You're not "plateauing"

Options
Information here for those who are newer and can't understand why they "stalled"

Definition of a plateau in weight loss is 6 weeks or more of no weight movement if one has been CONSISTENT with intake, calories burned, rest, etc. If this doesn't apply, it's not a plateau.

Had an extra bite or dessert- not a plateau
Went to a party- not a plateau
Drank a glass of wine when usually you don't at all- not a plateau
Didn't work out for a week, when you're usually consistent with it- not a plateau
Didn't weigh your food that week- not a plateau

So if one's weight "stalls" for a week or 2, it's usually because of something you did that you don't normally do. Yes that even means making your exercise more intense or longer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing @ninerbuff .
    You always provide good quality information
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    what if I am really good at portioning my food and don't need to weigh my food? surely I'm a not losing for another reason?

If it's not working, then it would be time to revisit that assumption.

Time for the flow chart...
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    I <3@ninerbuff. That is all.

I do too, most of the time:).
  • mrsbudryzer
    mrsbudryzer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Brilliant.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've seen people get frustrated and give up if they haven't seen a loss in a couple of days. Sometimes all that's needed is a little patience, adjusted expectations, and a better understanding of natural weight fluctuations.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it seems like this word (plateau) just gets in the way, blocking many paths. Like, they'd have been better off not learning of its existence. To really believe you've plateaued, and not think you can do anything about it... soul destroying, I can only imagine.

I thankfully didn't read much into plateauing when I was first venturing. Only knew of the various reasons why we could 'stall'.

I'm sure the word serves a purpose, like other labels, just perhaps not in some ways.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks @ninerbuff... How many threads did you read just today that covers this? I read many.

Need to keep this bumped?