Need non-mircowave lunch ideas

Options
SRR15
SRR15 Posts: 23 Member
Does anyone have healthy lunch recipes? I have a mini-fridge available at work but no microwave. Plus, I need them to be pretty energizing because I tend to work 10 hour shifts. I'm getting fed up with sandwiches and the restaurants in the shopping center have started calling my name! Help please!

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    lots of creative salads.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    How about some wraps? You can stuff them with tons of different items and they are nice, neat, versatile little packages in themselves. Stuff with chicken & black beans with veggies and some sauce...or maybe Rice and steak strips with veggies and seasoning .... or well anything to make them feel more like meals and less like a sandwich.
  • amberlitaaa
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I eat a lot of salads, or I'll bring things that I don't mind eating cold like pasta or chicken and veggies.
    But with salads, you can be a little more creative and throw whatever you want in. Good luck! :happy:
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    You could also invest in a thermos. They make them for soups and such. I use one and it will keep soup hot for up to 5 hours. I take lots of stuff to work in it. Since I eat several meals while working (long shifts too) I plan on eating my 'hot' lunch first.

However- it doesn't like the microwave- so I heat it before putting it in the thermos. Typically, I will heat it for an extra minute too, this way it is piping hot when I seal it up.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I started packing relish trays in lieu of "lunch" and have lots of things that I like to snack on throughout the day. I pack up string cheese (cut into cubes), black olives, pepperoni, crackers, baby tomatoes, baby carrots, baby corn ~ you get the idea. Marinate stuff in different dressings for an alternation here and there. You can pop popcorn at home and bring it in a bag, there's lots of little creative things you can do. :)
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Look for salad recipes that aren't based on lettuce for a change of pace. How about tomato and cucumber salad in a homemade vinaigrette? Or salads with a brown rice base? You can get lots of different flavors that way. One of my favorites is brown rice with low-fat turkey pepperoni, low-fat mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, onions and green peppers with a low-fat italian dressing.

If you make a big batch of brown rice over the weekend, in the mornings you can throw a bit of it in a bowl, add whatever combination of veggies/lean meats sounds good to you that day, toss in one of your favorite lite dressings, and give it a good stir. It will marinate nicely in the hours until lunch time, and you can change up the flavor each and every time by varying the components.
  • SRR15
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone! Looks like I'll be hitting up the grocery store today. :)
  • lisajsteele
    Options
    I have also heard of people who use a mini crock pot and cook themselves something while they are working. These are perfect for 1 person meals. Then, at least you would have something hot to eat every once in a while.

Good luck!
  • Brunchstress
    Options
    I love the wrap idea! Ezekial makes a fantastic wrap that is high in protein and low in bad stuff. I just had one today and put in a tablespoon or two of humous, low fat yogurt, quinoa salad (from Costco), lentils and rice. It was really high in protein and filled me up! You could also have some fruit, too. The best thing is that you're thinking ahead. Planning is key!
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    I love pita pockets because unlike a sandwich you can stuff almost anything in them. Leftover beans and rice...salad and tuna...fish and cabbage...steak and peppers. The options are pretty broad. A thermos is a great option as well....fill it with homemade soups loaded with veggies, chicken and beans or pasta. Yummy!!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Do you have your own desk? This has been a lifesaver for me since I don't order out anymore -- http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-BL-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V8RG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1343496465&sr=8-7&keywords=crockpot+mini.

I bring my leftovers in, turn on the little desk crockpot and 3-4 hours later I enjoy my nice hot lunch.
  • bbrat333
    bbrat333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    green, pasta, tuna, chicken or fruit salads.
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    Do you have your own desk? This has been a lifesaver for me since I don't order out anymore -- http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-BL-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V8RG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1343496465&sr=8-7&keywords=crockpot+mini.

I bring my leftovers in, turn on the little desk crockpot and 3-4 hours later I enjoy my nice hot lunch.

Why have I not heard of this before? That's perfect! That'll make the most perfect little gifts for my Mom and sister.
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Look for a recipe online for Russian Potato Salad. It is very popular in Spain (strange name choic,eh?). Potatoes, peas, carrots, tuna, egg, pickles, etc... Sounds odd, but it is really good.
  • SRR15
    Options
    Look for a recipe online for Russian Potato Salad. It is very popular in Spain (strange name choic,eh?). Potatoes, peas, carrots, tuna, egg, pickles, etc... Sounds odd, but it is really good.

I actually know a similar dish! It's called Salad Oliviea (sp?). It's a persian chicken salad dish but it also have potatoes, peas, carrots, pickles, and eggs!
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also like to make a cannellini bean/tuna mash with herbs. Stuff it in half of a bell pepper. Eat away!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    if you are pretty adventurous in cooking and have an hour or two the night before to make them, stuffed grape leaves ("dolmades") are absolutely delicious, either hot or cold. They are seriously like crack for me, and I can never eat just one of them.

http://greekfood.about.com/od/meatappetizersmezethes/r/dolmathakia2.htm
  • corriewarren
    Options
    I don't know if this idea has been posted yet - but here goes. I take 3 slices of deli meat (chicken, turkey, roast beef) and roll it around a piece of cheese about the size of a pencil. If you roll them tight and put them in a ziploc bag, they will keep their shape pretty well. You can grab and go if needed, or sit and enjoy. 2-3 usually fill me up. sometimes I eat wasa sesame crackers with them. or pimento cheese....hard boiled eggs......refried beans but they have to be heated....hmmmmm taco salad with salsa is good and served cold. what about chicken salad or tunafish salad?