ARTICLE about drinking too much water - WOW!!!

Options
Thought I would share this article with you all. Kind of scary because I know a lot of us tend to hydrate as much as possible...it never occured to me that this could (at times) be a bad thing.

http://www.wfaa.com/video?id=163891296&sec=552922&ref=rcvidmod

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It takes a ridiculous amount of water for this to happen, though. I like how the article didn't mention how much she drank.
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Options
    As far as I understand, as long as your going to the restroom enough, you can't drink too much water.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Water can definitely be toxic to your body, however, it takes significant amounts of water for the average person.
  • nicolemariemclovin
    nicolemariemclovin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    totally irrelevant, but can i just say, the fact that bob ross is the picture in your ticker makes you one of my favourite people?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It takes a ridiculous amount of water for this to happen, though. I like how the article didn't mention how much she drank.

Actually, it did: "All told, before, during and after the workout, Schuchany may have consumed a gallon of water." But that was probably over a 2-3 hour period, which is why it threw her body off balance.
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Most recommendations I've seen are to take 1/2 your body weight and drink that many oz per day.

For example If you weigh 150 lbs you should drink 75 oz of water a day.

That provides a pretty good ball park figure to work with.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    As far as I understand, as long as your going to the restroom enough, you can't drink too much water.

"...and we're gonna put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there. And that'll just be our little secret. And if you tell ANYONE that that bush is there, I will come to your house and I will cut you!"

Also, it is hard to drink enough water to die. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    I drink a few gallons of water a day, I wouldn't worry too much about this if I were you.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Yeah. The water bottle she was drinking from looked pretty big.
    Maybe 24-36 oz & they said she had 4 of them in a short period of time.
    Which is more than a gallon.
    That'll do it to ya.
  • Belligerent_Wombat
    Belligerent_Wombat Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Most recommendations I've seen are to take 1/2 your body weight and drink that many oz per day.

I don't think I can handle the oz requirement for me using that formula...160 oz?!?!?!
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

She consumed about a gallon of water.... She over did it, but the article is educational and should teach that we have to be wise with the heat and not over due the weight loss and etc. Sometimes to far can be deadly.
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options

As long as the happy clouds rain - you should be fine =D
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

This!!! Exactly what I do daily.... Best of Luck...
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It was the gallon in a short amount of time. Diluted her system too much. Yes you can have too much water, even if your going to bathroom. hyponatremia. Have pt's come in alot, especially in summer, with this. Take liter bottle with you keep up with water. If you have had alot in a short amount of time, then drink powerade or gatorade to get electrolytes.
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options

Actually drinking too much water CAN kill you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

edit: I see this link was posted already. Anyhow it is hard to do but possible.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think it's also important to mention that she was sweating so losing salt that way.
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    It's weird, no one has died from dehydration during a marathon for a long time, but a fair few have died from drinking too much.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    YES you can drink too much water! I don't understand how "going to the bathroom' will combat over-hydration. Hyponatremia is more common then everyone thinks. Especially on a hot summer day.

As the newsclip says, " If you WEIGH MORE after a workout than you did BEFORE the workout, you drank too much water!'

Sport drinks will help with electrolyte replenishment. Not more water.
  • Colleen_G
    Colleen_G Posts: 57
    Options

I don't think I can handle the oz requirement for me using that formula...160 oz?!?!?!

You can handle it. I have to drink 184oz. it isn't the easiest thing to do in the world, I am always walking around with my bottle and drinking from it, but slow and steady. I am basically drinking a glass and a half over an hour...every hour I am awake. Now...pre, during and post work out I do consume more water (we workout outside...in Phoenix), but I noticed that I drink less in the evening when I get home.
  • whitefang66
    whitefang66 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    over-hydrating can cause death... as the fluid will flood the body, but as someone previously said, it takes a lot.. simple answer is, follow your thirst.. if you feel thirsty, drink.. if you dont.. dont! simples :)