Maintenance Failure - Gained all the weight back (w/pics)

mom23mangos
mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
edited October 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I gradually regained all the weight I lost almost 3yrs ago.

0ir4ogc9ad5v.jpeg

Moral of the story - don’t let the scale be your only measurement of success or maintenance.

Replies

• Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    That is an unbelievable transformation. Truly inspiring - well done!!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,538 Member
    You got mangos!!!! :sunglasses:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Woohoo! You look absolutely fantastic! Congratulations :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    You go girl :smiley: You look fab :smile:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    wow, nice.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Amazing
  • George8383
    George8383 Posts: 69 Member
    Wow absolutely fantastic wish I had that will power and commitment what's advice would you give thanks
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Yeah, girl!!! Killing it!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    you look good in both photos..but I get your point. .glad you don't have to count calories and the workouts work for you!!! :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,538 Member
    I still love your recombulk maintenance failure! It's just awesome!
  • Zimm7
    Zimm7 Posts: 44 Member
    Looks like you've added lean muscle.
    Good job.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited October 2018
    If I looked like your before picture, I'd consider my loss a great success!

You look absolutely fantastic, and should be thrilled with all of your hard work!

Thanks. I started at a normal BMI, so it was truly vanity weight. I had stopped aerial classes and Krav Maga due to financial constraints, both of which acted as resistance training and was solely cycling for exercise. Add in being totally clueless about calorie counts in what I considered "healthy snacks" (cheese, nuts, fruit) and a desk job and I became what some call "skinny fat".
    George8383 wrote: »
    Wow absolutely fantastic wish I had that will power and commitment what's advice would you give thanks

It's hard to give advice because everyone has to find what works for them and what worked well for me may not work well for others. Not logging helped me keep a healthy relationship with food. Other people don't have that issue. Not weighing myself and going by progress photos helped me gain muscle because if I had stuck to a 5lb maintenance range, either my physique wouldn't have changed as much or I would have gotten too underfat to be healthy. However, doing true bulk/cut cycles probably would have allowed me to put on even more muscle.

But the point of the post is that even if you have a maintenance window, don't assume if you reach the top of it that it means you need to tighten up and lose weight. If you are using other methods of measurement, you may realize that you just need to slide your window up. Scale weight IMO is the least of measurements you should be using to make decisions about your progress.Pictures, tape measure, body fat analysis...those are all much more meaningful. Because while it's important for many here to lose weight for health reasons, most just really want to make body composition changes. And the scale won't help you there.

Biggest advice I can give is consistency. It's not about willpower, but you are right it is about commitment. Willpower and motivation only get you so far. You have to have the discipline and commitment to do it even when you don't feel like it. Do things like meal planning and exercising at a certain time until it becomes a habit. When you have a day or week that you miss working out because of life or you eat all the cake, don't let it get to you and just go back to the habits you've made. Consistency over the long term will get results.

Awesome results!
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Just what I needed to see! Staying off the scale and continuing to trust the process. Thank you
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Bravo Zulu!