My New Normal

Options
Somewhere along the line it stopped being a question of whether or not I will get to a healthier weight and became a certainty. The only thing that I am occasionally worried about anymore is that I am not worried. Things that might have thrown me in the past don't phase me now. For instance, I honestly do not care if I eat a stupidly high number of calories in a day unless it makes me feel bad physically. If I need a day like that occasionally I will just do it because I don't believe that when I get to the end I am going to care that I could have gotten there a little faster.

I was scared at the beginning. Like many people I have failed SO many times. I kept it a secret like I am sure some of you have done or are doing because if I failed I didn't want anyone to know I was trying.

I like what I am doing and I can't imagine what it would take for me to stop which I sometimes find a little concerning with so much fail in my past. I think it is probably a good thing. Feeling 100 percent confident all the time might keep me from learning something new I need to know as I continue to move forward.

I am a very private person and I do not like sharing my personal info online but I am considering it when I hit my 1 year anniversary. I am kind of shocked at how much weight I have lost already. Hint: It is over 100 lbs.

tl;dr I kept going and at some point in the last 11 months this became my new normal.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yay, you!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    That is an excellent way of describing this.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    That's a great positive attitude and way to look at things! Congratulations on all you've accomplished! :smile:
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Great post and thanks for sharing it. Also congrats on such great weight loss.

Although I am excellent at losing weight (many times), I have very much struggled with maintenance. I don't freak out if I go over for a day or even a week. I'm not worried if I have a piece of cake or a cheeseburger. But being in a deficit, once again, I am worried about maintenance. As a matter of fact, I am planning many maintenance periods during this deficit phase. I actually have one coming up soon. I am a bit worried for sure. But I will continue to weigh my food and log my food. I will weigh myself in the morning and I will continue to read the MFP boards. I will stay on track.

Hopefully one day I can trust myself in this endeavor the same way that you trust yourself. 🙂
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    So happy for you! I understand exactly what you’re saying ;)
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, this is awesome! So relatable. And it confirms what I’ve been thinking as I’ve been embarking on this journey. It’s not about the destination. It’s about each step we take toward better health. It won’t be perfect because we’re not perfect. And that’s ok! Well done and well said!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You’re a rock star. ⭐️
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,405 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Not to rain on your parade, but...

From early 2014 to mid-May 2015, I knew I had it. I was rocking and rolling, dropping from 375 to 207. I was more active, there was no real restriction or sacrifice. I liked what I was eating, what I was doing, how I looked and felt.

Then, for no perceivable reason, I stopped tracking accurately, I ate more than I needed, etc. And I was aware of it. There was a lot of self-talk. It didn't matter than I 100% knew I had it.

Despite several fits and starts, I was seemingly incapable of halting the backslide. By the time I actually managed to recommit, in September 2018, I had gotten back up to 331.6 lbs.

Now, it's going well, I am back down to 275, despite an intentional 3 week maintenance period that encompassed about 1 week prior to and 2 weeks after Christmas.

But I don't think I will ever tell myself "I have this", at least in regards to my weight, ever again.

No rain. Your story confirms why I should not be 100 percent confident and to keep questioning, learning, and growing.

I have not had it quite as easy as you describe your 2014-2015 period. While I do not struggle with my WoE (most of the time) I have other weight loss related complications that have, at times, been quite miserable. I try to consider these challenges as reinforcement to my desire to never do this again. I also still feel quite trapped in this overweight body. Not as trapped as when I started but I am only marginally more active and I still get the "thank God I am not that heavy" looks and small child points/stares when I am out in public. I have really good hearing which is not always a blessing too. I shake most of it off but I am human.

I took a 10 day diet break over Thanksgiving. I was miserable. I thought it would be nice to eat more "normally" again but it was not. That is when it dawned on me that it was abnormal for me to eat so much food.

I hope your journey forward never stops this time.

I hope it doesn't either. I am still quite heavy but can definitely feel the difference. I hope to be under 250 and still losing over the summer. And I was most definitely not trying to be discouraging, just sharing my personal cautionary tale. I think the fact that I was able to maintain over Christmas was encouraging. My extra calories wasn't going crazy, it was mostly alcohol and cookie based, and not ridiculous amounts, just frequent ones.

Best of luck to the both of us!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    No doubt your pragmatic approach will enable you to stay the course till you achieve your goal and then...
    Maintenance is a New Day!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Alright. You can get out of my head now!! =)

I couldn't relate to this post more.
    - the multiple failed attempts in the past
    - the hiding the fact that I was trying again (until it became obvious and undeniable)
    - the concern that I'm finding it 'too easy' (compared to the past)
    - the healthier 'balanced' relationship to eating where having the occasional pig out is fine and not a reason to spiral and give up

Definitely feel where you're coming from.

lol. I really pushed the envelope on denying it. At one point I was blaming the summer heat and I said it was affecting my appetite and that was why I lost a little weight. That wasn't a complete lie because my appetite is kind of wonky during the summer months. The problem is that during the summer I was already down 80ish pounds so everyone argued with me about the "little" part.

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    This is SO inspirational - thanks v much for sharing!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies <<HUGGGGSSSS>>

You rock. <3
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Great post! :flowerforyou: