Depression

Options
moya_bleh
moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
Are there any fellow MPFers who suffer from depression on here? I've just been put back on fluoxetine and struggle with low self-esteem. My lifting and fitness routine help greatly in terms of endorphin release etc. but I still have trouble transferring the benefits of a better body to the mind, so to speak.

Replies

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Me too. The release from exercise is usually a temporary high
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I do. I've been on fluoxetine for almost a year and a half now. I feel great when I work out as well (or even just take a long walk) but my issue is actually doing it -- because I'd be doing it for myself, and that's something I struggle with.

I also just finished a difficult round of therapy, with the summer as a natural break before we do a kind of check-in sometime in August to see where to go from there. So this is kind of my time to work on my issues "by myself" which is both liberating and difficult. Liberating in the sense that I feel like I can do it without the "crutch" of my therapist (I sometimes used her as such) but difficult because, you know, well, depression.

I have gone off fluoxetine in the past (though without doctor's advice) more than once, and it's the restart that feels the most difficult (for me). It's when I feel the most disconnected to everything and I just go through the motions without really seeing things around me (like dishes!). I'm not sure how you feel, since everyone is different, but hopefully this is the start-up period and things will improve.
  • moya_bleh
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I was receiving therapy for deep-rooted self-esteem issues that go back to my childhood. I came off fluoxetine (without doctor's advice, bad move) and I thought that I was better enough to try and get back out there so to speak. I met somebody in February, and within two months I realised that the 'responsibility' of being somebody's partner was too much and my insecurities, feelings of low self-worth, my overwhelming need for external validation due to said lack of self-worth and being unattractive soon became an obstacle and we split recently. I'm devastated of course, but maybe I needed this to happen to show that I am not out of the woods yet and I need to tackle the need for external validation 100% once and for all before I go inflicting myself on anybody again.
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yep ... very much continually feeling whatever i do in whatever avenue of my life isn't good enough
    Zero translation of progress into any sense of accomplishment. Currently undergoing some counselling but not on meds
  • Neurotic22
    Neurotic22 Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @moya_bleh so sorry to hear that. I remember going through a similar situation and I haven't been in a relationship for years due to the same reasons - it's lonely at times, but I do feel more internally validated and don't take as much note on what others might think.

Hope you find the same and then end up in a stronger relationship because of it!
  • moya_bleh
    Options
    Neurotic22 wrote: »
    @moya_bleh so sorry to hear that. I remember going through a similar situation and I haven't been in a relationship for years due to the same reasons - it's lonely at times, but I do feel more internally validated and don't take as much note on what others might think.

Hope you find the same and then end up in a stronger relationship because of it!

Thank you, I wish the same for you too.

@88olds I see what you mean, I need to write down what other goals I have in life and see if the mentality used in physical training can be applied to those also.
  • highlightshadow
    Options
    Ironic (slightly) in the sense that my counsillor asked me recently if i felt that once i 'got in shape' i'd not have my self-esteem / anxiety issues .... if they were related..... i said i didn't think so ... interesting that your profile picture shows a body image that i can barely dream of and you have same problem.....
    Many people equate thin = confident / assured

• moya_bleh
    Options
    Panda8ach wrote: »
    I have a number of mental health 'issues' and I know this will sound like total hippy crap BUT mindfulness and meditation helps me so much :) Headspace is a cool app to get started with :)

I have been using mindfulness meditation since being recommended it by a previous therapist. I have a few exercises saved to my phone.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have a number of mental health 'issues' and I know this will sound like total hippy crap BUT mindfulness and meditation helps me so much :) Headspace is a cool app to get started with :)

I'm down with the hippy crap cuz this helps me as well. Practicing yoga has also helped with my depression. I try to do it at least twice a week in addition to my regular workouts.

• Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I'm down with the hippy crap cuz this helps me as well. Practicing yoga has also helped with my depression. I try to do it at least twice a week in addition to my regular workouts.

I've just started yoga... I really enjoy it :) Big question is.... Do you own Harem pants? Lol :D

Mental health is a ball ache but we'll all be OK :)
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

I've just started yoga... I really enjoy it :) Big question is.... Do you own Harem pants? Lol :D

Mental health is a ball ache but we'll all be OK :)

The fact that I had to google "harem pants" should tell you that the answer is NO! :p
  • highlightshadow
    Options

My therapist has encouraged me to do the same but i struggle with consistency and end up feeling bad for not doing it
  • highlightshadow
    Options
    @Sunna_W Just bought that book you recommended on Audible ... so i can listen to it on my travels
    Thanks

What you quoted did resonate pretty hard