Husband wants me to have dinner party!!!

Options
Hi, My husband want me to throw a dinner party. I don't feel ready to do a big meal. Sounds wierd but, It makes me anxious. Everyone expects a big meal, drinks and dessert. I told him I was not ready but, he just does not understand. What to do? I can not make diet food for company and it creates to much temptation. Any thoughts???

Replies

• raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Make "diet food" for everyone!

Start with a salad loaded with veggies and an olive oil dressing.

You could do a veggie lasagna
    or
    Grilled chicken with brown rice pilaf and grilled veggies
    or
    Thin cut flank steak with gorgonzola and chive sauce with orzo

and for dessert do a peach melba or mousse!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Grilled is great! How about a Mexican theme - make fajitas and you can skip the higher calorie items and gorge yourself on meat and veggies? A beautiful berry salad is a great dessert option (light whipped cream) along with a higer-calorie one (preferably something YOU don't like). Appetizers can include guacamole (fine in smaller portions) with both chips and veggies for dipping... OLE!
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You could just cook healthy stuff instead of "heavy" stuff.

Salad course, lots of veggie sides, a reasonable meat or two, a starch, fruit and a light dessert like a sorbet or something.

Give yourself permission to leave the table to refill the water pitcher/put a new wine bottle out, get someone more ice, or grab the second platter of sides for someone, etc. Playing host can keep you active enough that you don't have time to be tempted into seconds or thirds if you want it to be.
  • fromfattytohealthy
    fromfattytohealthy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Tell your husband if he wants a dinner party so bad, he can cook it himself. It makes you anxious, uncomfortable, and you don't want to do it, but he's insisting? Fine. Make him cook everything.
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    I totally agree with Raeleek - you can EASILY do a healthy dinner party!!

Restaurant food is usually calorific because they don't worry about putting cream and oil in to their heart's content, but if you're making it you can make healthier substitutions without anyone knowing ;P

Like Raeleek said, do some lovely grilled meat, veggies - everyone loves roast or grilled veg!! mmm! - and a dessert.

If I was doing this, to avoid temptation I'd also make meals that you plate up and serve rather than everyone helping themselves - that way, you'll be less tempted to pile a larger portion onto your plate, and will be less likely to go back for seconds! Same goes for the dessert, serve them in little dishes or ramekins or glasses, that way you get controlled portions :)

Not to mention if you prepare as much of the stuff yourself and give the house a good clean and tidy before everyone arrives - really put your back into it - I bet you'll have actually burned off most of the cals! Cooking and cleaning are my main forms of activity that get me up and burning :3

Good luck! :D
  • kjones3535
    kjones3535 Posts: 139
    Options
    Make him help you cook. I am the same way about dinner parties, they send my blood pressure through the roof. Not only is there cooking but cleaning (before and after the party). It is just too much work.

You could have something catered in...just a thought.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    just do it. i would love to have a husband & throw a dinner party tonight.

i will be at the nearest bar tonight talking to strangers & pretending to have fun. <<<<<<<< feeling sorry for myself a bit.

have fun & enjoy life.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Big mistake!

Non dieters hate us dieters going on about calorie this, and carbohydrate that. They REALLY hate the thought of an enforced diet!

You will be spoken about for years to come! Even if you are on a diet you would go out for a meal planning on having a nice break from your diet grub. Major disappointment to go to somebodys expecting Lobster Thermidor only to be served MORE grilled chciken and boiled carrots!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Get your husband to BBQ while you make some sides. That's what we do when we have people over...it takes the load off of me to get so much done.

And for sides.....cube some potatoes, season to your liking, add some oil and onion....wrap in foil....throw it on the BBQ and let him deal with it.

Also he could grill some veggies too.

You could make a nice full salad, and a desert. That way that is a big meal but you aren't doing alot. The prep work is easy, he could do the hard part.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    Tell your husband if he wants a dinner party so bad, he can cook it himself. It makes you anxious, uncomfortable, and you don't want to do it, but he's insisting? Fine. Make him cook everything.

seriously. this.
  • fromfattytohealthy
    Options
    just do it. i would love to have a husband & throw a dinner party tonight.

i will be at the nearest bar tonight talking to strangers & pretending to have fun. <<<<<<<< feeling sorry for myself a bit.

have fun & enjoy life.

Just cause she has what you want doesn't mean she has to like it.

As far as diet food, a huge salad to start is typical for before the main course yet not "diet food" if you don't make it so. For dinner, a grilled meat, some roasted veggies, etc are all healthy, but no one perceives them as diet food unless they're aiming to eat healthy. Dessert is another story, but you can always take a simple thing like apple pie and make it a smidgen healthier. Like a reduced fat graham cracker crust, etc.

Appetizers at a party usually almost always have fruit and veggie platters. You can also do stuffed mushrooms which are healthy, but taste like 1000 calories if they're made right :laugh:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    A big meal can include a nice source of protein and lots of veggies! Showcase your favorite new healthy recipes! Maybe you'll inspire someone in the group who thinks healthy food can't be tasty!
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Big mistake!

Non dieters hate us dieters going on about calorie this, and carbohydrate that. They REALLY hate the thought of an enforced diet!

You will be spoken about for years to come! Even if you are on a diet you would go out for a meal planning on having a nice break from your diet grub. Major disappointment to go to somebodys expecting Lobster Thermidor only to be served MORE grilled chciken and boiled carrots!

Don't tell them it's diet!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    cater it, with lots of healthy choices...
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The fact that you have "diet food" in your vocabulary is a big issue.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Ever dinner party I've ever given, I've not had any time to eat. I was too busy entertaining everyone as well as working to make sure everyone had enough food/drink etc.
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options

Big mistake!

Pssst you don't have to tell people they're eating 'diet food'!

I have friends round for dinner a lot, just little gatherings, and I always make meals that fit into my daily calorie quotas...and they're clueless :P
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

This. I'd be damned if somebody came to me and said I want you to throw a party.
  • fromfattytohealthy
    Options
    The fact that you have "diet food" in your vocabulary is a big issue.

It's not that bad an issue. People interchange "diet" and "lifestyle change." To her guests it would be "diet food" because, chances are, they're not worried about eating healthy and making healthful choices.
  • verbalriot
    verbalriot Posts: 90
    Options
    Losing weight isn't about just dropping the pounds, it's keeping them off! This is a lifestyle change - you'll have dinner parties in your life, right?

Make healthier food and involve your husband. Just because the food isn't heavy, doesn't mean it doesn't taste good!

Check out Cooking Light - tons of great recipes online.