I suck at running. Discuss.

Options
My new favorite Pinterest quote is, "if you suck at running, keep doing it."

So I do. And I continue to suck.

All joking aside, I really do struggle with running. I want to keep doing it so that someday, maybe even just for one run, it won't feel like such an impossible struggle. I'm 33 years old, 5'7", 130lbs (down from 150, yay!), and I exercise 4-5 times a week, including running, strength training, and yoga. Right now I'm working up to running a 10k, though I've done a half marathon in the past (the longest I've ever run without having to stop is 10 miles, just once, 3 years ago). When I run, I feel like an obese chain smoker. My heart rate is steady at 175-180 on flat ground, and 190-195 on hills, no matter what distance I run. I breathe SO loudly, I scare people if I come up behind them! I'm lucky if I can maintain a 10 minute mile for 3 miles. Usually I'm closer to 11 or 12 minute miles. Sometimes when I'm running a longer distance like 5 miles, my body just stops and I double over trying to breathe. I tell myself "keep going, keep going, you can do it!" But then I fall short. WTF.

Does it ever get better??????

I'm not really expecting an answer, I just needed someplace to vent.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I also suck at running, so I don't do it. I prefer other forms of cardio....
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is good at running. Not everyone is good at ballet, or waterskiing, pole dancing, tennis, or mountain biking -- and so what? You can suck at something and still like it. You can suck at something and try something else; running isn't the only or even necessarily the best exercise for fitness. It's up to you.

I can run, but I don't...I prefer nice long walks and hikes, thank you very much. Don't let avid runners bully you into thinking you have to run to achieve fitness, or that you have to make a certain time, or have to run a 5K. Your fitness, your goals.

Also, you may be pushing yourself too hard too fast. It really sounds like you would benefit from coaching. You'd think that running wouldn't need instruction, but there's a reason runners have coaches. Or even a good running fitness message board or personal trainer who has running experience.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I suck at running too. Literally. I suck so much air when I'm running I think I'm going to hyperventilate. BUT I don't want to stop running (or run-walking). For some bizarre reason, I sorta-kinda like it. But I'm in worse shape than you... I'm 51 years old and weigh 155. I'm 5'6". I'm trying to lose weight so that running will become easier for me. I've just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, so I'm hoping the medication will help with that. So, my advice to you is that if you truly like running, DON'T give it up. Maybe join a running group or some kind of "class" that will help you with running or give you pointers. I'm not going to give up, I'm just going to chug along, trying to improve little by little and enjoy it.
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible at it too! I know I look like an idiot and I'm always so red and sweaty. But I have three kids and my half hour of running by myself is quite fantastic :) that being said, I can't commit to more than 30-40 minutes a day so I'm happy if i can 3-4 miles in. I've done a couple 5ks with my husband and I'm pretty happy to never do anything longer than that. Not right now anyway. And I do think if I pushed myself to go a lot farther I might not enjoy it, so I'm planning to just do this for awhile!
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thank you for indulging me and for the responses. :) I do feel like running is a good way to get cardio (I also love hiking and other outdoor activities, but it's not an option for me for weekly exercise). I don't hate running, I just hate how much I suck at it.

You're right, pace really shouldn't matter. I guess for me it feels like I shouldn't struggle as much as I do at a slow pace. It makes me feel so out of shape, and I'm not. I'm certainly not in the best shape, but I feel like I should be able to keep up with people who exercise far less than I do. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others, but it's hard not to!

I am following a training program for the 10k. It's a novice program, so it's working well in regards to distance.

It doesn't help that I often run with my boyfriend, who can run farther and faster than me with no training at all. Recently I went on a 4 mile run with my brothers, one of which hadn't run at all in 5 years. He blew me away and kept up with our other brother like it was nothing. I don't expect it to come that easily to me, but this is why I feel so pathetic!

