Late Night Snack

Options
bago08
bago08 Posts: 360 Member
Is there a food that is better than others for something late at night not long before bed.

Some nights I get done work not long before I need to go to sleep and I keep a few calories so I dont go to bed hungry after working late. I was wondering if there was something out there that is known to be a good bed time snack or does it not matter when you use your calories.

Thanks

Replies

• hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Smoothie/shake hits the spot!
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it matters when calories are consumed - as you say, calories are calories. But, I have found two slices of cheddar cheese (domino size) and three wheat Ritz crackers serves me well ;)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Thought this was going to be about Late Night Snack ice cream.... which I miss dearly since going vegan :(

I find if I eat too much starchy carbs at night I can feel yucky in the morning. Thats the only thing I try to avoid. Something like fruit, yogurt, veggies and hummus, or a cup of cereal would be a good option in my opinion if you just want something small.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I would say go with what you want, if it is within your macros and sufficiently satisfying filling...fitting some protein in there is always good though. I don't think when you eat makes any difference, I often have cottage cheese and fruit before bed.
  • bago08
    Options
    Smoothie/shake hits the spot!

Good idea.. thanks
  • bago08
    Options
    Thought this was going to be about Late Night Snack ice cream.... which I miss dearly since going vegan :(

I find if I eat too much starchy carbs at night I can feel yucky in the morning. Thats the only thing I try to avoid. Something like fruit, yogurt, veggies and hummus, or a cup of cereal would be a good option in my opinion if you just want something small.

I love ice cream. Dont tempt me.. Im doing good so far.
  • makenziewhicker
    makenziewhicker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    EAT EAT EAT! Eat until you sleep! personally i stick with 2 eggs before I go to bed, I fluctuate between hard boiled and fried. If you choose to do a carb choose a healthy one high in fiber. Maybe oatmeal or a 1/2 cup of brown rice or quinoa. When you sleep your body is doing all the recovery from that day so if you weight lift or do cardio it's crucial that the last meal you eat is going to be beneficial to your recovery :)
  • bago08
    Options
    Sounds like avoiding carbs before bed is the way to go
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Try a glass of milk & a piece of fruit, or a small bowl of cereal/oatmeal.
  • jenzsd
    jenzsd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A small handful of almonds works for me sometimes. I agree with others to avoid carbs at all costs, or anything too sugary. Try for filling, clean food as your late night snack.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese or anything similar high in casein ( Lor cheese is much better in texture and taste, higher in protein and lower in calories, not sure if it's available in the US, though). Add berries and it'll keep you full through the night.
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I usually have ^ Slices of Bar's Deli Shaved Black forest ham. 60 cals and it hits the spot
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    Iv just had two oatcakes one with cottage cheese and a slice of apple and one with a little peanut butter and slice of apple YUM!! :smile: