How to kick *kitten* on the weekend too

Options
I can't get past weekends, I do well during the week and by Friday the weekend consumes me. We either go out eating and drinking with friends or we have unhealthy food at home.

How do you keep a social life and stay in your goals? Alcohol is ridiculous in calories and that's what alot of people do socially here.

I'm about to become a hermit to keep my goals in check!!!

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I love love love going out, so I set my goals by week, not month. I basically figured out the lowest I am comfortable eating on a staying-in night - right now that's about a 900 calorie deficit - and have been gradually dialing back the going out nights, but trying to keep my targets realistic so I don't get discouraged. Right now my goal is to only go out twice a week and not to exceed 500 calories over maintenance each time, which basically gives me 1400 calories to play with when I go out. This puts my weight loss at about 4 lbs a month, which I am completely happy with. I'd certainly be losing faster if I stuck to the larger deficit every single day, but I'm pretty sure I'd be grumpy and lonely and give up.

ETA: Also, once I accepted that I didn't want to give up going out entirely, I spent some time experimenting with my drink options to figure out what worked out best. Switching to hard cider upped my calorie-per-drink average, but cut down my drink-per-sitting average and came out to a net win, both for my calorie count and my liver.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I get in a good workout on Saturday and allow myself to let loose for that evening.
    Sometimes I will have something outside of my usual foods on Sunday too but nothing too extreme.
    I don't drink so that removes one potential issue.
    I do my best to stay on track and leave some calories over on weekdays.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a tendency to eat out Friday-Sunday. To cut back on that, I now plan a special meal for Friday nights. It might be a new healthy recipe I'm excited to try, a big fancy at-home dinner, or splurging on something not traditionally healthy but something in which I can still control the calories. That way it's something different to look forward to, but it's easier to stay in control (and it's better for your wallet too)!

Going out is okay too though- try picking restaurants that have healthier options (Cheesecake Factory has a great variety of meals under 600 cals) or host a dinner or BBQ at your house with your friends instead of going out. Or if you realllllly want something in particular, work out a little extra that week, or be careful to stick to your goals during the week so you have a little wiggle room on the weekends. Some people look at their calories for the week, rather than by the day, which is what I'm starting to do because weekends are harder for me as well!

As far as alcohol goes, there are some lowish-cal options. Vodka soda (as in club soda) might take some getting used to but with lots of fresh lime in it, I think it's really good and refreshing!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    jmac4263 wrote: »
    I can't get past weekends, I do well during the week and by Friday the weekend consumes me. We either go out eating and drinking with friends or we have unhealthy food at home.

How do you keep a social life and stay in your goals? Alcohol is ridiculous in calories and that's what alot of people do socially here.

I'm about to become a hermit to keep my goals in check!!!

Ah, youth :) With alcohol - choose the less-caloric (fewer beers, and cocktails, choosing spirits of choice + club soda & a wedge of citrus for flavor). Eating out - if you go the burger route, pass on the fries (steal two and two only from your friends lol). If you eat out at a place with more options, substitute more vegetables for starchy sides, have salad dressings on the sides, etc. If it's pizza, meat-loaded ones are the calorie bombs. I could suggest some options for "unhealthy food at home" if you said more about what that entails.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I eat more on weekends...I'm also way more active on weekends...
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,958 Member
    Options
    My guy and I are doing this together. We exercise six days a week. Fridays we take off at the gym. We treat ourselves to a cheat meal on Friday and Saturday nights. We will also have some alcohol. It is planned and we get right back on track. It works for us. Might see a little water weight on Monday AM, but it comes off. I only weigh on Friday AM's so I never see it. LOL Got to live and enjoy life. It is too short! Everybody needs to do what works best for them. B)