Tips on how to not buy all the clothes when you've dropped a size? (but still have more to go)

kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I went on one impromptu shopping spree because my pants kept falling down at work and I saw 60% off sale and a not-too busy store and it lured me in. I spent lots of time trying things on and finding my size (2 sizes down, but different store/material etc so I figure it's more like one), and I found some really lovely new pants that actually fit and aren't threatening to slip off my hips!! And haven't been worn to shreds - a lot of my older clothes actually had to be tossed out because the thighs had worn holes.

I did a bit of a purge then, going through my clothes and tossing ones that were too worn out to wear and got a moderate-sized bag full of things that are nice but I either never actually was the right size for (too big even at my biggest) or just didn't really hang well. I kept my falling-down but still functional pants for layering in the winter. Or in case this whole endeavour fails, ya know, positive thinking.

But after replacing my pants I've noticed that my shirts are loose and stretched out too. Ones I thought I'd kept quite nice were slipping off my shoulder and made me look really bag-lady-ish. I saw a massive difference in the mirror when I tucked it in versus left it out, but didn't feel like I could leave it tucked.

...So I ordered more shirts and pants online during this big sale. Including again this morning. And I ended up spending the equivalent of a month's paycheque total (which is low because I'm part time and minimum wage but it's still like....I could have saved that...idk I feel weird about it).

But at the same time I just feel so excited to a) feel more confident in my body, and b) wear nicer, newer, non-stretched out clothes that actually fit!!! That it's really hard to calm down and step away from the "complete order" button. But I've got like more than a work-week's worth of new pants and a bunch of tops now. Plus a blazer, and a cute dress, and a belt. (It was a good sale though...)

I think I went overboard. Especially considering that this is NOT my goal weight/size, and if I get there I'll have to buy different clothes at least a couple more times if not more.

Bleh. Anyway, TL;DR just: what did you do? How did you avoid falling into this? Or what did you do with regards to changing clothing sizes over the course of your journey?

Idk I was so doubtful that losing weight would really happen/even that it was happening at all until I saw the difference in new not-falling-down clothes like....gosh that excitement is addicting!!

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    edited July 2018
    I shop at thrift stores.

Ditto. I've gotten some great stuff for like $3-$5 dollars. Luckily, I go down in pants sizes quicker than tops, so my shirts tend to last me a bit longer as I go down the scale. That, and because I have so much to lose, it takes longer between pants sizes. I started in a super tight size 18 (probably should've been in a 20) and 2XL tops, and nearly 70 lbs down and I'm just now getting in to a size 14 in some brands for pants and am still an XL in tops.

Also, summer is great for dresses and the flowy ones that are popular now last longer because they look good from being a bit snug all the way down to a bit loose.

Also, I buy as little as possible. For example, work clothes. I'm in the office 4 days a week. I currently have 4 pairs of pants that fit, and I won't buy more than that, I just switch up the tops that I wear and mix in some dresses.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    If it were me I would shop at thrift and consignment stores. I got a really nice dress that I wear to weddings and such at Goodwill for $6. Amazon has a lot of clothes as well, if you only order things with free shipping it's risk free. There should be a weight loss clothing swap group where people give away clothes that don't fit anymore. I'm not at risk of going up or down in sizes anymore, but I do a capsule wardrobe which helps w/ my spending and it helps me create a smaller wardrobe with only things that I really like and wear regularly. The key is to find shirts and bottoms that can easily be mix and matched. No impulse buying things because they "look cute"
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I shop at thrift stores.

Ditto. I've gotten some great stuff for like $3-$5 dollars. Luckily, I go down in pants sizes quicker than tops, so my shirts tend to last me a bit longer as I go down the scale. That, and because I have so much to lose, it takes longer between pants sizes. I started in a super tight size 18 (probably should've been in a 20) and 2XL tops, and nearly 70 lbs down and I'm just now getting in to a size 14 in some brands for pants and am still an XL in tops.

Also, summer is great for dresses and the flowy ones that are popular now last longer because they look good from being a bit snug all the way down to a bit loose.

Also, I buy as little as possible. For example, work clothes. I'm in the office 4 days a week. I currently have 4 pairs of pants that fit, and I won't buy more than that, I just switch up the tops that I wear and mix in some dresses.

That and when they get a bit loose you can always add a belt to make it more fitted at the waist
  • BigRed2525
    BigRed2525 Posts: 45 Member
    I try to snap up deals at consignment stores, and stick to garments that I have a good "range" in--something that will still look OK a bit down the road. Nothing too fitted or tailored, stretchy and flowy fabrics, that sort of thing. Belts and safety pins can also be your friend. :-)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Go to thrift stores and shop sales. I learned that I could buy bras pretty cheap on Amazon if I didn’t care what color they were.

