ADHD Medication Affecting Appetite

Options
Since I started taking my ADD medicine yesterday, I've been significantly less hungry, and I was wondering if it was just my appetite or my metabolism slowing down as well? If that makes sense? Haha basically what I'm asking is even though my appetite is reduced, is my metabolism still running the same as before I started taking it? Because I could easily eat 1100 cals a day no problem now it's a stretch to get to 900 simply because I'm not hungry. Help!!

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Many ADD meds are notorious as appetite suppressants. In fact one of the most common reasons for stopping meds is the problem with maintaining a healthy weight while on them. You may need to work with you doc to adjust the dose so you still get the increased focus required without getting the total lack of appetite or the early evening crash and burn. There are several different types of meds with various modes of action. So if one doesn't work out there are others to try.

But the short answer if they can make it hard to eat enough and maintain weight, fitness and muscle strength.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    ADHD meds are appetite suppressants. When my son came off of them he ate like a horse and started packing on the lbs. So try to make yourself eat a healthy diet even if you don't feel hungry.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Your metabolism is running as before, it's just your appetite that is suppressed. Use your calorie log as your secret weapon to ensure that you're getting adequate nutrition. I know 2 people on this site you went into a horrible ultra low calorie intake after starting ADHD meds and as far as I know haven't recovered yet. Don't let it happen to you.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Since I started taking my ADD medicine yesterday, I've been significantly less hungry, and I was wondering if it was just my appetite or my metabolism slowing down as well? If that makes sense? Haha basically what I'm asking is even though my appetite is reduced, is my metabolism still running the same as before I started taking it? Because I could easily eat 1100 cals a day no problem now it's a stretch to get to 900 simply because I'm not hungry. Help!!

Are you taking focalin? My son takes that and he lost a lot of weight. We cut it down to 10, and he is doing so much better.

Keep punching! Sigh, sometimes wish people didn't have to take this but ohh well :(.
  • Pfitzer
    Pfitzer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was on ADHD meds for a few years and I had the same problem. Little to no appetite and severe dry mouth. I got pretty addicted to them and was being prescribed a dosage that is now illegal because it was bad for my heart. I stopped taking them to have a baby, and never started taking them again. I recommend not using them every day, and fnding other ways to manage your ADHD. I have a timer I wear that vibrates as often as I set it to so I can check in with myself and make sure I'm on task. It is challenging, but I hated the way they made my body feel.
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My son has been on ADHD meds for a few years now, and he's stuggling to put on weight.... We've gotten him some ENSURE milkshakes. That way he still gets his nutrition, even when he won't eat.. I agree with above poster, some tweaking may be necessary, as we've done many times with my son... Good luck!
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight a few years ago on these meds. I'm talking almost 80lbs. I never wanted to eat. I lost my joy for food. I eventually stopped taking the meds after a growing addicted to them and it all came back and then some. That's not even the half of my story. I have to wonder if I did serious damage to my metabolism because of this. I think the shake idea is a good one. It's much easier to drink calories. Also, I'm learning to manage my symptoms on my own. The meds help, but there are a bunch of side effects and it's so easy to get addicted to them and take them for recreational purposes. It's a slippery slope for some people.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    I'm going to condition my son this coming school year. I think parents should only medicate their children when they go to school only. This whole summer he has been off them, and he has gained weight back. Luckily my son eats like an ox when he gets off them.
  • karliwelhoelter
    karliwelhoelter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am on 20mg Metadate CD :)
  • karliwelhoelter
    karliwelhoelter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm in college, and just finished my first year with less than adequate grades, when I was living at home my parents were on top of me to do my homework and the last two years I still got around them and my grades slipped. I decided to go on medication to help me get my grades back in order, and will wean myself off them when I see necessary and fit :) also, are evening crashes normal? I'm tired, but still feel like I could concentrate easier than normal.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    Also, I'm in college, and just finished my first year with less than adequate grades, when I was living at home my parents were on top of me to do my homework and the last two years I still got around them and my grades slipped. I decided to go on medication to help me get my grades back in order, and will wean myself off them when I see necessary and fit :) also, are evening crashes normal? I'm tired, but still feel like I could concentrate easier than normal.

Gonna finish my last 2 years in UCF. Great school!
  • Dan1724
    Dan1724 Posts: 2
    Options
    Our daughter has had this same problem for years, and we are trying her on Straterra (sp?) now. It is a non-stimulant drug. We are just now trying it for the first time, so I'm sorry I can't tell you how it works just yet as she just started a couple days ago. But it might be worth a talk with your doctor! Good luck! That's an awful battle. I wish you the best! :)
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed by my pcp as having ADHD (I am 39) about a year ago. I tried several different meds and some worked partially but I felt like I was getting worse. I saw a neurologist and he said I have GAD and put me on paxil and most of my ADHD symptoms stopped as well. I stopped taking my ADHD medication. The symptoms are very similar and often mistaken for each other.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    Our daughter has had this same problem for years, and we are trying her on Straterra (sp?) now. It is a non-stimulant drug. We are just now trying it for the first time, so I'm sorry I can't tell you how it works just yet as she just started a couple days ago. But it might be worth a talk with your doctor! Good luck! That's an awful battle. I wish you the best! :)

Hey i'm gonna check with you to see how that works. Thanks for informing us!
  • meganb616
    meganb616 Posts: 15
    Options
    I was on concerta a couple years ago, lost about 45 lbs easily without doing anything. I ate horribly but barely anything at all. I came off of the medication because it made me feel as though i was unsocial like i had a hard time talking to people when i was on the medication if that makes any sense? But after getting off of it i gained about 90 lbs... yikes lol. I am hoping to go back on it soon though because I plan on going back to college and maybe it will also help with my weight loss. I would say that you should just make sure you are eating foods higher in calories because you know you probably won't even think about eating later.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Totally expected (and should be one of the side effects listed on your medication).

I was prescribed dextroamphetamine for over 10 years and stopped just last year (to coincide with major changes I made to my diet). Am glad that chapter of my life is behind me, but still not entirely convinced that I have fully recovered from the effects of such long-term use of the medication.
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with ADHD as an adult and I too am on meds and it has been life changing. I had Dr after Dr try to diagnose me with anything from depression to anxIety. One Dr flat looked at me Nd told me that I have a college degree and a steady job so I am too successful to have adhd. After my nightmare journey I finally got appropriately diagnosed. I have loss of appetite as well. The prob with the meds is your body is still hungry. Your brain is tricked into thinking otherwise. One thing I've noticed is when I start getting grouchy, I have to think how long it's been since I last ate. I try to eat b4 my morning extended release dose, then force down something easy like dried apricots and almonds around lunchtime b4 my afternoon immediate release dose. I eat a healthy dInner wIth a small lean meat, vegetable, and lIght carb for dinner mid evening and have a light snAck after my workout. I found trying to eat "meals" was difficult but snacking was easier on a schedule. The plus is it is easy to stay healthy on my food choices. If the broccoli look s just as (UN) appealing as that greasy pizza then it's an easy choice! Good luck and just remember to fuel your body.
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Five years ago, I was diagnosed with ADHD (predominantly inattentive type). I've been taking Adderall XR (10mg tabs, 3x daily) since then.

Amphetamines are an appetite suppressant. What has helped me is sticking to a routine schedule with meals, and not skipping any. My moods really swing when I haven't eaten, and regular meals calm them down.

ADD meds have many other side effects as well -- faster dehydration rates is one, so drink plenty of water. You'll notice a drop in your physical performance as well (i.e., working out) since it does put a strain on the heart.