Husband wants me to have dinner party!!!

Options

Replies

• fromfattytohealthy
    fromfattytohealthy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't about just dropping the pounds, it's keeping them off! This is a lifestyle change - you'll have dinner parties in your life, right?

Make healthier food and involve your husband. Just because the food isn't heavy, doesn't mean it doesn't taste good!

Check out Cooking Light - tons of great recipes online.

OMG. Cooking Light. Their magazines are like bibles to me. So many good recipes :bigsmile:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Is there an occasion or for work or what? Sometimes a significant other tries to sabotage the other one's weight loss effort. Aside from that, people don't eat like they did in 1950...they are much more health conscious. DUMP the heavy French and Italian dishes...go for nice grilled fish and/or chicken, veggies, noodles or rice (with sauces on the side)...fruit and/or berries with a plain cake bottom with whipped cream, coffee. Don't make it harder than it is...these left-overs, you CAN use!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Hello? Why isn't he cooking this himself?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Make your husband throw the dinner party.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I recently had a dinner party.
    How I was able to keep the calories down was to avoid starches like potatoes, corn or rice.
    I served:

APPETIZER:
    Rillette de Porc (bought from the store - it is like pork paté)
    Cranberry & hazelnut Raincoast crackers

MAIN:
    Grilled fennel, garlic & beets (on the BBQ)
    Goat cheese crumble Salad with cherry tomatoes with Balsamic vinegar
    BBQ Pork ribs (cooked in slow cooker 5 hours prior)

DESSERT:
    Fresh blueberries
    Greek Yogurt

DRINKS:
    Water
    Tea
    Wine (guests brought it)
  • fromfattytohealthy
    Options
    Hello? Why isn't he cooking this himself?

:laugh: That was my first response. If Jay (my hubby) told me I had to cook for a dinner he wanted to cook, I'd laugh and sit in my sweats all day and watch him panic to get everything done. Why? Cause he should have said, "Hey, I was thinking about throwing a dinner party, and would love it if you cooked with me." And then divvy up the chores. I love cooking, and I don't mind parties too much, but being told that I had to do all the cooking when I didn't want to do anything in the first place? Yeah, **** that.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Make "diet food" for everyone!

Big mistake!

Non dieters hate us dieters going on about calorie this, and carbohydrate that. They REALLY hate the thought of an enforced diet!

You will be spoken about for years to come! Even if you are on a diet you would go out for a meal planning on having a nice break from your diet grub. Major disappointment to go to somebodys expecting Lobster Thermidor only to be served MORE grilled chciken and boiled carrots!

Don't tell them it's diet!

A bit naive

Healthy food is not, never has been, and never will be as tasty as the unhealthy alternative for the majority.

If it were then there wouldn't be an obesity epedemic!

You may well prefer it, many on here will prefer it, but believe me, presented with a rack of juicy calorie laden, sticky barbeque sauce ribs, or your "nobody will notice' diet food, they will chose the former! Most people these days know what's good for them, they know the difference, but chose the unhealthy options regardless
  • fromfattytohealthy
    Options

Big mistake!

Non dieters hate us dieters going on about calorie this, and carbohydrate that. They REALLY hate the thought of an enforced diet!

You will be spoken about for years to come! Even if you are on a diet you would go out for a meal planning on having a nice break from your diet grub. Major disappointment to go to somebodys expecting Lobster Thermidor only to be served MORE grilled chciken and boiled carrots!

A bit naive

Healthy food is not, never has been, and never will be as tasty as the unhealthy alternative for the majority.

You may well prefer it, many on here will prefer it, but believe me, presented with a rack of juicy calorie laden, sticky barbeque sauce ribs, or your "nobody will notice' diet food, they will chose the former! Most people these days know what's good for them, they know the difference, but chose the unhealthy options regardless

Healthy alternatives can be delicious. People are just ignorant and lazy, in general, hence the obesity epidemic. Not the fact that healthy food doesn't taste as good. If it doesn't, you're doing it wrong.
  • Wonderob
    Options

Big mistake!

Pssst you don't have to tell people they're eating 'diet food'!

I have friends round for dinner a lot, just little gatherings, and I always make meals that fit into my daily calorie quotas...and they're clueless :P

99% of people would never even contemplate being anything but grateful for a lovely dinner made by someone else - and so they shouldn't be! But they know it isn't the usual, no calories spared grub
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and entertain!!! Depending on your cooking comfort is really the issue. Bland 'diet' food is gross, but so is bland 'comfort' food. It's all about spicing things up.
  • kann09
    kann09 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! The other problem is people are food pushers!! If they see you eating small portions the tend to push food on you. I can not stand when people do that!!! All you hear is "you can go back on your diet tomorrow" I think that is a was to ease their guilt for over eating. I feel like I am always on the edge with food these days.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Big mistake!

A bit naive

I'm sorry, but just because it's "healthy" doesn't mean it doesn't taste good. I've had a lot of "healthy" food that's better than any "normal" food. If you're not satisfied with the "healthy" food you've been eaten then you're doing it wrong.