Tops with a little stretch to them will last longer than a plain cotton top. If it’s slightly clingy but still wearable now, then it’ll be less clingy in a few months.

Get some belts. Belts are usually cheaper than pants.

If you can sew or have a good tailor, many things can be altered down a size or two.

Only buy a few things that you really need, and buy them in basic colors so you can mix and match. A few different cardigans, for example, can be paired with one t-shirt.

Don’t buy the expensive version of anything until you’ve been at your goal weight for a few months. My bra style still changed a little in the few months after I started maintenance.

Or you can just do as I did: run a lot of races and then live in race t-shirts for a few months :)
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    When I had clothes that I didn't wear for more than a few of months I either sold them or gave them for charity.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Oh I fell into this trap myself! Lol
    It was so nice to get out of the plus sizes that I bought a lot of clothes in a short time. Some of the tops are now big but I can still wear them, but the pants are useless to me now. If you really can't help yourself then yes I agree to the thrift stores.

Perhaps Try to remind yourself that there will be plenty of clothes to buy when you get to goal. I know it's hard but save your money for the smaller clothes to come.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited July 2018
    I've been shopping clearance sales, or buying things on Amazon. I had to ground myself from ordering amazon though, until my size is more permanent. I have bought new pants at thrift stores too, but often times I find things brand new on clearance for the price that a lot of thrift stores are selling worn items for. The key is trying to shop "off season" for the things you want. Retail is always a month or two ahead of what the actual season is. So like right now, "Fall" merchandise is coming in to stores and they are beginning to clearance out "summer" merchandise. Which is great because there is plenty of summer left. The spring stuff is 60% (or more) off already, so you can find "spring colored" long sleeve shirts, or "spring" jeans. My most recent find was a $40 pair of ankle crops for like 16 bucks. Sears and Kohl's usually has really great clearance. I was just in at Kohl's and they were selling all their spring sweaters for 80% off (I think).

ETA: It is really easy to get excited and go a little nuts with the new in-between clothes. I can not offer much advise on this, except to try and pick clothes that will still look good as they get a little loose.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Another non-thrift store shopper here. I too shop sales and 'off-season' and have lived with a very basic, limited wardrobe while losing. I've started buying a few more things now that I'm closing in on maintenance but still not going crazy. I usually had 2-pairs of work slacks in basic colors (black/grey/tan) and a few shirts to rotate through with a couple of cardigans. For casual stuff, I had one pair of jeans at at a time that fit and a few t-shirts.

Have you lost out of your shoes yet? I'm having to replace all of those as well :lol:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I wear pants or skirts with a stretch waistband. My hips are at my goal size but my waist is bigger so I buy pants that fit my hips. I have a few maternity bottoms that don't look like maternity wear really. I have not had to replace pants unless they were worn out and have not replaced skirts at all.
    I bought some new tops that were in my new size. It will be awhile before they are baggy. I will still wear my larger sweaters and coat.
    I have gotten things at a thrift store that were really new looking for super cheap. The one I go to periodically has a last chance rack where the low prices are further reduced when they want to make room.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    A seamstress is my best friend. I have been in 3 times this year tailoring my nicer more expensive clothes. I rotate what I take to her so I’m not tailoring everything at the same time.

I also wear things with a belt and untucked shirt to hide how big they are.

It’s a nice problem to have.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    I'm cheap. At this point I only buy what I need, I can't justify spending too much money on clothes I eventually won't be able to wear. Saving my splurging for goal weight, I already have a shopping list lol
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    I've shopped at thrift stores, but found that a lot of what I found wasn't my style in the least. I really like consignment stores and resale shops (like Plato's closet) where they get higher quality items. I may pay a bit more than I would at a Goodwill, but in my experience I've been able to find a lot more in my style and in great condition for less than I would pay at a retail store.

I've become a huge fan of JC Penney and other stores that have great sales. At the beginning of summer I was able to find tank tops for $4 which will last me through the season, and I plan on getting cardigans to wear over them in the fall. I don't buy anything that's only going to be worn once or twice. If I get a dress, it's going to be worn to work, and weddings, and funerals, and parties... not one for each. Everything I get has to be versatile. I have to be careful to not buy things just because they fit - I have to love them! Belts are your friends (both for holding baggy pants up and for cinching in oversized blouses and dresses).

Use your best judgment and enjoy the new clothing!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    I'm just not buying until I get to my goal weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Working in a women’s department I have everything in my face. I usually know when things go on sale, and if I know ahead of time that we have extra discount days coming up I usually wait for them. A few months ago I got some of our jeans for about $12 a pair.