• Eire228
    Options
    I suck at running too. Literally. I suck so much air when I'm running I think I'm going to hyperventilate. BUT I don't want to stop running (or run-walking). For some bizarre reason, I sorta-kinda like it. But I'm in worse shape than you... I'm 51 years old and weigh 155. I'm 5'6". I'm trying to lose weight so that running will become easier for me. I've just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, so I'm hoping the medication will help with that. So, my advice to you is that if you truly like running, DON'T give it up. Maybe join a running group or some kind of "class" that will help you with running or give you pointers. I'm not going to give up, I'm just going to chug along, trying to improve little by little and enjoy it.

Good for you!! And thank you for the response. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one struggling out there. Your response was very helpful for me. Keep on keepin' on. And that is a great idea to join a run group. I'm surrounded by people who don't struggle when they run, and that's part of what feeds my negative thoughts. I need to find some runners that are similar to me. :)

Running is what helped me lose 20lbs three years ago, which is why I haven't given it up yet, despite my lack of improvement. So hopefully it will help you reach your goal weight as well! :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Eire228 wrote: »
    Thank you for indulging me and for the responses. :) I do feel like running is a good way to get cardio (I also love hiking and other outdoor activities, but it's not an option for me for weekly exercise). I don't hate running, I just hate how much I suck at it.

You're right, pace really shouldn't matter. I guess for me it feels like I shouldn't struggle as much as I do at a slow pace. It makes me feel so out of shape, and I'm not. I'm certainly not in the best shape, but I feel like I should be able to keep up with people who exercise far less than I do. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others, but it's hard not to!

I am following a training program for the 10k. It's a novice program, so it's working well in regards to distance.

It doesn't help that I often run with my boyfriend, who can run farther and faster than me with no training at all. Recently I went on a 4 mile run with my brothers, one of which hadn't run at all in 5 years. He blew me away and kept up with our other brother like it was nothing. I don't expect it to come that easily to me, but this is why I feel so pathetic!

You sound like me with my swimming. I am not fast and I am not pretty but I CAN swim a mile (Planning to get up to 1.5 miles).

Forget about everyone else. Each time you go out, work on something: speed, form, breathing, posture, etc. and just work on turning yourself into the best runner YOU can be
  • prima_donut
    prima_donut Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you need to find your comfortable pace and the previous poster who said to stop comparing is right. I actually hate running with other people because I feel like I need to match their pace and that removes all the joy from the activity. Last year I ran a 15K and a half and was well over 200 when I did them. Pace improves naturally over time. Focus on the process, and limit yourself to 3-4 runs per week. 1-2 should be half hour length easy runs, one should be hills if you want to improve speed, and only one should be a long run of the distance you are planning to run in your next race. If your lungs are burning as you described I think you are likely running above your natural pace so it's no wonder you hate it!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Thank you for indulging me and for the responses. :)

not at all :tongue: i've never been able to sustain any 'i'm going to turn into a runner' attempts very long - absolute soft-tissue armageddon every time. so it's nice having the company.

• MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I sucked at running... the kind of sucking where a mile felt like the end of the world. I did the couch to 5k program partially through a few times but always repeated every week at least twice. I started jogging on the treadmill in intervals and slowly increased my pace. If you are trying to increase speed without feeling like you are dying, I would trying doing just a mile or two and go faster. I would save the distance running for separate times. Those short fast runs are suppose to increase your long distance times.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're definitely running to fast if you have to actually stop dead. Run slower, walk if necessary.

How long ago did you do the half?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Comparison is the thief of joy...
  • Eire228
    Options
    You're definitely running to fast if you have to actually stop dead. Run slower, walk if necessary.

How long ago did you do the half?

I did one three years ago, and another last fall, but unfortunately had to walk the last 3 miles because I tweaked my knee. My knee is fine now, I think it was all of the downhill in that particular race (before going back uphill!).

Thank you all so much for your responses. I was feeling particularly low after my 5 mile run this morning (following my 10k plan), and you've all helped tremendously. It helps me knowing that there are others out there that "suck" at running, too. And some of you helped me put my negative thoughts about my personal struggles into perspective.
  • TeethOfTheHydra
    TeethOfTheHydra Posts: 63 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Frankly, pushing a heartrate of 180+ doesn't sound healthy or safe to me. You could consider switching to an elliptical machine for a while so you can better monitor and control your pace/level and systematically build up your stamina and circulatory strength.