I built a tool to *kitten* your health.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Thanks Banks... I scored better than expected, although I am still adjusting the the new me that is emerging :laugh:

Question for you though, in your discaimer you say that "This number assumes you have no pre-existing medical conditions such as metabolic syndrome, thyroid conditions, or diabetes; it also assumes no cardiovascular or musculoskeletal problems such as high cholesterol, arterial plaque, or osteoporosis as examples. "

How would Hypythyroid effect this number?

well, while the number would most likely be the same, the descriptions that I give for them may not be quite correct, as someone could theoretically have a high TBHN but with something like hyper(or hypo) thyroidism, you would still need to adjust your calories and monitor your metabolism differently than you would with a normal thyroid output. Anyone with thyroidism (either hyper or hypo) should still follow the nutrition plan set out by a registered dietitian who has experience with thyroid problems.
  • SHBoss1673
    one thing to keep in mind with this TBHN is that, while you MAY be in a range of good, the number still tells you how far into that range you are, I.E. if you scored a 9, while that's good, it's not great, you just barely scrapped into the "good" range, while someone who scores a 12 is doing REALLY good, bordering on great. Just wanted people to know that/
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Hmm, I scored a 13. I feel like I'm not really "superior", but I'll take it! Thanks Banks! :flowerforyou:
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Bump.

Works fine in firefox. I was surprised the number is as good as it was considering I have leukemia...LOL! If that is the main thing "broken" about me, I guess I'm okay.
  • happinessblossoms
    happinessblossoms Posts: 375 Member
    Bump
  • bump -
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Wow, interesting. I'm going in a couple of weeks to have a total health assessment done on one of these things http://www.tanita.com/en/sc-331s/184-catId.520093719.html. There's a new community health clinic opening up in my area, you can go have this analysis done plus they take blood to check cholesterol, blood sugar, etc. I'll be interested to see how my results compare! I'm a 6 for now, so I'm pretty happy, I thought for sure I'd be about a 3.
  • SHBoss1673
    it's pretty hard to be a 3, you really have to actively be neglecting your body. Literally be very obese, eating the worst foods, never exercising.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Hmm..a 7. I beg to differ.
  • FrenchMob
    I tweaked the numbers to my goal stats:
    38 yo
    5'-10"
    170 lbs
    10% BF
    52 RHR (already there)

and it gave me an 11. Again, I beg to differ. I would like to see this "lots of research" you based this formula on as something needs tweaking. With these numbers & my age, it should be closer to a 13 IMO.
  • SHBoss1673
    I tweaked the numbers to my goal stats:
    38 yo
    5'-10"
    170 lbs
    10% BF
    52 RHR (already there)

and it gave me an 11. Again, I beg to differ. I would like to see this "lots of research" you based this formula on as something needs tweaking. With these numbers & my age, it should be closer to a 13 IMO.

you're missing your waist to hip, and vo2 max, which means those would be put in as average numbers (if you were to add higher than average scores there, then it would be a better score). Which is clearly stated both in this post and on the site (in the bodycomp_desc page at the bottom)

if 2 of your 9 statistics are only an average score, your starting maximum drops by about 3 points. Plus, I DID say weighted, and VO2 Max is a very important measure, it's a direct test of your cardio respiratory health.

If you were to add your VO2 max as say 50, the number would go up to a 12, and if you put your W2H ratio at about 31" waist and 37 or 38" hips (about a .82 W2HR) that would go up to 13, a body fat % around 8 would bring it up another point.

Just so you know, a Score of 15 is almost impossible to get. Well, not almost impossible, but it's basically Olympic decathalete type fitness levels, being an 11 is pretty damn good for a person over 35!
  • FrenchMob
    I used a 1:1 w2h ratio (forgot to mention that). Where do you consider a hip measurement vs a waist measurement?

I understand the importance of VO2max but only a handful of people actually get tested for this. I plan to in the near future because I'm training for triathlons, but right now, I'm not sure. My LT is around 162 BPM, which is more important to know for me at this point to determine my training zones.

Thanks for the info & tool. I'll keep that in mind.
  • SHBoss1673
    I used a 1:1 w2h ratio (forgot to mention that). Where do you consider a hip measurement vs a waist measurement?

I understand the importance of VO2max but only a handful of people actually get tested for this. I plan to in the near future because I'm training for triathlons, but right now, I'm not sure. My LT is around 162 BPM, which is more important to know for me at this point to determine my training zones.

Thanks for the info & tool. I'll keep that in mind.

1:1 is on the bad side of average (I.E. it shouldn't be what a guy should shoot for), for males, your W2H should be (by most medical experts) should be below 1, preferably below .82 (I.E. a 32 inch waist and a 38 inch hips) for males, and below .9 and preferably below .8 for women.

There are plenty of sub maximal VO2 estimate tests you can do without going to a lab. here is a decent one that you can do.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/eval.htm

VO2 doesn't have to be perfect, if you come up with a % that's 5% off or so, that's still a good measure for you.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    :smile: This is so cool! I've added it to my favorites! (I actually have a folder named SHBoss links!:laugh: )

Thanks!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    very cool - works in SAFARI too!
  • SHBoss1673
    very cool - works in SAFARI too!

Amazing what being a mediocre coder and not wanting to try any fancy exotic web programing will do for your cross browser compatibility! :tongue:

FYI, any graphic designers out there want to take a stab at making the TBHN website look a little more snazzy, feel free to email me. I can't pay you for it, but I can give you credit, and if I ever do start earning money from it, I'd be happy to give you a piece.
  • SHBoss1673
    bumping for those that missed it.
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Neat! I'm sitting pretty at a 12.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I plugged in my before and after stats and went from a 6 to an 11!

WOOT!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Thank you Banks! This was cool. I scored a 7 and I was happy with that. Not because I am satisfied with a7 but that I needed an extra push to try even harder. I am in the last 12-18 pounds to hit my goal. My resting heart rate has always been a bit high, even when I was younger, 102#, super clean eater and daily excerciser. (72-76).

Jeannie I will have to try it with my orignal stats...that would be fun to see!
This discussion has been closed.