WHICH IS "BETTER" - Strength Training or Cardio

Options
ke2life
ke2life Posts: 10 Member
I am doing a DietBet and I have 19 days to lose 4lbs to "win" back my $15/split the pot that's currently at $4155!!!! I don't want to lose... well I do want to lose - weight! :)

I am trying to pick a program that will help me lose weight the quickest (I am not looking to lose weight overnight just one that sheds the pounds faster). I know that when I strength train (I was doing P90X previously), I typically tend to gain weight first (muscle) then loose... and I do lose inches. Then with TurboFire it is more cardio based and I haven't finished this program yet to judge... So I was wondering if there is a workout that might be better than the other since I'm in a little time crunch?

Again, I don't want to lose a lot of weight fast as it's unrealistic... I just need to reach my goal in the next 19 days... Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You lose real weight by having a calorie deficit, less in than out. That comes from the kitchen not the gym.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Strength + Cardio = Better than either one alone.
    Add flexibility and you've got the fitness trifecta!

and I agree with the above post, your diet is really going to make or break your program.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I think you need both.

Cardio is easy. Bike, run, jog, walk, hike...there are a TON of ways to get in your minimum of 30 minutes of cardio.

Well really anything that gets your heart rate up is good I'm no familiar with any of these programs/video's I've always been a gym girl myself, (and since I work at one part time on top of my other job I get a free membership) but I'd assume these programs get your heart rate up.

I think your best bet is to pick your favorite program the incorporates some strength training and then try to get moving in one of the ways mentioned above.

One isn't more important than the other in my opinion they are BOTH very important.
  • Erikhulse
    Erikhulse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just went a week with zero food in my body. I drank about a gallon of water per day but consumed nearly zero calories. I lost 15 pounds in about 6 days. For anyone wondering, I had a tonsillectomy so I couldn't eat!!
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Practice your fork downs and do some cardio!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    For $4k tax free, I'd just not eat. Seriously. I really need the money. I'd suffer through it.

My friend juiced for a few weeks nd lost a ton fast. Of course, he's an idiot and gained it all back in a week. Lol.
  • prettylolita
    prettylolita Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you need to burn a lot of calories do kettlebell training. Its both cardio and strength.
    Kill one bird with one stone.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    For $4k tax free, I'd just not eat. Seriously. I really need the money. I'd suffer through it.

LOL!!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    You don't gain muscle very quickly, and your weight gain in those programs was likely mostly things other than muscle.

If I wanted to lose weight quickly over a 19 day period, I would only do cardio for exercise. Running in my case. If you can't run enough, stationary bike or elliptical should suffice.

Eat a low sodium diet and get your caloric deficit around 1000-1500, and you should be good to go. Do cardio before your weigh in and don't eat much afterward to keep your glycogen stores depleted for another bit of temporary loss.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Do both!

I was only doing cardio at the gym and my weight lose stalled. I added in some pretty good weight lifting and lost 2 pounds the first weeka nd 1.2 the second week. Can't wait to get on the scale this week and see how I did.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You don't gain muscle very quickly, and your weight gain in those programs was likely mostly things other than muscle.

If I wanted to lose weight quickly over a 19 day period, I would only do cardio for exercise. Running in my case. If you can't run enough, stationary bike or elliptical should suffice.

Eat a low sodium diet and get your caloric deficit around 1000-1500, and you should be good to go. Do cardio before your weigh in and don't eat much afterward to keep your glycogen stores depleted for another bit of temporary loss.

^^ This is great advice!

After you win that $4000+... then think about adding strength training.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Both are important. And, 4 pounds in 19 days if very doable.
  • sumeetn
    sumeetn Posts: 56
    Options
    a balanced mix of both :-)
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    it depends on what you want to achieve or your goal if you just want to trim down or loose some weight then just go with the cardio but if you want to build and tone up some muscles do strength training or weight to see those muscles to be sculpted http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/