Any South Louisianan's

Well though its nice to have many friends around the world on this site helping me to stay motivated, I was wondering if there were any fellow Cajuns on here. It is truly difficult with the great foods in this area, but I want to know how fellow cajuns are doing on their diets. I have been on this site now for 2 weeks and now have lost 13 lbs. I want to hear some of your successes.

Replies

• im gonna be moving to Louisiana in a few months but i have tons of family that give me some good places that has good cajun food but also doesnt have alot of calories. Where in Louisiana are you?
  • WOOO LA!
    I have no suggestions, but proud Cajun here :)
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Lafayette here. Pure cadjin. Add me.

Lache pas la patate!
  • CajunNino
    Lafayette here. Pure cadjin. Add me.

Lache pas la patate!
    BTW... it's hard resisting our great food, but I suppose moderation is the key. My wife's been after me to make some gumbo (which in our house is all year long)...and I've been sticking to my diet and routine. Hope you can get much out of this site. Bonne chance.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 650 Member
    Born and raised in South Louisiana. There's no secret.....just moderation while incorporating a healthy diet. Broussard here....
  • CajunNino
    im gonna be moving to Louisiana in a few months but i have tons of family that give me some good places that has good cajun food but also doesnt have alot of calories. Where in Louisiana are you?
    I know lot's of good places, but not for healthy calories and that. I love Lagneaux's here in Lafayette....but they got lots of good places that aren't "chains."
  • CajunNino
    Born and raised in South Louisiana. There's no secret.....just moderation while incorporating a healthy diet. Broussard here....
    Exactly neg... I'm loving that Canebrake beer y'all got down the road. I think they ready to put it in bottles soon.
  • esmith80
    esmith80 Posts: 2
    I grew up in south LA (Thibodaux) and now live in BR. The only suggestion is moderation and using brown rice.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    I'm not from Louisiana (close though, I'm a Texan!) but can I just say I'm really, REALLY jealous? I love everything about New Orleans and especially the food! Omg, beignets and cafe au lait from Cafe Du Monde...to die for. On second thought, I probably should never live there...I'd definitely not be able to resist the delicious food!
  • CajunNino
    I'm not from Louisiana (close though, I'm a Texan!) but can I just say I'm really, REALLY jealous? I love everything about New Orleans and especially the food! Omg, beignets and cafe au lait from Cafe Du Monde...to die for. On second thought, I probably should never live there...I'd definitely not be able to resist the delicious food!
    Glad you love New Orleans. Even though New Orleans is not cajun.
    My wife was born and raised in New Orleans....and we cook different. Still all good though. Yeah, it's hard to resist...

but y'all I have some substitutions for some things:
    instead of traditional oil and flour roux.... use tony's instant roux... no fat.
    use brown rice
    use turkey sausage
    if you use tasso.... get the turkey tasso.
    okra and tomatoes... is just perfect...lol
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    born and raised as a yankee coonass...does that count?

(that's anybody from north of I10 in LA for those who thought I just threw out something derogatory or racist).
  • lol well taylor I can actually see I10 from my house which is just south of me so I suppose I am in the same boat lol
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member

Glad you love New Orleans. Even though New Orleans is not cajun.
    My wife was born and raised in New Orleans....and we cook different. Still all good though. Yeah, it's hard to resist...

Well, unfortunately for me, I've only ever experienced the New Orleans style food, since i have no family in Louisiana and have only been on mini vacations to the actual city. I do know some people from Louisiana (Lafayette, if I remember correctly) and their cooking is phenomenal. They did a crawfish boil for a graduation party and I almost died and went to food heaven! Cajun is definitely one of my favorite cuisines. In fact, I've convinced my mom that we should do a Cajun themed Christmas day meal this year so I've been slowly gathering authentic recipes.

• Glad you love New Orleans. Even though New Orleans is not cajun.

Well, unfortunately for me, I've only ever experienced the New Orleans style food, since i have no family in Louisiana and have only been on mini vacations to the actual city. I do know some people from Louisiana (Lafayette, if I remember correctly) and their cooking is phenomenal. They did a crawfish boil for a graduation party and I almost died and went to food heaven! Cajun is definitely one of my favorite cuisines. In fact, I've convinced my mom that we should do a Cajun themed Christmas day meal this year so I've been slowly gathering authentic recipes.

Well he is right.. I do not care for the Creole food of New Orleans. But the food here in lafayette is the best lol. I really don't care for New Orleans at all. Its nothing against the people but I am not a fan of that big of a city. Lafayette is fine with me:)