Need Spaghetti Sauce Recipes

Options
I have tons of green tomatoes in my garden. I am (im)patiently waiting for them to turn red. Does anyone have any tasty homemade spaghetti sauce recipes? I looked online and most use canned tomato paste. I want a recipe that just uses fresh ingredients.

Replies

• callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem...but you can make your own tomato paste.

http://theitaliandishblog.com/imported-20090913150324/2009/9/20/make-your-own-tomato-paste-estratto.html

Seems like an awful long and tedious process though...
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Well I use tinned tomatoes but... I cube an aubergine and fry the cubes without oil until they're all melty and charred, and then crumble half a stock cube (not great if you're watching the salt) into the aubergine, add a thinly sliced red onion, and some chilli powder, and mix it with the tomatoes. And then I chop loads of coriander and mix it in just before serving.

That's really boring though (: haha.
  • melann1974
    melann1974 Posts: 84
    Options
    Any other ideas for a garden full of fresh tomatoes? My mom makes a lot of salsa with hers, but we don't eat too much salsa.
  • amberlitaaa
    Options
    roasted chicken and tomatoes! I've also done hollowed out tomatoes with veggies and an egg cracked in the center. I also like mine sliced with cottage cheese and black pepper. :)
  • eml48341
    eml48341 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Here is a marinara recipe taken from the blog fashionable foodie. It is so good and I love using fresh non-processed ingredients.

fresh tomato marinara sauce

8 big garden tomatoes, or 10 romas (must be garden fresh. no blando supermart tomatoes! if you must, use a couple big 28 oz cans/quarts of tomatoes.)
    1/2 onion, chopped
    3 Tablespoons olive oil
    1 bay leaf
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons fresh basil
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons sugar (Idon't add sugar to mine, but it can be added if you have really acidic tomoatoes)
    2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

drop half of the tomatoes into boiling water in a big stockpot and boil for 45 seconds. remove to a big bowl of ice water. repeat with the other half of the tomatoes. peel dump the water out of the stockpot to use for sauce. set aside.

chop the onion. preheat the oil in the stockpot. (sure you could use less oil, but it adds richness and flavor. minimum 2 Tbsp. ok.) drop the onion in the oil and soften for 5 mins over medium heat.

working quickly, peel the skins off of the tomatoes, they should slide right off after you break the skin. cut out cores and cut tomatoes into big 2-3 inch chunks. (they cook so long, they break down. you can cut them in huge quarters.)

drop the tomatoes into the pot with the onions. add in all of the tomatoes, the garlic and the bay leaf. bring to a boil. hard simmer for a half hour.

add basil, oregano, salt, and sugar. adjust seasonings to taste. (it just depends on your tomatoes. sometimes you need more or less salt, more sugar, just taste. but for heavens sakes, blow on the spoon alot before you taste. just a tip i've come by the hard way. six thousand times.)

hard simmer another half hour. liquid should have boiled down and reduced by about half. stir in balsamic vinegar. taste, maybe add another teaspoon balsamic.
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You could tweak this to make it fresh. It's from one of Giada's cookbooks.

½ cup olive oil
    2 small onions, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    2 celery stalks, finely chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
    ½ teas. Sea salt
    ½ teas. Black pepper
    2, 32 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
    2 dried bay leaves.
    ---
    1. In a large pot, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent. This will take about 10 minutes.
    2. Add the celergy, carrots, and ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
    3. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour.
    4. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper to taste.
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Recipes sound great! Will definitely have to try them!

Mark
  • nesi0606
    nesi0606 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I saw this recipe today on yahoo!!! Can't get much easier than this only three ingredients. I haven't tried it but it looks easy and tasty!!!

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/easiest-best-tomato-sauce-recipe-155900535.html

Good Luck with all the tomatoes!!
  • melann1974
    melann1974 Posts: 84
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • amhalterman
    amhalterman Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump for later