Does it really work?

Options
I was cruising the fitness center of a local store and came across a waist trimming "belt" and thigh slimmers, so I'm curious if these things really help at all. I know I can't put them on and sit around its not gonna do crap but has anyone used these and had any success? I'm really interested in the thigh slimmers.

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    sigh.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    No.
  • tosmoothash
    tosmoothash Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I personally use a waist trimming belt that I got from wal mart fot 5 bucks during my workouts. To me it has been working because my mid-section is getting smaller and smaller. When I'm done and take it off it's covered in sweat and my mid-section stays hot for a couple of hours afterwards. I was wanting to try the thigh slimmer as well. For some it may not work....but for me it does...but not alone...only during my high cardio sessions!!!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    no.
  • Slamhamster
    Options
    No, they only work at parties. You all hook up an arm to the machine, crank it to the max, then try and drink shots.
  • rlcwaterboy
    Options
    I think most doctors and experts agree that this type of weight loss is impossible. Your genetic profile has more to do with where you lose weight than anything else. I know I was stupid enough to buy one of electric stimulation belts when I was in my early twenties. It was supposed to turn a flabby stomach into a rock hard washboard without leaving the couch. I actually received a check from a class action law suit , that I didn't even know I was a part of, for false advertising. Best advice is forget about the gimmicks and fad diets and do what you know works, diet and exercise.
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby 6 weeks ago and I have worn one since I got home from the hospital. For me it helped with the swelling and helping to get everything back where it belonged. I now wear it at night and during my workouts. The only reason I wear during the workouts is because I hate the feeling of my baby belly bounce around. LOL I have noticed a difference but it is along with diet and intense cardio exercise. =)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes!

Just kidding. Come on, seriously?
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The only form of spot reduction that works is liposuction.. anything else is a gimmick... Sure it was covered in sweat... because u were working out and it was blocking air flow and absorbing the sweat that you were producing from working out..
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If they really worked...would you have to ask if they really work? :tongue:

Everybody would use them if they lived up to what they are 'suppose' to do...
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    No. Sorry...no short cuts.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I personally use a waist trimming belt that I got from wal mart fot 5 bucks during my workouts. To me it has been working because my mid-section is getting smaller and smaller. When I'm done and take it off it's covered in sweat and my mid-section stays hot for a couple of hours afterwards. I was wanting to try the thigh slimmer as well. For some it may not work....but for me it does...but not alone...only during my high cardio sessions!!!
    Plastic wrap does the exact same thing...
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Honey you lost a ton of weight which is why you are small, not because you put a belt on, take credit for what YOU did!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Plastic wrap does the exact same thing...
    Let's not suggest dangerous methods, ok?
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby 6 weeks ago and I have worn one since I got home from the hospital. For me it helped with the swelling and helping to get everything back where it belonged. I now wear it at night and during my workouts. The only reason I wear during the workouts is because I hate the feeling of my baby belly bounce around. LOL I have noticed a difference but it is along with diet and intense cardio exercise. =)
    That's because your uterus is shrinking. You cant lose weight from one area of the body. I used a cinch wrap after my pregnancy to help with the swelling as well. But it does nothing to help anyone lose fat from the body.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    No, they don’t work. If you are already working out then your stomach and thighs are going to get naturally smaller, with or without some piece of neoprene wrapped around it.

If anything, I would say that they can actually do more harm than good. I had a hematoma on my thigh last year that was painful to run with because of how much it moved around. I bought a package of “thigh slimmers” with the sole purpose of using it as an easier way to apply pressure to the area to keep the hematoma from moving while I ran since I found that ACE bandages didn’t stay in place well due to how high I had to wrap them to fully cover the injured area.

Since the injury was only on my right thigh, I only ever wore one at a time. I wore it while strength training, while running and while doing my non-running cardio. Basically, anytime I was working out, I had it on as a compression wrap. And I always took off a super sweaty, soaked through, wrap at the end of each workout.

What I discovered happening was that my right leg wasn’t strengthening at the same pace as my left. When the wrap wasn’t on, I could feel an unevenness in the muscles if I was climbing stairs or jogging somewhere in a non-workout capacity. And once the hematoma was healed, I stopped wearing the wrap when I worked out and that’s when I really noticed the difference. I couldn’t even stand up evenly when doing squats because my right leg was so much weaker than my left. And the muscles on my right always got tired much faster when I was running and would start getting that lactic burn sooner in a workout.

I also did some measurements at one point along the way and discovered that while my left thigh had decreased in size from my last measurement, my right thigh had increased. It took me months without the wrap to finally feel like my right leg was really feeling more on par with my left leg and my right thigh measurement is just finally back to being inline with where I'd expect it to be.

Needless to say, I threw the things out at the soonest chance I had and hope to never have one on again.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Just read an article evaluating like 50 of those products and NONE of them work.
  • sandramaribel
    Options
    These belt do actually work. Don't listen to most of these people. You wear these belts as you work out though, you cannot just sit around an wait for magic to happen. They help you loose water weight, burn more calories during a cardio work out and keep your mussels warm. Most boxes advertise that it helps trim your appearance instantly! But that instantly part will be about 1 cm, sorry. use these during cardio work outs and they will help you just like wearing ankle weights will too.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    These belt do actually work. Don't listen to most of these people. You wear these belts as you work out though, you cannot just sit around an wait for magic to happen. They help you loose water weight, burn more calories during a cardio work out and keep your mussels warm. Most boxes advertise that it helps trim your appearance instantly! But that instantly part will be about 1 cm, sorry. use these during cardio work outs and they will help you just like wearing ankle weights will too.

Good first post, almost a year later.

PS - they still don't work
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If I want my mussels to be warm, I'll put them in the oven with a little butter.