Severe bloating, pain, etc... looking for tips!!

Options
milkyskinn
milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
Since the past few days it's been getting worse, I wonder if any of the fellow MFPers here have some tips for me that might help!

There is definitely an underlying problem here, but I deal with very bad bloating, a lot of abdominal/intestinal pain, constipation, diarrhea and fatigue. The problem started last year and they still haven't gotten to the root of the problem.
Recently though when someone informed me about the fact that candida seems to fit a lot of the symptoms I have, my suspicion that might just be it. I still need to do a lab test but basically everything I could look at myself or think of is pointing towards it.

My question is do any of you have some tips on how to get rid of all this bloat/excess air until I know some more?
Right now it's just as bad as when I got sick from some meds they gave me at the hospital, ever since dinner I feel full yet get hungry, like someone pumped air into my midsection and is making sure it can't get out.
I also feel like the buildup of all this air makes the constipation worse, and there's a lot of crazy bubbling, stinging and very draining pain going on shortly after I eat.

I'm already trying everything I can against constipation right now (water with fresh lemon juice first thing in the morning, then coffee before I eat anything, having dried prunes, mixing flax seeds in my muesli/oats, and taking priobotics, switched from regular to almond milk, eat gluten free in the morning, not too much food, tons of fiber, tons of tea, tons of water...)

I know drinking lots of water can definitely help but it sometimes makes me feel worse. I haven't tried peppermint tea yet. Are there any other natural ways to take off the tension a bit? :c I'd greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    almost certainly a reaction to something you eat. Try cutting out all dairy for a few days, then if that doesn't work try cutting out all gluten and grains for a few days. A bit of a long shot but you could also have a lack of HCL, so could try a HCL supplement.

You can get tested for food intolerances also.
  • ockara
    ockara Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You may want to do an auto-immune protocol to get to the bottom of whats causing it. Could be dairy, gluten, too much fiber, amongst other things you're eating.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The other posts sound on target with what I was thinking also. Have you tried the age old remedy for stomach pains...herbal mint tea? It might at least ease your pain while you are trying to figure out what is causing it.
    Take care :flowerforyou: Hope you feel better soon.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that sounds a lot like a food sensitivity. go talk to a naturopath or homeopath to get a blood test done. If you are covered by any form of insurance/group benefits, it should be covered.

I'm getting one done soon, and my mother had one done shortly after. Once she eliminated all the foods she had issues with, she stated to feel like a million bucks almost instantly!

I too suffer from bloating and various other symptoms (including fatigue, and mostly everything else you listed). I tried an elimination diet before choosing to take the blood test, and all of my symptoms went away within 2 days!

I seriously suggest you look into it. It can be as easy as cutting out 2 or 3 foods from your diet!
  • lcpruitt
    lcpruitt Posts: 11
    Options
    A doctor I know who specializes in integrative medicine suggests taking Swedish bitters 15-20 minutes before each meal to prime your digestive tract. You can buy it in the whole foods supplement section.
  • phoenix_59
    phoenix_59 Posts: 1,123
    Options
    my opinion is that you really should not take advice on a medical issue from anyone other than your doctor....go see him/her.
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Medical advice! Peppermint Tea for the trapped wind/bloating maybe as well.
    It is perhaps not an allergy, maybe gallstones? I had it at 18, if your back hurts around the right shoulder then maybe ask the doc if thats what it could be.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Since the past few days it's been getting worse, I wonder if any of the fellow MFPers here have some tips for me that might help!

There is definitely an underlying problem here, but I deal with very bad bloating, a lot of abdominal/intestinal pain, constipation, diarrhea and fatigue. The problem started last year and they still haven't gotten to the root of the problem.
    Recently though when someone informed me about the fact that candida seems to fit a lot of the symptoms I have, my suspicion that might just be it. I still need to do a lab test but basically everything I could look at myself or think of is pointing towards it.

