Giving up *kitten* and losing weight.

Options
Hi I thought I would introduce myself. I'm 48 and have already lost about a stone and a half (23lbs exactly) this year and it seemed fairly easy. I have hit a plateau at 14 stone though and have been hovering around it for the last couple of months. My original plan was to get down to around 13 stone and then give up *kitten*. I was hoping to then maintain that weight through discipline and increased exercise which might have been overly ambitious. I have given up on the 13 stone goal for now and gave up the *kitten* at 14 stone a few days ago. My target weight is still 13 stone and I have will have to see if it is possible. It will involve a lot of hard exercise if I do achieve it as I know that dieting alone will not work. Only time will tell.

I'm in East Sussex and live near the South Downs. I have just got back into mountain biking in the last few weeks which is a great help but the nights are drawing in now and the trails will be getting wetter from now on. It's bad timing I guess. I may have to rely on evening swims through the winter though I do have some very powerful lights for my mountain bike. I can also use my road bike through the winter.

Anyway that's me for now. I'm so glad to have found myfitnesspal for my android phone and this forum. I hope the combination of the two could be the elusive missing link in my cunning master plan to get properly fit. I have also recently discovered Strava. Any cyclists who already use it will know what a great motivational tool it is. It certainly makes me work hard on the hills and is rather humbling when I see where I come in the segments. The only was is up!

Replies

• chamgiggz
    Options
    Do you really mean *kitten* or FADS as in FAD diets?
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

*kitten* = cigarettes
  • karenbethrn
    karenbethrn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I'm ignorant.. whats a stone and whats a *kitten*?

Where are you from?

Great of you to join! I've been here 11 days and love every part of this site! Welcome!
  • Tracepa98
    Options
    i believe they meant cigarettes. That is what they call them over there.
  • PinkyFran
    Options
    Hi im not a cyclist due to mobility issues but i am a swimmer very regular one too( prince regent reg haha!!), feel free to add me if you like ....good luck! keep going...i am also giving up smoking with the aid of an e *kitten* and its working well.....take each day as a new one, never beat yourself up if you falter and know that you will achieve all your goals and more!!!!!!
  • karenbethrn
    karenbethrn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options

*kitten* = cigarettes

I was getting worried there. *kitten* here in America mean a totally different thing. Haha :smokin:
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It didn't quote like it was supposed to >.<
    REply to:

Where are you from?

Great of you to join! I've been here 11 days and love every part of this site! Welcome!
    ----

*kitten* = cigarette
    stone = unit of measurement 1 stone = 14 pounds
    ---
    Also yay for giving up the smoking! Sometimes people see a little weight gain afterwards because they replace smoking with eating so be careful! Also welcome to the site!!
  • PinkyFran
    Options

Where are you from?

a stone is 14lbs uk weighing, a *kitten* is a cigarette :)
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It sounds like you are making a lot of positive, healthy changes in your life!! WTG!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Where are you from?

Hee hee, the OP is from the uk, a stone is 14 pounds and *kitten* are cigarettes! Yes, we speak a whole different language!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Ha ha read that and thought.. Gee I really like those guys.

Good job on the quitting smoking thing. I did it July 15 and have not felt this good in years. Add me if you like.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The only time I lost weight and quit smoking at the same time was when I had just "fallen in love."
  • cycleranger
    cycleranger Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try finding a spin class
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Great job quitting smoking! I'm trying to quit now and boy is it tough. Welcome to MFP! :)
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes, it also means that too.
    I call my big brother a *kitten* all the time because of his homosexual tendencies :)
    I'm allowed to though :tongue: aha!
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It didn't quote like it was supposed to >.<
    REply to:

Where are you from?

----

*kitten* = cigarette
    stone = unit of measurement 1 stone = 14 pounds
    ---
    Also yay for giving up the smoking! Sometimes people see a little weight gain afterwards because they replace smoking with eating so be careful! Also welcome to the site!!

That and the fact that nicotine raises your metabolism temporarily every time you have one, when you stop the nicotine stops and metabolism has no other external chemical stimulant to speed it up.

Best bet is to go for e-cigs, they still contain the nicotine therefore it is less likely that you will put on as much weight in comparison to just going cold turkey :)

Now I am away outside to attend to my guilty (or not so guilty) pleasure! :tongue:
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision to make a healthy lifestyle change! Best of luck to you! :happy:
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    On the other side of the pond, *kitten* = cigs

I quit, cold turkey. It's not hard, but you have to want to do it. I was ready to quit smoking, and haven't touched one since then...over 9 years ago.

Do it!