Fasting

Options
ninoguapo
ninoguapo Posts: 1 Member
Does anyone know if fasting is a good way to lose weight?

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    It works for some people, but I don't fast unless I'm asleep and lose weight just fine. Eating fewer calories is always a good way to lose weight. When you eat them is up to you.
    7268894 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It really is the only lasting method. Google Jason fung. It will change your life.
    Options
    Again, Jason Fung. Fewer calories is failed science perpetuated by ignorance and greed. Doomed to fail. Think biggest loser. They always gain it back
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    7268894 wrote: »
    It really is the only lasting method. Google Jason fung. It will change your life.

no
    She's right, he's a quack.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to fast? Eating the right amount calories everyday is a lot easier than fasting.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Should probably clarify what type of fasting. So many different options. Juice fast, egg fast, fasting for several days, IF, ADF, etc. Some are bunk, and some can be sustainable. Do your research and look at how you will be able to balance your nutritional needs. There are a lot of factors to consider, but weight loss comes from eating fewer calories than you burn throughout the day (just living and breathing as well as through intentional exercise). How you create that balance, is more about individual preferences.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    hmm I do IF 16:8 lately its more like 18:6 and I lost weight.Im still in a caloric deficit though. so if its failed science then I guess my weight loss is all in my head and everyone elses too.
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    NoMoreAfatChick Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    ninoguapo wrote: »

Hello... I am not sure if it is a good way or not.. But i am on OMAD(One Meal A Day). I just started OMAD on 5th of this month and till now i didnt face any issues as such. I am having good energy levels and am able to do my regular work and going to gym(lite exercises) aswell. i have lost 2.5pounds in a weeks time.

But if you ask me if i am gonna continue forever then the answer is "definite NO". I am doing it because i cannot have 6 200calorie meals and feel unsatisfied.

At the end of the day do whatever is good for your body. experiment on it a little bit. You will ultimately get to know what is best for you.

Good Luck!!
    Options
    Nice job friend
    ninoguapo wrote: »

Hello... I am not sure if it is a good way or not.. But i am on OMAD(One Meal A Day). I just started OMAD on 5th of this month and till now i didnt face any issues as such. I am having good energy levels and am able to do my regular work and going to gym(lite exercises) aswell. i have lost 2.5pounds in a weeks time.

But if you ask me if i am gonna continue forever then the answer is "definite NO". I am doing it because i cannot have 6 200calorie meals and feel unsatisfied.

At the end of the day do whatever is good for your body. experiment on it a little bit. You will ultimately get to know what is best for you.

Good Luck!!

• LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I can tell you my experience: I've tried fasting and it is just the worst. I will eventually give up, binge on carbs, and gain weight. I fail and then feel bad about myself. But calorie counting and exercise is so much better! It allows for leeway and it seems like it is much easier to forgive yourself if you make a mistake and go over your calorie count. With fasting, once you eat you lose.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Look, I practice IF because it helps me stay in my calorie limits (convenient).
    Most people here have read Jason Fung (you're new on this site, but IF is well-known here, as is Dr. Fung)

IF works if you create a calorie deficit. Many people also maintain or bulk on IF. There's no 'magic' about it.

There are groups here that practice many forms of IF.. go there and learn before spamming.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    THis discussion has been cleaned up to remove 3 pages of debate. If you are looking for the debate, please check out this page in the Debate section: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10542989/fasting#latest

Lets focus on helping OP here in the Getting Started section.

Thanks,
    Em
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Fasting is one way that people use to help control the amount of calories eaten. There are various types of fasting that people use, but in the end it comes down to calorie control. If it works for you to eat within a 6 hour window or to only eat one meal a day and meet your calorie goal use that method. If the method of fasting you use causes you to over eat or under eat it's a good idea to reevaluate the method and what will work for you long term.