Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Bird & Lime Scooters

Options
Charlene____
Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
edited October 2018 in Debate Club
This isn’t really a debate but more of a hot topic for those who reside in cities with these scooters. In my city, they appeared mid-May and are wreaking havoc on sidewalks and on the running and walking trails in my park. They are left in places that cause tripping hazards, riders will nearly hit you on the sidewalk, and the park where I run, well it’s dodging death out there, especially on the weekends. I don’t know who to complain to. I have emailed the park administrator where I live since motorized vehicles of any sort with the exception of wheelchairs are prohibited but nothing is being done about it. Today was my last straw as I was bumped into by an out-of-control rider. I understand that technology exists where a geofence can be installed to prohibit the use of them in certain areas. Is anyone else having these issues in their cities? If so, who are you complaining to? During my 3.5 mile run today, I counted 247 scooters that either I passed or who passed me all entirely in the park that prohibits motorized vehicles.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It is out of control. Start complaining to your mayor.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Someone will be seriously hurt, lawsuit, they will be a done deal.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest and tell you I had no clue what in the world you were talking about lol. But a quick Google search tells me you aren't the only one that is not happy with them.

Dont know what to tell you but I am assuming whoever owns them has to have some sort of business license in order to operate there. Maybe someone at your local city hall would know?
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It’s lime bikes around the university here, they are always parked in the oddest places and I hardly ever see anyone riding them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm in Minneapolis. We got them here this summer. I haven't seen a lot on the park trails yet, fortunately. But I see them a lot downtown and the downtown-adjacent area where I live. People ride them on the sidewalks and I've seen some close calls with people almost hitting pedestrians. I can't imagine ever using one, they don't strike me as terribly safe.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    This isn’t really a debate but more of a hot topic for those who reside in cities with these scooters. In my city, they appeared mid-May and are wreaking havoc on sidewalks and on the running and walking trails in my park. They are left in places that cause tripping hazards, riders will nearly hit you on the sidewalk, and the park where I run, well it’s dodging death out there, especially on the weekends. I don’t know who to complain to. I have emailed the park administrator where I live since motorized vehicles of any sort with the exception of wheelchairs are prohibited but nothing is being done about it. Today was my last straw as I was bumped into by an out-of-control rider. I understand that technology exists where a geofence can be installed to prohibit the use of them in certain areas. Is anyone else having these issues in their cities? If so, who are you complaining to? During my 3.5 mile run today, I counted 247 scooters that either I passed or who passed me all entirely in the park that prohibits motorized vehicles.

Maybe bring up your concerns with your mayor/city council? Start a petition? Letter to the editor of your local newspaper?
    https://lifehacker.com/5981392/how-can-i-get-my-local-government-to-pay-attention-to-me
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Not here yet. But there was just an article in the newspaper they are taking bids for them to be here by January 1, 2019. And the article states they can only be used on sidewalks and in city parks. Goes on to say how one uses a credit card with them and so on. And how when the rider is done, it is totally acceptable to just leave them where ever you are. I was like, no they cannot mean that. Then the article I guess to make people feel good, um not me, goes on to state they go between 5-8MPH which is much slower than your average Segway which can go 12MPH. We already have the lime bikes, and for most part they have not been too much of an issue. I know in some cities in the U,S. they have had a good many issues with drunk drivers on the scooters.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'm in Minneapolis. We got them here this summer. I haven't seen a lot on the park trails yet, fortunately. But I see them a lot downtown and the downtown-adjacent area where I live. People ride them on the sidewalks and I've seen some close calls with people almost hitting pedestrians. I can't imagine ever using one, they don't strike me as terribly safe.

Me too. I run at lunch and nearly every day on the Stone Arch bridge or around there am almost run down by scooters. How fast do they go? I know in the evenings in rush hour I've seen them weaving through stopped traffic. I heard our building was thinking of banning them near the building as so many are "parked" (that is, tipped over on the plaza) outside our main doors.

