get outside when it's daylight. I would go length swimming again but I can't afford it anymore. :(

I'm trying to give myself small goals each day. Make sure I'm sleeping well. Thinking about it I might try and focus on lifting this winter.