Join the #MFPSugarSwap challenge for Heart Month this February!

Options
Betty
Betty Posts: 8,817 MFP Staff
edited April 2023 in Food and Nutrition
sop97oae7s59.png

Globally, people want to cut the cubes, slash the syrups, and forgo the granules, as sugar tops the list of must-ditch foods this year. According to our new research, more than half of people are actively trying to reduce their sugar consumption.

Despite our best intentions, the average person is consuming more than double the amount of their recommended daily sugar intake. Hidden added sugars could be the cause! Some of the foods we eat every day — flavored yogurt, oatmeal, sports drinks, and granola bars — have more sugar than you might expect.

While the human body needs a small amount of sugar, consuming excessive amounts of it can lead to weight gain which has negative health implications for blood pressure and heart disease. Luckily there are some simple steps you can take to reduce the amount of sugar you consume. So, this month, take the #MFPSugarSwap pledge by picking one swap and sticking with it. Check your sugar intake by logging your foods in MyFitnessPal, and then check back again at the end of the month to see the difference — you may be surprised!

In the meantime, here are our ideas for smart sugar swaps! And don’t forget to join the conversation on our socials when you take the #MFPSugarSwap pledge.

But we want to hear from YOU!
Are you pledging to take the #MFPSugarSwap challenge?
What swaps have you tried or are looking forward to trying?
What are your goals with sugar, and have you tried monitoring your intake in the app before?

Replies

• MaryElgeti7551
    MaryElgeti7551 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make my own spaghetti sauce with tomatoes from my garden...no sugar added....
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not a sweet tooth here, but it will be interesting to see what the sugar content is of my daily diet. I try not to use many pre-packaged foods so that probably helps but we will see :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    @Betty why is the conversation on Instagram rather than here in the MFP forums?
  • Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,817 MFP Staff
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @Betty why is the conversation on Instagram rather than here in the MFP forums?

Hi @kshama2001! Ideally it's in both places! :smile: Some people prefer the forums while others prefer social media.

Would love to hear what sugar swaps you have tried.

I'm like @MaryElgeti7551 and grow my own tomatoes each year to make tomato sauce and ketchup with no added sugar.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm all for growing vegetables and making foods from scratch, but three varieties of Newman's and one of Classico pasta sauce do not contain any added sugar so this is really a brand-specific issue.

I used to reduce the sugar called for in Thai recipes, but since learned that is an essential part of balancing the flavors.

My sugar swaps are less baked goods and more fruit. For example, I will have a smaller portion of brownies but add a few ounces of raspberries. When not in season, I buy frozen raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries, and always have them on hand.
  • yayoj81
    yayoj81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m making my own snacks versus buying them. I love chocolate and peanut butter. Today, I made peanut butter balls with peanut butter, honey, chia seeds, oats and sunflower seeds to reduce the amount of sugar I am eating.