ETA - I saw a guy today trying to ride one on the cobblestone street over by the A mill building. I almost fell over laughing.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I hate them - there are three companies with them here and they popped up over the span of two days this summer. I too have almost gotten hit by them from behind multiple times. They are prohibited on sidewalks as well as in public parks and multi-use paths. The is also a preexisting helmet law for anyone on a motorized scooter but given how few people I see wearing helmets, I doubt that's enforced. However, I suspect there will be some policing done in some of the parks that are more central to the downtown area (the first sign that I saw up about them being prohibited was put up three or four weeks ago).

Like someone else said, I suspect that what will end up happening is that someone will get seriously injured/die and then they'll vanish from the city. I've heard they break poorly when it's wet and we've very much reached that season here (clearly they just need disk brakes ;) )
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You clearly aren't the only one to feel this way. I just saw them for the first time a couple weeks ago while visiting another state. I'm sure they're coming my way though....

https://www.curbed.com/2018/10/22/18009492/bird-lime-scooter-lawsuit-los-angeles
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I just saw someone in my local sub-reddit post about finding one in my area. I had no idea what it was lol. I didn't know they were such a nuisance? They seem like a nice idea but should be kept to more urban areas I think... ETA I just read through these responses so far, I didn't know motorized scooters were such a problem lol! My son has one but just rides around the neighborhood on it.
  • aokoye
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I just saw someone in my local sub-reddit post about finding one in my area. I had no idea what it was lol. I didn't know they were such a nuisance? They seem like a nice idea but should be kept to more urban areas I think... ETA I just read through these responses so far, I didn't know motorized scooters were such a problem lol! My son has one but just rides around the neighborhood on it.

The problem with them in urban areas is that people like to ride them on sidewalks and it don't know that your average person would be able to ride one at walking speed. If there was enforcement in terms of them not being allowed on sidewalks then ok, but that's not what's going on in a lot of places from what I can tell.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I just saw them for the first time on a trip to Atlanta. I ended up installing the app and renting one. They are a lot of fun! I can also see where they can be a problem. Not sure what the middle ground will be between the scooters and pedestrians.
  • aokoye
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I just saw them for the first time on a trip to Atlanta. I ended up installing the app and renting one. They are a lot of fun! I can also see where they can be a problem. Not sure what the middle ground will be between the scooters and pedestrians.

In my view (and my state's laws), they don't belong on sidewalks in the same way that bikes don't belong on sidewalks (unless you're an average small child). It seems fairly straight forward. It's getting people to realize that that's the issue. If you're worried about cars and drivers running into people on electric scooters, then that's an issue of infrastructure and enforcing traffic laws (which is an issue cyclists deal with on a much more frequent basis).
  • jamesjeffsmith
    jamesjeffsmith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Start by looking up Municipal codes for your city and county. then email your city council. take pictures of scooters blocking bus benches, etc. they did not get back to me about the 3 code violations or the lack of certain business licenses in the county but the scooters are parked elsewhere and now banned on campus.
  • aokoye
    Options
    Rumor has it, now that we're well within the fall and it's rainy more days than not, they scooters have been pulled. I see a few strewn about here and there, but there aren't nearly as many now. Hopefully the city will do some serious reassessment before thinking about allowing companies to bring them back.
  • BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Here in NC some cities have banned them. I'm not sure who you would complain to- Chamber of Commerce or DOT maybe?
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bird scooters showed up in my town earlier this year - BOOM! Lyme scooters showed up a couple of months later. They both do not have a business license, and still don't. I run a business and MUST have one or I get shuttered. What the heck?!

Thankfully winter came early and they are rarely used and the numbers have been reduced. I am afraid of what spring will bring. We have one university and two large colleges so I guess, sadly, they are here to stay.

I am in the "hate them" category. My town is loaded with hiking/biking trails and also KATY Trail State Park and these are showing up on the NO MOTORIZED VEHICLE trails.