More cardio?

Options
So I currently doing 30 Day Shred. I start level 2 tonight and it is my 11th day. My question is this... I only had lost about 5 lbs when I started this. I still have about 24 lbs to go until I reach my goal weight. I have lost 1 pound while doing 30 Day Shred. Was I stupid to do something like 30 Day Shred so early in my journey? Or should I concentrate on eating healthy and doing tons of cardio to lose more weight and then do something like 30DS? Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Do a proper beginner weight lifting routine and eat less calories than you burn. If you want to ensure general cardio vascular health (cause the weight lifting will probably do it) walk at 3mph for 15-20 minutes 2 times per week.
  • fieryred0424
    fieryred0424 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am already doing good on the calories thing! I try to ride my stationary bike for 10-20 minutes a day as well. I unfortunately do not own a treadmill and have a full time job of mommy after I get home from my full time job at the television station! Do you think that is just as good as walking since I keep my speed (on the bike monitors) above 20 mph the whole time?
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So I currently doing 30 Day Shred. I start level 2 tonight and it is my 11th day. My question is this... I only had lost about 5 lbs when I started this. I still have about 24 lbs to go until I reach my goal weight. I have lost 1 pound while doing 30 Day Shred. Was I stupid to do something like 30 Day Shred so early in my journey? Or should I concentrate on eating healthy and doing tons of cardio to lose more weight and then do something like 30DS? Thoughts anyone?
    Not at all- you're not stupid. I started 30DS after I lost 10lbs. I lost 10 more while doing 30DS. And then I plateaued because I was doing pretty much nothing but circuit training.
    I cut back on the JM DVDs (twice a week) and more cardio (3-4 times per week).
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I am already doing good on the calories thing! I try to ride my stationary bike for 10-20 minutes a day as well. I unfortunately do not own a treadmill and have a full time job of mommy after I get home from my full time job at the television station! Do you think that is just as good as walking since I keep my speed (on the bike monitors) above 20 mph the whole time?

sure thing. the main points are a)general cardiovascular health can be maintained with a very small amount of cardio, anything above that is increasing endurance. b) losing fat can be done with nutrition alone, cardio is just a tool to create a decific in lieu of eating less. c) weight training is the only form of exercise that is critical to body recomposition and having an attractive body. the benefits (obviously more strength and muscle size or at least retention but also increased bone density) are great