My question is do any of you have some tips on how to get rid of all this bloat/excess air until I know some more?
    Right now it's just as bad as when I got sick from some meds they gave me at the hospital, ever since dinner I feel full yet get hungry, like someone pumped air into my midsection and is making sure it can't get out.
    I also feel like the buildup of all this air makes the constipation worse, and there's a lot of crazy bubbling, stinging and very draining pain going on shortly after I eat.

I'm already trying everything I can against constipation right now (water with fresh lemon juice first thing in the morning, then coffee before I eat anything, having dried prunes, mixing flax seeds in my muesli/oats, and taking priobotics, switched from regular to almond milk, eat gluten free in the morning, not too much food, tons of fiber, tons of tea, tons of water...)

I know drinking lots of water can definitely help but it sometimes makes me feel worse. I haven't tried peppermint tea yet. Are there any other natural ways to take off the tension a bit? :c I'd greatly appreciate it!

try eating gluten free all day for 2 weeks and see if that makes a difference. what kinds of probiotics are you taking? not all brands are equal. make sure the acidiphilus says billions and not millions. i take it every day. if candida is the problem you need to take a lot, i was told to take at least 10 a day for the first few months. also make sure you two at night before you go to bed on an empty stomach.

that is what helped me. stop all sugar too. it took too many doctors and 2 yrs to figure out what was wrong with me. at a new office a nurse started asking me all kinds of questions and basically named every problem i had even though most i had become used to and just accepted. the only reason she knew so much was because she had the same problems and had been through it. people with gluten problems often have candida and other yeast issues. i was sick for so long and wanted to die. i had asked several dr's and nurses if some of my problems could be related to wheat or whatever and they always blew me off.

i always suggest doing research and skip the sites that sell products. read several forums and see what other people experienced. good luck and you can message me if you have any questions. there are several symptoms i don't really want to list on a forum that might be helpful.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Try some fresh ginger or get you the organic ginger tea for stomach,I have had that same problem they said I had H pylori bacteria in your r stomach ,ask them to test you for that.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Have they tested you for GYN problems? Sounds weird, but bloating, abdominal pain and fatigue can be indicators of reproductive problems. You've been exhausting the potential gastrointestinal issues, and it doesn't seem to help. Talk to your doctor. Also, check out WebMd - they have a symptom checker - which can give you some possible things for you and your doctor to explore.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Sounds like a food sensitivity to me.
  • jkr12
    jkr12 Posts: 31
    Options
    my opinion is that you really should not take advice on a medical issue from anyone other than your doctor....go see him/her.

What this guy said.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have pretty uncomfortable bloating too (like the difference between flat tummy and 6 months pregnant tummy). When I eat grain free, it goes away. Obviously a doc will have the best advice, but if you're like me, without health insurance or much money, trial and error is a good way to start! I Know there's a particular diet to cure candida, as well, which I think is essentially no grains and no sugars, but you can google that. Good luck!
  • KeishaK89
    KeishaK89 Posts: 40
    Options
    I had pain and bloating yesterday. I suggest drinking hot water with half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon. I'm not sure why it works but it helped me out yesterday ( I just googled how to help bloating) and it is also helpful to take an advil for the cramping. You may also like to try boiling fresh ginger and drinking that. Ginger works wonders for digestion. I used to be bloated and uncomfortable all the time and then I stopped eating bread, rice, potatoes and pasta and opted for fresh veggies instead.

Best of luck!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

try eating gluten free all day for 2 weeks and see if that makes a difference. what kinds of probiotics are you taking? not all brands are equal. make sure the acidiphilus says billions and not millions. i take it every day. if candida is the problem you need to take a lot, i was told to take at least 10 a day for the first few months. also make sure you two at night before you go to bed on an empty stomach.

that is what helped me. stop all sugar too. it took too many doctors and 2 yrs to figure out what was wrong with me. at a new office a nurse started asking me all kinds of questions and basically named every problem i had even though most i had become used to and just accepted. the only reason she knew so much was because she had the same problems and had been through it. people with gluten problems often have candida and other yeast issues. i was sick for so long and wanted to die. i had asked several dr's and nurses if some of my problems could be related to wheat or whatever and they always blew me off.

i always suggest doing research and skip the sites that sell products. read several forums and see what other people experienced. good luck and you can message me if you have any questions. there are several symptoms i don't really want to list on a forum that might be helpful.

