Sweet Potato Pancakes with added Protein.

teally13
teally13 Posts: 30
I saw a clip on youtube the other day with this recipe and really wanted to try it out as I love sweet potatoes. I really liked how these turned out so I thought I'd share.

3 medium Sweet Potatoes (can be baked, microwaved or boiled)
3 egg whites
20/30g walnuts (optional)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
sesame oil for frying
Whey powder ( the guy put enough in to provide 50g protein)

Really simple to make. Start by preparing the potatoes by boiling, microwaving or baking and when done put the mashed flesh in a bowl. Add the egg whites, walnuts (if you want...I forgot to add mine!), baking powder, spices (I just used mixed spice instead) and protein powder to the mash and mix till well blended. The mixture is pretty thick and smells delicious.

Heat a non stick frying pan on a medium heat and add a bit of oil (I swapped the oil for frylight) and when hot enough pour some of the mixture in. Cook on each side for about 2 minutes. I drizzled a little honey on mine but they are pretty good just on their own.

Hope you enjoy.

Replies

• do u have to put in the protein powder?
  • teally13
    No not at all, the protein powder was for weight training means only.
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Thanks for posting! I love sweet potatoes. Will have to try these
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    what flavor of protein powder did he use? I usually only buy chocolate but that wouldn't go very well with the sweet potatoes... maybe vanilla would be good?
  • lishwish
    lishwish Posts: 46 Member
    bump!
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    How many pancakes does this recipe make? Sounds yum.
  • teally13
    what flavor of protein powder did he use? I usually only buy chocolate but that wouldn't go very well with the sweet potatoes... maybe vanilla would be good?

I made it with vanilla (but then I only like the vanilla protein) but he was saying to use any flavour you want. Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlJKZJyHdkA
  • teally13
    How many pancakes does this recipe make? Sounds yum.

4 big ones or up to eight smaller ones.
  • nrd2212
    nrd2212 Posts: 128
    bump
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    How large are your "medium" sweet potatoes? Can you give me a size in inches or ounces? Around here our sweet potatoes are HUGE so a medium potato is way way bigger than what you would consider "medium" on the west coast haha
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Bump!

Thanks for sharing! I totally plan on making these soon :smile:
  • heidi1955
    heidi1955 Posts: 16 Member
    Sounds Great!