Adjustable dumbbells??

Options
Does anyone have anything to share about them? I'm starting back up in school this fall and my class schedule does not coincide with my gym's childcare center hours. I'm looking to set up a small home gym in my basement.

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I find them fairly useless as they generally dont go up high enough in weight.. and some of the cheaper "quick change" ones let the weights rock enough to annoy me.

for less money you can get a barbell set from a local sporting goods store and have everything up to 300lbs.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I loved them until they broke. If you have the money to buy them, I'd say go for it, but they are pretty expensive.

For exercises where you're supposed to bring your arms together at the top, they aren't ideal because the weights are pretty wide, but if that's the only option, then it's the only option.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I love them!! We set up a home gym as well. We have the Power Block ones that go up to 50 and a Bowflex set that goes 10 to 90. It saves a LOT of space considering the dumbbell weights that my husband needs for some of his workouts. Between our bench, free weight stands, etc, we don't have a lot of space to spare. They work out great for us.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I used a set of PowerBlocks until the max weight became an issue. I bought a set of U-90s with the Stage 2 kit (allowing them to go from 5 to 90 lbs on each one, in 2.5lb or 5lb increments). 180 pounds is plenty for a start, but you may eventually find that it's not enough for leg work (squats, etc).
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...did a bit of research and I think I'm going to try out the Bowflex ones. They got pretty good reviews. They are not ideal, but they will save space and be enough for me to lift on the days that I can't make it to the gym.
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    yes it is good that even you can go to gym you can still make some exercises http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/ this link will ad some information about the adjustable dumbbells