The reason people are fat are not because "healthy" food taste worse, but it's more work, more effort. People don't cook any more. They don't try to understand their food. Because "healthy" food taste better.

BTW, my BBQ sauce is low in calorie and taste better than any store bought BBQ sauce you can ever buy. You know why? Because I make it from scratch!
  • ahelgers10
    ahelgers10 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    If you are that anxious about it tell your husband you aren't ready yet. Tell him to ask again in a few weeks or months to see if you are ready. It is not making yourself anxious over. If its the temptation of the food then you could make a mixture options. You could make some healthier dishes and some more popular high calorie dishes.

Don't have him force you into something you don't feel comfortable with. It is not worth making yourself anxious over that could turn into a bigger problem.
  • kann09
    kann09 Posts: 12
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention. We just moved into a new house 2 months ago and his TWO yes TWO adult children are moving in with us. One Moved in 2 weeks after we were in our new house. The next one comes this weekend. He also wants me to hurry with the party before his friends go on vacation. LOL. I really dont like the people all that much.
  • Wonderob
    Options

Big mistake!

A bit naive

I'm sorry, but just because it's "healthy" doesn't mean it doesn't taste good. I've had a lot of "healthy" food that's better than any "normal" food. If you're not satisfied with the "healthy" food you've been eaten then you're doing it wrong.

The reason people are fat are not because "healthy" food taste worse, but it's more work, more effort. People don't cook any more. They don't try to understand their food. Because "healthy" food taste better.

BTW, my BBQ sauce is low in calorie and taste better than any store bought BBQ sauce you can ever buy. You know why? Because I make it from scratch!

You think it is but it really isn't

If your home made, healthy, low calorie BBQ sauce is better than the non-healthy version then sell your recipe to all the supermarkets, to TGIs, and to all other restaurants, you will make millions

Truth is that if there was a better tasting low calorie version then everyone would use it in their restaurants - they don't becuase it doesn't taste quite as good. Even the very top chefs when making their signature dishes, when prep time and ingredient quailty is not compromised, will not chose healthier options - they will go for taste
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think as long as it is a feast for the eyes as well as healthy and delicious you cannot go wrong.

I'd check out Pinterest.com or something for ideas. They have some beautiful looking dishes that don't use a bunch of unhealthy ingredients.

I totally know the draw of wanting to sample all kinds of delicious foods. But with loads of healthy but delicious and appetizing options that aren't technically 'diet' food, you could swing it.

Maybe even say "OK if I have a dinner party, I'm going to need help from you Dear Husband." And you could even work out extra hard that day to make up for any extra calories? Some dishes could be prepped the day before too to allow you extra workout time just in case?

I'm a big fan of make 'mini' things. Like mini cupcakes for dessert. You can make them look adorable and cute and its in moderation!
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Big mistake!

A bit naive

You think it is but it really isn't

If your home made, healthy, low calorie BBQ sauce is better than the non-healthy version then sell your recipe to all the supermarkets, to TGIs, and to all other restaurants, you will make millions

Truth is that if there was a better tasting low calorie version then everyone would use it in their restaurants - they don't becuase it doesn't taste quite as good. Even the very top chefs when making their signature dishes, when prep time and ingredient quailty is not compromised, will not chose healthier options - they will go for taste

You really think Kroger cares about taste? You think all those chain places care about taste? They care about Price! Kroger have chemists imitate taste while keeping the price of the ingredients as low as possible. Why do you think those fancy restaurants can cost as much as hundreds and thousands of dollar a meal. Because of ingredients. Fresh and good quality ingredients will always taste better. Without all those chemical crap to make it taste like real food, real food will always taste better and are healthier.

Healthy food does not always equal bad tasting food. If so, then you're doing it wrong. End of discussion.
  • Wonderob
    Options

Healthy food does not always equal bad tasting food. If so, then you're doing it wrong. End of discussion.

Never said it did, there's some lovely tasting healthy food. But most people recognise that non-healthy tastes better. the few that think otherwise are in the minority
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options

Never said it did, there's some lovely tasting healthy food. But most people recognise that non-healthy tastes better. the few that think otherwise are in the minority

It's time. That's what it boils down to and I will admit being guilty of this. It's easier to just buy crap or eat somewhere than it is to cook and prepare from scratch. Does the food taste better? Not really. It's the fact that it's there and it's available. So many of us are running around like crazy because of our busy lives. I can't tell you how many times I've gone some place and left fat, bloated, and unsatisfied. I'm done doing that but it does take discipline to make the right meals. I promise that when I make flank steak with gorgonzola and chive sauce with orzo, NO ONE complains and it's healthy and light! As a matter of fact I've made it for other people who were having dinner parties and wanted to serve it to their guests! :wink:
  • jvfdjfdg
    jvfdjfdg Posts: 1
    Options
    u want to eat normal healthy and lite foods like house food is better for u.