Why does my stomach look like this?

Options
I posted awhile back about my stomach pooching out and was advised to lift and gain weight and that it was possibly a muscle mass issue. So I gained 7lb, lost a couple and now sit at 115lb at 5'3". But my stomach looks worse than it did before. Yet it seems no matter what weight I'm at it still pooches out. I've been as much as 9 lbs lighter before and still had the belly pooch. How can I get rid of this? (I've had 4 kids, but had this before I had kids too.)
cms4uac2i5k3.jpg

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    This is standing up straight? I know if I relax my stomach (and i'm near the same weight as you) it pooches out like that by mid-day. My posture also has a great affect on it. Part of it is bloating for me, and I also think that part of it is just how stomachs look when relaxed. Either way, you look wonderful. If you are feeling discomfort and are concerned about this imbalance in proportions I'd suggest talking to your doctor to rule out intolerances and allergies.

Sending love!
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it’s genetics if you had it even before babies.

I have a similar stomach although I’m not quite as slim as you are (5’ 4” 132lbs). I’ve been told it is the way it is because of how I flexed my abs for years while doing anything that required me to use my those muscles, sit ups, leg raises, lifting heavy things, getting up off the ground...any use of the abs. I’m trying hard to adjust to sucking in and pulling my belly button towards my spine rather than pushing out when using my abs but it’s a very difficult habit to break since I’ve been doing the way I did it to supposedly get the stomach for 40+ years.

Not sure if there is any merit at all to this. My trainer seems to think so and I might be starting to notice a difference...hard to say. Sorry, wish I could be more certain rather than pass on what might be woo. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this. That, or I’ll let you know if a few more years if my stomach looks better or the same LOL
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Moter98 wrote: »
    I do have a diastasis if 2cm at belly button and 1.5cm below. It used to be 3.5cm but I’ve been doing exercises to reduce it. I’m 2 years postpartum from last baby so I think this is as good as it gets as far as closing the gap anymore. I have pretty good “tightness” of whatever the tissue is called below the belly button. At belly button not so good but not terrible either. Surgery not an option as it’s not bad enough and would be considered cosmetic only.

Interesting, so you do indeed have some diastasis then.
    Does it get worse after eating a meal or does it just stay the same all the time? Could be bloating or an intestine bulging through the abdominal tissues. And I think OP knows this, but just to clarify for others, I’m not diagnosing you, just brainstorming what it might be since you asked. What does your doctor say? Your posture looks fine to me btw.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Pilates apparatus training? Pilates is great for posture and engaging the entire core. You really learn how to zip up and hold your abs in which might help with the pouch. See if you have a studio near by or if your local health club offers one-on-one training.
  • Moter98
    Moter98 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do have a diastasis if 2cm at belly button and 1.5cm below. It used to be 3.5cm but I’ve been doing exercises to reduce it. I’m 2 years postpartum from last baby so I think this is as good as it gets as far as closing the gap anymore. I have pretty good “tightness” of whatever the tissue is called below the belly button. At belly button not so good but not terrible either. Surgery not an option as it’s not bad enough and would be considered cosmetic only.

Interesting, so you do indeed have some diastasis then.
    Does it get worse after eating a meal or does it just stay the same all the time? Could be bloating or an intestine bulging through the abdominal tissues. And I think OP knows this, but just to clarify for others, I’m not diagnosing you, just brainstorming what it might be since you asked. What does your doctor say? Your posture looks fine to me btw.

It's for sure worse at night compared to the morning, but I don't have a flat belly in the morning either, much closer, but not flat. I have never had any doming or bulging, my core is fairly strong...I've run a few TVA/diastasis programs and continue to do so to keep it strong. The programs I've done considers diastasis healed when 2 or below, which I am, so I wasn't sure if it was that or something else. Looks like its the gap causing it then. Darn it anyhow. I haven't seen any Dr. but my OB for it and all she said was yes I have one, no there's nothing to do about it. Well thanks that was not helpful. Any knowledge I acquired about it was on my own.
  • Moter98
    Options
    My stomach looks similar and I have diastasis from having five children. Mine starts just above my navel and ends below so it's concentrated in that area. Bloating and poor posture makes it look worse. The muscles don't lay flat anymore, even with minimal fat they bulge permanently. I just try to work on having a strong core regardless. There isn't much you can do if that's what you have going on.

Thank you, this is helpful to know. I've been wondering for years what the heck this was.
  • Moter98
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Have you tried Pilates apparatus training? Pilates is great for posture and engaging the entire core. You really learn how to zip up and hold your abs in which might help with the pouch. See if you have a studio near by or if your local health club offers one-on-one training.

No I haven't tried Pilates. Thank you for this. Going to a gym or class will not happen as I have 4 kids and hubby works very long hours, but I do have a home gym. I'll look for something I can do at home.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP - first, I think you look awesome and 2) I’m a firm believer in Pilates too. There is an app called Pilates Anytime (free 30 day trial, $17/Mo after) that has tons of classes. I have a reformer at home, but there are a gazillion mat classes you can try out. You can select the difficulty and duration to work with your schedule.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »

No I haven't tried Pilates. Thank you for this. Going to a gym or class will not happen as I have 4 kids and hubby works very long hours, but I do have a home gym. I'll look for something I can do at home.

You tube has a ton of Pilates workouts you can do at home.
  • Moter98
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    OP - first, I think you look awesome and 2) I’m a firm believer in Pilates too. There is an app called Pilates Anytime (free 30 day trial, $17/Mo after) that has tons of classes. I have a reformer at home, but there are a gazillion mat classes you can try out. You can select the difficulty and duration to work with your schedule.

Thank you! I'm going to try that.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    OP, all these suggestions are great. Do you have any issues with your periods? Certain gyno issues can add size in this area, for example, fibroids, endo, etc.
  • Moter98
    Options
    Candyspun wrote: »
    OP, all these suggestions are great. Do you have any issues with your periods? Certain gyno issues can add size in this area, for example, fibroids, endo, etc.

No I do not. I've actually recently had an ultrasound and all looked normal/well.
  • Moter98
    Options
    Can anyone direct me where to start with pilates? How often and how long should I be doing the exercises and are there any that I should avoid with having the diastasis?