Health Concerns & My Weight

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
edited April 2018 in Introduce Yourself
I've had a lot of health issues this year. I need to make changes. I've had MFP for a while, and I did manage to lose some weight in 2016. I know it works. I need to be more consistent and dedicated.

I have had some bad leg issues (calf strain, IT band issues, tendonitis, partially dislocated kneecap), and I had a pulmonary embolism this year. My weight is likely the new factor that broke the camel's back, to use my chiropodists' turn of phrase. She was referring to why my weight is causing leg problems now, even though my foot problems are chronic, but I think it applies to the other issues too.

I'm still in my early 20s, and while many people are my size and still okay, I am not okay. My BMI is at 38, and it's already causing a lot of strain on my body in a lot of ways.

I won't know I've reached my goals when I've hit a normal BMI (skeptical about my ability there) or lost a certain number of pounds. Success is, to me, re-writing my normal and creating a new baseline of health, habits, and ability. Being less afraid of injury when I go for a short walk, for instance. Feeling able to do the free physical activity classes at my gym, for example. Feeling stronger, mentally and physically.

I'm struggling with avoiding injury and increasing physical strength from nearly zero, emotional/stress eating, and general/habitual overeating.

Hi.

Replies

• AsgardW0lf
    AsgardW0lf Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well met Kiela64! Sounds like you've got a lot going on! The fact that you're on here sharing your story shows a) You've got guts and b) You want to change! Well done!
  • kiela64
    Options
    AsgardW0lf wrote: »
    Well met Kiela64! Sounds like you've got a lot going on! The fact that you're on here sharing your story shows a) You've got guts and b) You want to change! Well done!

Thank you. Haha, as someone who was too afraid to go to the gym today because I know I'm going to fumble with unfamiliar equipment in front of people, it's a little funny to hear "guts" as a descriptor. :D
  • AsgardW0lf
    Options
    Remember 2 things.... 1) Reaching out and asking for help takes guts! Pure and simple!! And 2) Even the most competent and experienced gym user was a newbie at one time! Everyone who walks into a gym for the first time will look at some of the equipment and not have a damn clue on how to use it!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm sorry you are experiencing such problems at a very young age. Please do not try to do this alone. I hope you can find a sympathetic doctor who can rule out any possible health issues which make weight loss more difficult, and then introduce you to weight loss support which could help with your stress issues, counselling can really help, nutritional guidance will be a real help to you. The best advice I had was given was, to cut back on added sugar, probably means reading many labels, its not easy when feeling low because sweet foods are so appealing. Also increasing your daily activity, as able, can be as effective as attending a gym, without the feeling you are being criticised.

All the very best, I'm glad you are trying to take care of yourself, I hope you receive the best support available, keep looking till you find it.
  • kiela64
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Remember 2 things.... 1) Reaching out and asking for help takes guts! Pure and simple!! And 2) Even the most competent and experienced gym user was a newbie at one time! Everyone who walks into a gym for the first time will look at some of the equipment and not have a damn clue on how to use it!

Haha thank you :)

Yeah I think it’s almost more about the physical set up of the room. All of the weight machines are in a circle of cardio machines facing inward :P
  • AsgardW0lf
    Options
    So what do you aim for when you go to the gym!? Cardio or Resistance (weights)!?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    With the leg problems see if the bike or the recumbent bike works better for you. Try swimming or jogging in the pool.
  • kiela64
    Options
    So what do you aim for when you go to the gym!? Cardio or Resistance (weights)!?

As I am recovering from my leg injury I’m limited to 25min if walking or biking. I was hoping to try weights, I’ve used the gym machines at previous gyms. But things look different so they are intimidating.
  • kiela64
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    With the leg problems see if the bike or the recumbent bike works better for you. Try swimming or jogging in the pool.

Yes, that’s my plan! I need to brave the pool as well - another new/intimidating space. Once I go the first time I’ll be okay.
  • mxjasperm
    mxjasperm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I can't imagine your physical ailments complicate your progress, but I'm glad to see that you have enough motivation and optimism to analyze your options, as well as ask for help. Health and fitness goals are so personal, and it's hard to communicate your situation to, essentially, total strangers. It's also nice to know that I am not the only one who has been on-off with my MFP activity.

Though I don't have physiological conditions that hinder my health and wellness plans, my mental health and life circumstances have severely derailed me since 2016. I'm finally at a point that I can focus on the next step of my recovery, which includes becoming active again and focusing on my art career.

While I cannot offer medical advice or tips to aid your journey, I can offer my support. If you wish to correspond on here regularly I would be more than happy to supply encouragement =)

I hope you reach your goals, and more.
  • kiela64
    Options
    mxjasperm wrote: »
    Hello,

I can't imagine your physical ailments complicate your progress, but I'm glad to see that you have enough motivation and optimism to analyze your options, as well as ask for help. Health and fitness goals are so personal, and it's hard to communicate your situation to, essentially, total strangers. It's also nice to know that I am not the only one who has been on-off with my MFP activity.