Ditto this! I went through two years of h*** going from doctor to doctor and test to test to no avail...finally on my own I cut out wheat prodcuts and within two weeks felt so much better. Try it for two weeks, what have you got to lose except some pain, bloating, etc.
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    i've been getting that all my life and when i went to the doctor about it, they couldn't figure it out.
    i dont know if its jus gas or if i have to crap. but what i've been doing to relieve the pain is

1. drink tons of water; it softens the stool so it can pass easier (if its jus poo)
    2. drink water and broccoli or whatever vegetable u can eat that makes you use the bathroom
    3. drink prune juice

could also be a bad UTI infection

see a doctor, another one, if u have to
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    Get to a doctor. I had the same symptoms for YEARS, and I had a gallstones (well, I still have them! ugh). Just recently I started having gallbladder attacks (extremely painful, wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy) but what you're explaining is how it began. I tried everything under the sun to make it go away, and it wouldn't. Greasy food gets it going, but sometimes fruit, veggies or even too much water gets it going.
  • milkyskinn
    Options
    almost certainly a reaction to something you eat. Try cutting out all dairy for a few days, then if that doesn't work try cutting out all gluten and grains for a few days. A bit of a long shot but you could also have a lack of HCL, so could try a HCL supplement.

You can get tested for food intolerances also.

Yeah, that sounds a lot like a food sensitivity. go talk to a naturopath or homeopath to get a blood test done. If you are covered by any form of insurance/group benefits, it should be covered.

I actually already got tested for food sensitivities, but not much has helped me on that part.
    There was an INDICATION that I could be sensitive to gluten, and I've tried eating gluten free in many bouts during this journey (first 4 weeks, nothing changed, gave up and started cutting out other things in periods like dairy/nuts/peanuts/eggs, then I ate gluten free for months again) but the gluten free products only seem to make it WORSE.
    I've even had allergic reactions to the GF bread where my throat starts swelling and being that many GF products contain yeast, or are higher in simple carbs etc. than 'normal' grain products, I'm really starting to suspect candida.

My only bet is that there's something else I'm allergic/sensitive to that needs a much more thorough way of testing, but since I've already been 'labeled' as someone who supposedly has an issue with gluten, it's hard for me to convince them to do any other tests (I live in Holland)
    Eating gluten free for months should make someone who is really sensitive better, and it didn't. I really think there's something else going on...
  • milkyskinn
    Options
    I had pain and bloating yesterday. I suggest drinking hot water with half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon. I'm not sure why it works but it helped me out yesterday ( I just googled how to help bloating) and it is also helpful to take an advil for the cramping. You may also like to try boiling fresh ginger and drinking that. Ginger works wonders for digestion. I used to be bloated and uncomfortable all the time and then I stopped eating bread, rice, potatoes and pasta and opted for fresh veggies instead.

Best of luck!

hot water with cinnamon... noted! That also doesn't sound too disgusting to gulp down, haha.
    I use ginger a lot when I cook (I loooove asian dishes) but usually it's paste/syrup/powder seasoning. Looks like I'm gonna have to try some fresh ginger! Thanks for the tips :)
  • milkyskinn
    Options
    Get to a doctor. I had the same symptoms for YEARS, and I had a gallstones (well, I still have them! ugh). Just recently I started having gallbladder attacks (extremely painful, wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy) but what you're explaining is how it began. I tried everything under the sun to make it go away, and it wouldn't. Greasy food gets it going, but sometimes fruit, veggies or even too much water gets it going.

I should really talk about the possibility of gallstones, I guess. I've been going for test after test from doctor to doctor for over a year already so I'm definitely moving to get something done about it, but if they could actually FIND what it is, that'd be wonderful. (It doesn't help they're not really openminded... most doctors I've had to deal with so far really only stick to what they know about you and refuse to listen to other things that worry me :c)

Gonna get that checked out! I do hope that's not it, though. I've heard some horror stories about gallstones, I hope you'll be better soon!