My Top 10 Mistakes

Options
DaveMustGetFit
DaveMustGetFit Posts: 43 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
1. Giving in after 1 bad day
2. Self defeating voice "well I am off the band wagon so I will just eat anything I want"
3. Accepting "this special occasion" as an excuse to eat badly (we are lucky enough to have special occasions almost every week in many parts of the western world)
4. Giving into peer pressure - "one slice of cake won't kill you"
5. Not writing everything down
6. Not treating sleep seriously as part of the equation
7. Drinking away my calories
8. Feeling defeat because of the plateau and giving in
9. Losing lots of weight and bouncing right back up based on the false premise that I can just magically regain control after a week of doing what I want
10. Getting over confident about my level of self control

Replies

• grenachegirl
    grenachegirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! Every. Single. One.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Yup. All of the above.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Great list.
  • anniezmom425
    anniezmom425 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Author Gretchen Rubin calls #2 and #3 loopholes! I'm pretty good at spotting them in my day. However, I hadn't thought about how we Westerners have lots of special occasions. I do allow that loophole and consequently eat poorly at least once a week for some special occasion or another. Thanks for the insight.

#10. I don't have self-control? Ouch. I don't like reading that. I tell myself I do, but if I did, I would have lost weight by now. When did you realize self-control is important to losing weight and getting fit? How do you gain confidence in this area? Why don't I have self control?

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I could've written that list.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Oh wow thats a great list. I've been good Sept 2016 thru April 2017 since then I'm struggling and finding ways to eat everything in sight. I have 10 lbs to reach my goal but after losing 70 lbs I tell myself I can have a cheat day but thats doesn't last one day. Time to get accurately logging.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did all of these up until this time...not sure why this time was different.

Only one I disagree with is 9...

I choose 1 or 2 maybe 3 weeks every year where I eat what I want and drink what I want without recrimination.

1 of those weeks I am south during the winter at an all inclusive.
    1 of those weeks is in the summer at the cottage
    The last week is Christmas.

but that being said I can't eat as much as i used to so it doesn't derail me...

We all need breaks and I take them this time.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Yup, very relate-able.

The only thing I never skimp on is sleep... 8 hours a night, every night!
  • DaveMustGetFit
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great replies.
  • DaveMustGetFit
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Skyle33 wrote: »
    Here's the thing. Just do it. Stop failing and just do it, you have to decide for yourself what's motivating you and keep that drive firing all day every day. If you really want to get it done, you will. It's cliche but always keep your eye on the prize. *kitten*. Be a beast and don't let life run you, make this *kitten* your *kitten*. Excuse my language? Nah don't excuse it. Work man, just work. No one has time to screw around and not get what they want out of diet and nutrition. It's pointless to struggle and go back and forth, you'll make no progress as I'm sure you already figured out. On a side note, are you exercising enough? Exercise will drive your bad habits out the window because you feel like *kitten* mentally and physically if you exercise and have poor nutrition: keep that in mind. Anyway, after not addressing a single one of your bullet points directly, I hope I squashed all 10. The next post I want to see from you is how you are conquering and controlling this crucial aspect of your life, and how mad you are for not taking total control sooner, because 0.0% of people can say they regret sticking to a healthy life style with proper eating habits. And remember, temptations are life's tests, peer pressure is not your friend in this case, unless you want to look like those peers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . I strive to be better than those around me, and if that means denying a piece of cake, okay who cares, I won't ever regret that, I'll only feel better having not had it. Overall, stay strong and remind yourself every second of everyday what it is you want out of this, and I promise you will succeed.

• DaveMustGetFit
    Options
    Skyle - your advice has stuck with me. I really liked the tough love. Thanks man! I am making headway.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The only thing I try very hard not to do is #5.
    If I start being sloppy I want it documented. I don't care how off the wagon I go. I wrote it down so that I have some comparable info.
    Very helpful post though
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    rmgnow wrote: »
    The only thing I try very hard not to do is #5.
    If I start being sloppy I want it documented. I don't care how off the wagon I go. I wrote it down so that I have some comparable info.
    Very helpful post though

That is what he means by #5. the mistake was "not writing it down" suggesting he would record everything on bad days as you said.