Your favorite yummy & healthy recipe that fits your macros

Options
ririkaras
ririkaras Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2016 in Recipes
Does anyone have any good ones? Please share! I tend to create ones low in fat and high in protein for my macros.

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe I found online and tweaked a little bit as I learned, as well as using tips my aunt gave me. I LOVE a good curry, ever since I was a kid and my aunt made it for me when she came to visit from England. Anyways, this recipe is pretty time-consuming but fairly easy and so delicious! I also like the fact that you can change small things about it for flavor or to save on calories. I like to have my curry on quinoa when I need more protein and less carbs - or I eat it without any rice / quinoa at all - still yummy! In fact I did that last night for dinner. This stuff is so filling even by itself, and I usually add a couple spoonfuls of plain Greek yogurt to my plateful. So here it is! Prepare to be chopping and stirring for quite a while. lol

Ingredients
    3 Tbsp curry or tandoori paste (I use Pataks brand, Madras curry paste)
    1 cup natural, plain yogurt (My favorite is Fage 0% Plain Greek yogurt)
    1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
    6 tbsp cream (I use heavy whipping cream)
    14 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes, drain most of the liquid
    2-4 inch peeled and grated root ginger (you can use a spoon to peel ginger root, fairly easily)
    4-5 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
    2-4 tbsp cooking oil (I use olive oil) and 1-2 tbls unsalted butter
    1 medium white or yellow onion, peeled and chopped
    4 Serrano peppers OR 2 Anaheim peppers, seeded and finely chopped (I prefer Anaheim peppers after trying both. They don't have quite as much of a bite as the Serrano peppers do, but still pack the heat I love. You should leave the seeds and membrane in if you like curry to be very hot - I usually leave the seeds and membrane in one Anaheim pepper or 2 Serranos. Also, I recommend using gloves to handle the peppers!)

In a small, separate container, mix together:
    1 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp garam masala
    1/2 tsp chili powder

Directions
    Cut chicken diagonally into equal portions of bite-sized pieces. Coat chicken pieces lightly in sprinkles of salt, turmeric, and curry powder. Put the curry or tandoori paste into a bowl with the yogurt, stir well, then add the chicken pieces and stir again. Cover tightly and put the bowl into the fridge for at least 2-4 hours. You can marinate for longer or overnight for a deeper marinade - I like to put mine in the fridge the night before.

Preheat the oven to 350F
    Put the chicken pieces into an ovenproof dish coated lightly in oil or butter, and bake for 10-20 minutes. If needed / desired, you can keep the chicken in the oven on "warm" setting until ready to use.

Meanwhile, blend together the cream and tomatoes in a food processor or blender and set it aside.

Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan on low heat. Peel and chop the onion, then add to the heated pan. Simmer on low heat until the onion begins to turn translucent and becomes fragrant. Add a dash of salt and pepper if desired.

While the onion cooks, peel and mince the garlic and ginger, then add to the pan and continue to simmer on low heat until fragrant and onions are golden brown.

Next, finely chop the peppers, removing seeds and membranes if desired, then add to the pan along with the premixed spices. If the mixture becomes too thick and sticks to the pain, add a sprinkle of hot water. Simmer on low heat for another 2-5 minutes.

Next, add in the chicken pieces, along with any juices or leftover yogurt marinade from the baking dish, and simmer on low for another 5 minutes.

Lastly, add in the tomato and cream mixture, cover, and simmer over very low heat for at least 10-20 minutes, stirring frequently. Slow, low simmering for 1-2 hours makes a much richer, smoother, thickened sauce. I usually simmer mine for about an hour and it always comes out perfect.

The curry should look a reddish orange when it’s done. The texture should be thick, but fairly smooth and creamy, depending on how finely you chopped the onions and peppers. If you want smoother sauce, try pureeing the onions and peppers before cooking.

If the sauce is too bitter, it might be from using too much turmeric. Try sprinkling in some sugar and a dash more cream. If this makes the sauce too sweet, add a bit more salt.

Serve with pitta breads, naans, or rice. Top with a dollop of yogurt if desired to take down some of the heat and add a little flavor.