Baby Carrots = Heavily processed - Would you still eat them?

Options

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I eat them but I think you just convinced me not to anymore lol yuck :P
    This may affect my choice to buy as well.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I eat them. Ideally I'd buy regular and cut them into sticks myself. I've tried. I'm lazy. I figure some kind of carrot is better than no carrots.

I know the feeling...I do occasionally buy regular carrots and cut them myself, but I like the convenience and as far as I've read on my own, the "cons" that the OP listed were pretty much de-bunked.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

same

interesting!
  • 50in10
    50in10 Posts: 6
    Options
    Oh yuk! Not eating them again. Can you tell me something disgusting about chocolate????
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I mean, baby carrots are still better than the alternative chips, cookies, and candy.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    You can buy baby carrots that aren't soaked in chlorine if that worries you. Most of the baby carrots I see in stores clearly stated that they do not use chlorine on the package. Also, there are frequently recalls on all sorts of vegetables, regardless of them being cut up or not. All it takes is one sick person with poop on their hands and the bacteria spreads like wildfire. Most vegetables are picked by humans, so the risk is there with all veg. I'd say your safest bet would be to grow your own. I've never gotten sick from my homegrown veggies. The reduction in beta-Carotene is from the skin being peeled, which many people do anyway when the slice them on their own.
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This may affect my choice to buy as well.

THIS
  • ccjsmama
    ccjsmama Posts: 2
    Options
    WOW I never even gave this much thought before!!! I buy them for convenience but I will definately go back to cutting up my own. I eat mine with hummus as an afternoon snack.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Um, yeah, me too!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I will go with regular carrots now, thanks!
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Oh yuk! Not eating them again. Can you tell me something disgusting about chocolate????

LOL!:laugh: Yes, I'd like to know as well!
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Have not touched any in years, ever since I read how they are processed:sick:
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The convenience doesn't make up for the cost for me.. I buy whole carrots 2lbs at a time n process them myself(wash, skin, and whatever else needs to be done for the usage) plus the whole ones taste sweeter to me, might be in my mind but I don't like the cut baby carrots.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Never liked them....always preferred the regular sized carrots that you peel. The baby ones just felt all slimy and gross. If I DO have to eat one, i'll wash it really well first.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    If you are too lazy to chop a normal size carrot then you have bigger problems than Beta Carotene consumption.

Actually not really -- you can't be perfect all the time. At least I can't. I HATE peeling carrots. I cannot explain it, it's not rational, but i freaking hate those shavings - so I buy baby carrots. There are worse things.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them because I think they taste like the equivalent of a sh**ty carrot soaked in water.

But when I found out the things you posted above when doing some research a few months ago it pretty much sealed the deal.
  • dawLs
    dawLs Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm allergic to beta carotene :(
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You can buy baby carrots that aren't soaked in chlorine if that worries you. Most of the baby carrots I see in stores clearly stated that they do not use chlorine on the package. Also, there are frequently recalls on all sorts of vegetables, regardless of them being cut up or not. All it takes is one sick person with poop on their hands and the bacteria spreads like wildfire. Most vegetables are picked by humans, so the risk is there with all veg. I'd say your safest bet would be to grow your own. I've never gotten sick from my homegrown veggies. The reduction in beta-Carotene is from the skin being peeled, which many people do anyway when the slice them on their own.

Yep, thanks for this. About 10 years ago there was a HUGE tomato recall where I live. Seems the people working the fields were going to the bathroom in them. Also, I just checked my packages and they are clearly labeled they aren't soaked in chlorine.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I read that the baby carrots are the jacked up looking carrots (the ones that aren't straight) that people don't usually buy in the stores...so farmers send them off to be turned into baby carrots rather than waste them.

Ever since I read that I've made it a point to buy as many f'd up carrots from the store as I need. I don't care at all what they look like. As long as they taste good.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the SNOPES.com link!

I just found out THERE ARE MORE CALORIES per serving of baby carrots vs a natural carrot!