Belly Fat

Options
What foods are good for losing belly fat?

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    None.

There is no such thing as spot reduction. Your body will lose fat wherever it feels like it, and then only through a balance of good diet and exercise. Count your calories, follow your macros, don't eat too much crap, and exercise regularly. The fat will start coming off everywhere, and eventually that will include stubborn belly fat as well.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What foods are good for losing belly fat?
    The foods in the right quantities which keep you in a caloric deficit. You can't choose where the fat comes off, but with a caloric deficit and exercise program, the belly fat will eventually start coming off.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    No food are good for losing just belly fat. Your body stores fat all over your body and you burn this fat you will need to eat less fat and exercise to burn the calories.

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/burningfat.htm

I hate it cause I have about 10lbs around lover belly to lose but seems I have to keep burning the fat to get to it.
  • SkinnySoms
    Options
    You should try reading The South Beach Diet. It is all about eating healthier foods to improve blood chemistry and preventing diabetes and heart disease, and talks a LOT about belly fat and how it is so detrimental to our health. You CAN eat certain foods to decrease belly fat. You will lose weight everywhere, but foods rich in protein and fiber will help decrease that dangerous belly fat. And stay away from processed carbs. But, the book is excellent and explains it all better than I ever could!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You should try reading The South Beach Diet. It is all about eating healthier foods to improve blood chemistry and preventing diabetes and heart disease, and talks a LOT about belly fat and how it is so detrimental to our health. You CAN eat certain foods to decrease belly fat. You will lose weight everywhere, but foods rich in protein and fiber will help decrease that dangerous belly fat. And stay away from processed carbs. But, the book is excellent and explains it all better than I ever could!

Lol
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "foods for losing belly fat". It's all about your overall nutrition and exercise program. Look at the big picture. And try not to get tempted to believe the hype when people pitch their "fat busting secrets".
  • McLifterPants
    Options

Lol

I second your "lol" and raise you a "head desk"
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    In South Beach he talks a lot about that specific 'body type' with a lot of belly fat but not much fat elsewhere, and how his theory is that it's more dangerous to your health than being generally overweight. The thing is, as people above said, if you lose weight, you will eventually lose belly fat. There's no way to prove that targeting that area for weight loss will improve your health, because there is no way to target that area for weight loss.

I'd be willing to bet that a high percentage of people (self included) that have a lot of fat stored on their belly are also relatively sedentary, which is an obvious and known risk factor for all sorts of things. That said, South Beach has some excellent information on diet and how your body processes things (he's a big proponent of cutting down on processed foods and explaining the downsides to them) and how to blance your diet better (ie don't cut out any one element completely, etc.). Interesting stuff.
  • zen_soul
    zen_soul Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I read that spinich is very good for fat burning and also flaxseeds but I cannot seem to find those anywhere!
  • haydenlove4
    Options
    I read that spinich is very good for fat burning and also flaxseeds but I cannot seem to find those anywhere!

you can get flaxseed oil vitamins they work just as good. plus thay have omega 3 in them
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Lol

I second your "lol" and raise you a "head desk"

1. The South Beach diet is not a "fat busting" diet. Ignorant idiots. Keep doing what you're doing.
    2. Isn't the point of these forums to offer advice and support? Why are you JERKS on here trying to put people down? Everyone has to do something that works for them. Why don't you actually LEARN about something before critizing it. I bet you've never learned anything about it, and oh my, you, all of the sudden, are a nutrition expert. If you were so smart, you wouldn't need to be on here trying to lose weight! So screw off.

Since you obviously have done the research, please what foods specifically target abdominal fat?

You're also making assumptions everyone is here to lose weight, you'd be incorrect with that assumption as well
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    beer?
  • McLifterPants
    Options
    "Every nutritional scientist worldwide knows that where one loses and gains weight on their body is genetically determined and not dependent on the method of weight loss" - from an analysis of the false claims in the SBD. Full article below

http://www.drfuhrman.com/company/pr_2004_09_21.aspx
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You need to burn fat in general, and you will lose the belly fat.

To reduce bloating and the appearance of a large belly, limit sodium and drink lots of water. Do ab exercises so when you do burn that fat, you have nice muscles waiting to appear out from under the fluff.
  • NancyHukka
    NancyHukka Posts: 35
    Options
    I believe one of the first rules I read when I joined MFP was that there was to be no name calling. I think that was forgotten here.

Darn, I wish there were a magic way to get the belly fat off because that's my problem area. Guess hard work and persistence is still the answer.