Baby Carrots = Heavily processed - Would you still eat them?

Options
124»

Replies

• ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I eat them but I think you just convinced me not to anymore lol yuck :P

Yep, i just bought some 2 days ago and now I regret it
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I read that baby carrots are all the half rotten full size ones. They grind them up, put orange slime in them, and mash it all together to look like a small carrot.

http:/www.somerandomwebsite.com
  • MYLOV
    MYLOV Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I realized how inferior baby carrots were when I used them in a recipe (Cooking Light's Carrot Souffle) and it turned out HORRIBLY. What was usually a holiday favorite ended up all watery and with hardly any carrot flavor. Convenient, yes. Tasty, heck no.

Turns out the time spent to peel and chop a whole carrot is well worth it.
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    According to Randy Worobo, an associate professor of food microbiology at Cornell University, you need not worry. As reported in Prevention magazine, he says <b> carrots are not preserved in bleach but rinsed in a chlorine wash that's recommended by the FDA to kill bacteria such as salmonella and E. coli. Most pre-cut produce, including frozen vegetables and fruit salad, is washed with this or similar sanitizers.

Baby Cut and Peeled Carrots are treated with chlorine. It is used as an anti-microbial treatment to control potential contamination in the finished product. Carrots that are treated with chlorine are subsequently soaked and rinsed with potable water to remove the excess chlorine before being packaged.

Sanitizers that can be used to wash or to assist in lye peeling of fruits and vegetables are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in accordance with the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21, Ch. 1, Section 173.315.

Chlorine is routinely used as a sanitizer in wash, spray, and flume waters used in the fresh fruit and vegetable industry. Anti-microbial activity depends on the amount of free available chlorine (as hypochlorous acid) in water that comes in contact with microbial cells. The effectiveness of chlorine in killing pathogenic microorganisms has been extensively studied." For more information on the use of Chlorine as a routine anti-microbial sanitizer, you can visit the following government web site;
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol3no4/beuchat.htm

:noway: I DONT KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMORE!!!!!
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wow... thanks for the info, OP! I didn't know that, and baby carrots tend to be one of my favorite snacks. I haven't been eating them lately because of their sugar content, though, so I'm glad I made a good choice when I stopped!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how baby carrots are sweeter than regular-sized carrots, I assumed they were at least somewhat processed. I don't mind it as I usually stick to green veggies anyway; I rarely eat carrots, corn, or any other non-green vegetables.
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I grow my own carrots so I don't have the issue.
  • tammyj83
    tammyj83 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    EEEeeewwwww!!! Not anymore!
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them... A real carrot tastes soooooo much better and is worth the extra work cleaning them. I haven't eaten baby carrots for a long time.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Read random post, do no research of my own, swear off baby carrots. Sounds like a plan!

Did you try READING the Snopes article? OP? Anyone?

And why is anyone surprised that baby carrots are higher in calories? Duh. They're sweeter. How would that happen without an increase in calories?
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat them but I think you just convinced me not to anymore lol yuck :P

Ew. Yeah never mind
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I eat them and actually prefer them to big carrots
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I read that baby carrots are all the half rotten full size ones. They grind them up, put orange slime in them, and mash it all together to look like a small carrot.

http:/www.somerandomwebsite.com

;0 nice

also isnt my drinking water chlorinated??? I don't see any problem with chlorine water washed veggies. Hand to God im going to grab some from the fridge right now and snack away.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,166 Member
    Options
    Take a chill pill people. The rinse in chlorine is the sanitize them so they are not carrying potential pathogens. The white is a result of dehydration and would happen with a full size carrot if you peeled it an put it in the fridge for a few days. If you don't like them, don't eat them, but seeing as your drinking water from the tap has chlorine in it, using that as a reason not to eat baby carrots is silly. It is all washed off before they are packaged.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Take a chill pill people. The rinse in chlorine is the sanitize them so they are not carrying potential pathogens. The white is a result of dehydration and would happen with a full size carrot if you peeled it an put it in the fridge for a few days. If you don't like them, don't eat them, but seeing as your drinking water from the tap has chlorine in it, using that as a reason not to eat baby carrots is silly. It is all washed off before they are packaged.

Rinsed or not it doesn't change the fact that they have less flavor and nutrition in them.