Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Overweight and Obese Americans Make up 78% of COVID-19 Hospitalization, CDC Warns

Analog_Kid
Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
This is interesting...

"A study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warns that the majority of COVID-19 hospitalization, ventilators used, and deaths are dominated by overweight and obese Americans."

Source: https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/30051/20210308/overweight-obese-americans-make-up-78-covid-19-hospitalization-cdc.htm

As if we needed another reason to loose weight.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    edited May 2021
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I am an ER PA and dealt with COVID first hand. I did not see any “young and healthy” patients needing to be hospitalized. All of the ones who were younger who needed hospitalization were obese and either diabetic or hypertensive. Just my experience.

But yet, according to the CDC, which has access to data far beyond your experience, 22% of those hospitalized for COVID-19 were neither obese nor overweight.

Edited to fix typo.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,871 Member
    I am an ER PA and dealt with COVID first hand. I did not see any “young and healthy” patients needing to be hospitalized. All of the ones who were younger who needed hospitalization were obese and either diabetic or hypertensive. Just my experience.

But yet, according to the CDC, which has access to data far beyond your experience, 22% of those hospitalized for COVID-19 were neither obese nor overweight.

Edited to fix typo.

Yeah but they probably had other comorbid conditions or were older.

Exactly. It's not about being overweight, it's how compromised or weak the immune system is and exposed to infection and being obese can have negative effect on our immune system.
  • Hodgy2357
    Hodgy2357 Posts: 60 Member
    It's interesting and factual but not sure how useful.

I worked on a covid ward. None of the deaths were obese and few overweight. Many were underweight.
  • Hodgy2357
    Hodgy2357 Posts: 60 Member
    I mean, it's just too much of an oversimplification of very complex issue.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited May 2021
    Hodgy2357 wrote: »
    It's interesting and factual but not sure how useful.

I worked on a covid ward. None of the deaths were obese and few overweight. Many were underweight.

Interesting, your sample of one is directly opposite to data reported by the CDC. Did you maybe work an an area with mostly older people who typically don't get to old age if obese?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Promoting these stats as sensational is just fake news.

As others have pointed out, >70% of Americans are overweight/obese, so their hospitalization is only marginally higher than their representation in the population.