Baby Carrots = Heavily processed - Would you still eat them?

Options

Replies

• sumokitty3
    sumokitty3 Posts: 16
    Options
    oh bah. Baby carrots are one of the few vegetables my 2 year old will eat. This is not good news.

I wonder if he would be willing to try to crinkle cut??
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I read that the baby carrots are the jacked up looking carrots (the ones that aren't straight) that people don't usually buy in the stores...so farmers send them off to be turned into baby carrots rather than waste them.

Ever since I read that I've made it a point to buy as many f'd up carrots from the store as I need. I don't care at all what they look like. As long as they taste good.

That's just a myth. They have specific crops/fields dedicated to baby carrot production.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    had no idea, guess ill be buying normal carrots. thanks!
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    I always buy organic carrots and chop them up to size. I always wondered about baby carrots though because that is not what they look like if you were to grow them yourself.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have always preferred pulling a carrot fresh from the garden, washing, peeling, and cutting it up to eat over a baby carrot. I take carrot sticks that are fresh cut in my lunches, because they taste better than the alternative, at least to me. I don't eat baby carrots if I can avoid it.
  • spaz4me2
    spaz4me2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hmpf...I now have a nice visual of my baby carrots soaking in a chlorine bath! I do believe that since I cut my own lettuce and celery that I can add the time to once again cut my own carrots. Now I'm craving carrots...but I'm all out, grrrrr
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have read this yesterday before I bought some. I was gonna get the regular size carrots but these were on sale lol.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I just buy the regular ones, cuz I'm REALLY, REALLY cheap, and I get more for my money!
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I will continue to eat them. I am lazy and can be clumsy with a knife, so weighing all the options, baby carrots win. I'm cool with it.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a big question regarding this:

If they're just "cut down" large carrots, why do they have a tiny core? Every "big" carrot I get has a core that's about the size of a baby carrot, so if I were cut it down to size, all I would have left is the core.

What gives?
  • smarie_330
    Options
    Nope! Yuck. I buy regular carrots. That "milky substance in the bag" turned me off a long time ago!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    interesting. Perhaps I will buy regular big carrots from now on. I have always wondered how those baby carrots even came to be or how they're made.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I read that the baby carrots are the jacked up looking carrots (the ones that aren't straight) that people don't usually buy in the stores...so farmers send them off to be turned into baby carrots rather than waste them.

Ever since I read that I've made it a point to buy as many f'd up carrots from the store as I need. I don't care at all what they look like. As long as they taste good.

That's just a myth. They have specific crops/fields dedicated to baby carrot production.

Lame.
  • caseyjade88
    caseyjade88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm reading this as I sit here eating Baby Carrots.. lol gee thanks. What about the organic ones???
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them or buy them because I think they have a funny taste.
  • Wysteriajo
    Wysteriajo Posts: 14
    Options
    I converted to "genuine" baby carrots from the farmers' market or my farm share last year. They are a distinct variety, smaller and sweeter than a regular carrot and amazingly yummy. I've got some growing in my garden now (maybe a two-day supply but, hey, I grew them myself with nothing on 'em but dirt and cow poo!).

I won't buy the 'baby cut' any more just because they don't taste good. And they can't be any easier than tossing a whole carrot in a lunch bag.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I eat 'em. I like 'em. There's nothing wrong with 'em.
    If by "processed" you mean dug out of the dirt, washed and cut up, I guess we better spend out time laying in the yard, eating grass out of the ground, unless chewing food constitutes processing.

Sheesh.
  • MrsMangler
    MrsMangler Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I always want to know "Why?" or "What's the other side?" So I found this at http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/babycarrot.html

According to Randy Worobo, an associate professor of food microbiology at Cornell University, you need not worry. He says carrots are not preserved in bleach but rinsed in a chlorine wash that's recommended by the FDA to kill bacteria such as salmonella and E. coli. Most pre-cut produce, including frozen vegetables and fruit salad, is washed with this or similar sanitizers.

Baby Cut and Peeled Carrots are treated with chlorine. It is used as an anti-microbial treatment to control potential contamination in the finished product. Carrots that are treated with chlorine are subsequently soaked and rinsed with potable water to remove the excess chlorine before being packaged.

Sanitizers that can be used to wash or to assist in lye peeling of fruits and vegetables are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in accordance with the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21, Ch. 1, Section 173.315.

Chlorine is routinely used as a sanitizer in wash, spray, and flume waters used in the fresh fruit and vegetable industry. Anti-microbial activity depends on the amount of free available chlorine (as hypochlorous acid) in water that comes in contact with microbial cells. The effectiveness of chlorine in killing pathogenic microorganisms has been extensively studied." For more information on the use of Chlorine as a routine anti-microbial sanitizer, you can visit the following government web site;
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol3no4/beuchat.htm
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    With two small kids, I will stay with the convenience of baby carrots for snacking. It's hard enough to keep my son out of trouble, so every second counts. Seriously, it does. I always rinse my food anyway, so I don't see the big deal.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    wow-what about organics?