Though I don't have physiological conditions that hinder my health and wellness plans, my mental health and life circumstances have severely derailed me since 2016. I'm finally at a point that I can focus on the next step of my recovery, which includes becoming active again and focusing on my art career.

While I cannot offer medical advice or tips to aid your journey, I can offer my support. If you wish to correspond on here regularly I would be more than happy to supply encouragement =)

I hope you reach your goals, and more.

Thank you! I never expect medical advice from MFP, don't worry. :) Support is always welcome.
  • AsgardW0lf
    edited April 2018
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »

As I am recovering from my leg injury I’m limited to 25min if walking or biking. I was hoping to try weights, I’ve used the gym machines at previous gyms. But things look different so they are intimidating.

The 4 hour body by Tim Ferris. It's on Amazon and Kindle. Have a look at chapters The slow carb diet and The perfect posterior! Sounds mad but the diet and exercises are easy to follow and you can do them at home. It uses Kettle bells again which you can get from Amazon. I don't know how tall or physically strong you are still so I don't know what weight you would need, I bought a 24kg one but I'm 6'2" and built like a brick out house! I have Bipolar, had a particularly bad spell and ballooned to 23st (146kg, 321lb). Following the book I got down to 18st (114kg, 250lb) giving me the confidence to go back to the gym!
  • kiela64
    edited April 2018
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »

The 4 hour body by Tim Ferris. It's on Amazon and Kindle. Have a look at chapters The slow carb diet and The perfect posterior! Sounds mad but the diet and exercises are easy to follow and you can do them at home. It uses Kettle bells again which you can get from Amazon. I don't know how tall or physically strong you are still so I don't know what weight you would need, I bought a 24kg one but I'm 6'2" and built like a brick our house?

Thank you for the recommendation. I will keep it in mind! I would probably go for the physical copy as I prefer reference manuals to be in print, novels in epub format. :lol:

However I would like to use the things currently at my disposal without paying extra money. I have one set of 10lb dumbbells, a yoga mat, my foam roller, and a gym membership. I am pretty weak, so the 10lbs is heavy to me. I'm also exactly a foot shorter than you, lol.

For at home I will probably try to learn some more body weight exercises, once my physio is a little easier (currently I need to raise my body weight to foam roll my calves twice a day and it leaves me with shaking arms and very sore wrists, which discourages me from lifting anything at those times). I currently walk outdoors some days now it's nice and do my physio.

At the gym I am aiming to use the pool, stationary bike, and the weight machines. I do not know proper form with free weights so I am not going to try those things until I am significantly stronger (in which case I would ideally ask a friend with experience to show me around and help me out, if not a professional). Except the lighter dumbbells, which I have used in classes in the past. But again I'd need to look up some more correct form/exercises to do with them. The machines are something I have used in the past. Or, at least I've used about 5 different kinds of machines. My current gym has many more, and the style of them is different/newer and there will be a learning curve. But I think less chance of injury.

That's my plan right now. I can make general plans for when I'm stronger (by which I mean functional, basic strength to walk for 30+ min without injury, the 10lb dumbbells don't feel extraordinarily heavy, I feel better and able to do more and less afraid of injuring myself walking a short distance to a location from the subway or doing "too many stairs" in my day, etc). But first I need to get there.

The things I'm interested in pursuing at that point come from MFP. I have looked longingly at the Couch to 5k program, but I am not yet at their beginning point. I would also ideally work with a strength training program, maybe the one you've suggested. Maybe if I spend the next two months eating at a deficit (thus putting less strain on my body in activity), increasing functional strength, and increasing my ability to do light low-impact exercise like the bike, swimming, and walking - then I can say I'm ready to start doing these things. But of course I need to make sure my body is ready for these things. So all of those plans are tentative, and contingent on my success right now.
  • AsgardW0lf
    Options
    Sounds a solid plan!! Machines are great to start with as you don't have to worry about form too much! Check out this program, it might not be exactly what you're after but the site does have a massive database of videos on gym equipment!!
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/best-beginner-weight-training-guide-with-easy-to-follow-workout.html. I'm also an alternative therapist (Reiki, crystal healing, meditation, mindfulness) which I use to manage my Bipolar if you're interested in anything like that that might help the emotional side of things? Throw me a friend's request if you like!?
  • kiela64
    Options
    Sounds a solid plan!! Machines are great to start with as you don't have to worry about form too much! Check out this program, it might not be exactly what you're after but the site does have a massive database of videos on gym equipment!!
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/best-beginner-weight-training-guide-with-easy-to-follow-workout.html. I'm also an alternative therapist (Reiki, crystal healing, meditation, mindfulness) which I use to manage my Bipolar if you're interested in anything like that that might help the emotional side of things? Throw me a friend's request if you like!?

Thank you! I'll check it out. Videos are always helpful :smiley:

No thank you, you're welcome to add me but I'm not really interested in alternative things. Meditation and mindfulness are cool - I do yoga once a week and I think they're useful and good. But for therapy and healing I stick with more traditional routes. Thanks though!