Worst diet advice/misinformation that you have heard

Options
DoubleUbea
DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
Back when I was in college several of us were in a group, two girls broke off and were talking on their own. One girl was saying how she had really cut back on fats and oils.The other girl said she had to eat fats and oils, they were important, they help you [have a bowel movement]. Apparently she thought that oil lubricated the intestines.

Replies

• bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I think the slimming world 'free foods' are funny advice. Basically they pick low calorie foods and put them on a list and say you could eat as much of this food as you like as it's zero points. I wonder if there is anyone out there eating 3000kcal worth of 'free' foods and wondering why they're putting on weight.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    That you shouldn't eat carbs.

I hear this all the time.
  • RastaLousGirl
    Options
    Watermelon dieat
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Drink juice for a week and you’ll loose 20 pounds

• Mazda_Mx5
    Mazda_Mx5 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I stop watching Dr. Oz a long time ago.

lrj39cdt8yx2.jpeg
  • RastaLousGirl
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter what the diet or the advice is. Any weight loss advice that doesn't address the reality of hunger during weight loss and the need for appetite management and what techniques to use to achieve that is a waste of time for people who have a lot of weight to lose.

I agree.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    McDonalds salads are better for you than a McDonalds cheese burger. The cheese burger has less fat, less calories and more protein than the salad. The salad dressing is all fat and calories,iceberg lettuce has little nutritional value. Get rid of the cheese and bun on the burger and you are doing even better. Not that I recommend eating cheese burgers, just a discussion a co-worker and I got into.
  • bhadbahabi
    bhadbahabi Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have one that I made up when I was a teen. I didn't have any clue how to diet or what healthy food was because I believed that you could eat plain white bread and saltine crackers and lose weight. I mean, you could if the calories were low enough but I thought those foods just didn't really count. Boy, was I wrong.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed spin class when I first started losing weight. My doctor laughed at me and told me that I was wasting my time and cycling was useless in burning calories. Said I should run instead. Except the fact that my chest strap and heart rate monitor had me burning 500+ calories a class. He said this after I came in because I stopped losing weight. Turns out, I was 20+ weeks pregnant.

So, the argument that running/Zumba/Crossfit/whatever is the best workout ever and the only way to lose weight.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    last night it was that carrots are a better source of carbs that white rice...why i got into that debate i'll never know
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    The lemonade diet. All you have to do is drink this magical lemonade made with maple syrup and Cheyenne pepper and it magically resets you metabolism. First off it was nasty. Second, I was waiting tables at the time and nearly passed out from starving myself and only drinking this god awful lemonade in the middle of a Kentucky summer while running around like a crazy woman.

^^ that one. It was all the rage at my workplace for a while and this poor woman with Hep C wanted to try it. Fortunately we convinced her to consult her physician first, it probably would have killed her.
  • BrSpiritus
    BrSpiritus Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The lemonade diet. All you have to do is drink this magical lemonade made with maple syrup and Cheyenne pepper and it magically resets you metabolism. First off it was nasty. Second, I was waiting tables at the time and nearly passed out from starving myself and only drinking this god awful lemonade in the middle of a Kentucky summer while running around like a crazy woman.

My wife still insists on drinking a hot mug of lemon water every morning, swears it makes her poop. Whatever...
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    LouisTamsi wrote: »

My wife still insists on drinking a hot mug of lemon water every morning, swears it makes her poop. Whatever...

Probably does, because hot beverages make one poop. Not the lemon though.