Polyunsaturated & Monounsaturated Fats Log on MFP

Options
JollyHodgers87
JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone know why my fitness pal's goal for poly and mono unsaturated fats are 0 grams when the saturated fat goal is higher at 13 grams?

I have read that the unsaturated fats are the good kind of fat and many of the veggies and such that contain the good fats are full of antioxidants and fiber and such (Ie... avacados, coconut oil...) and that the saturated fats (fried foods, starches etc..) are the ones that are bad for you.

So why is the goal 0g for the good kind of fats?

And in this case, does anyone know, if you go over and have -3 or -10 on the unsaturated fats but very low saturated is this a good thing? I would think so. But, like I say my fitness pal says to eat more saturated fat than what I read is good on the nutrient details.

And the total fat goal is 40g which doesn't add up really if you look at the breakdown of each type and how much it says to consume of each.

Thanks.

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Fats aren't full of antioxidants (as far as I know?) or fiber. Fiber is a carbohydrate.

The reason is because there isn't an actual recommendation as to how much of those fats we should eat, but saturated fats have an upper limit, so they plug that in. It doesn't mean it's bad to have the mono- and poly-unsaturated fats. There just isn't a number to apply to it.
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Fats aren't full of antioxidants (as far as I know?) or fiber. Fiber is a carbohydrate.

The reason is becsuse there isn't an actual recommendation as to how much of those fats we should eat, but saturated fats have an upper limit, so they plug that in. It doesn't mean it's bad to have the mono- and poly-unsaturated fats. There just isn't a number to apply to it.

I'm going to re-word my question. Sorry for the confusion. I just meant some of the veggies etc that contain the good fats have antioxidents. Like avacados etc.... Thanks for the help! I understand now. I was confused when I noticed this! LOL
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

The reason is becsuse there isn't an actual recommendation as to how much of those fats we should eat, but saturated fats have an upper limit, so they plug that in. It doesn't mean it's bad to have the mono- and poly-unsaturated fats. There just isn't a number to apply to it.

I'm going to re-word my question. Sorry for the confusion. I just meant some of the veggies etc that contain the good fats have antioxidents. Like avacados etc.... Thanks for the help! I understand now. I was confused when I noticed this! LOL

I was so hoping that was what you meant, but one can never be sure lol