Eating the same thing every day?

Options
Is it bad to eat generally the same things every single day? Besides the fact that it can be extremely boring, is it that big of a concern? My budget is rather low, so I've been sticking to eating the same things generally every day (hard boiled eggs, baked chicken, yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal, plenty of fruits & greens, etc. etc.)

Besides the fact that it's extremely boring, is it detrimental?

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Nah, just as long as there aren't any major nutrients you're missing out on. I tend to eat a very similar diet day to day.
  • brooshie
    brooshie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm a little over on protein and under on carbs, but besides that, everything else is about spot on. (in regards to MFP)
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I think it's ok. But I have heard people complaining about plateau after eating the same diet for long time. I don't know for sure.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    It shouldn't hurt you in any way...just might get boring!
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    I eat about the same thing every day. I do much better when I restrict myself!!
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    yes for the last 20 years..... but I still love it! :laugh:
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It's the micros you need to worry about in a limited diet. Vitamin B complex and C daily intake, A-D-E-K on a larger scale of time, macrominerals and trace ones, organic acids.

In your listed diet, I don't think you will have a problem.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with this Chicken Kale salad and have had it for either lunch or dinner the past two weeks. Incidentally
    I also lost 5lbs I've been trying to drop for a while eating this same dish!

Still eating it for lunch!

Last month I ate TVP oatmeal with peanut butter almost every dinner. I think it's normal to go through phases like that.. but i'm over the mock oatmeal phase now! Still not over my chicken kale phase though.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    i've eaten the same thing daily for MONTHS...i'm 31 lbs down :)
  • Jweb8969
    Jweb8969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i also tend to eat pretty much the same thing for weeks on end - at least for lunch. dinners are more varied, but even then i have a few 'go-tos' that tend to get in the mix much more than others. i don't think it matters unless you only ate ONE thing at EVERY meal and were ignoring nutrients, etc.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    you have to do what you can afford...like here in the midwest during the winter we will pay dearly for fresh fruits and vegetables. You are eating some very changeable foods...try making deviled eggs instead of just had boiled, add different seasonings to your chicken(then bake it or roast it even steam it) , add those fruits to your yogurt and oatmeal, make it interesting and different with the same foods. If I could have oats, I would mix them with brown sugar run them in a food processor till ground with a few bigger pieces roll my chicken in egg wash then roll in this oats and bake till clear liquids run out. Serve with vegetables and fruits. Very tasty...
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Not to my point of view. If you are meeting your daily nutrient requirements. I have maybe 7 or 8 dinner meals that I cycle. Breakfast I've pretty much settled on Oatmeal because there are so many different flavors. Lunch is pretty much liquid for me.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Eating the same thing for at least one meal a day can really help you stay on track. It takes the guess work out of that meal and allows you to know for sure how many calories you have for the rest of the day. As long as you take a multivitamin you shouldn't have to worry about missing stuff.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I do this, too, but I'm trying to look up new ideas for lunches and dinners especially. And healthy snacks.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    It's the micros you need to worry about in a limited diet. Vitamin B complex and C daily intake, A-D-E-K on a larger scale of time, macrominerals and trace ones, organic acids.

In your listed diet, I don't think you will have a problem.

Yes, this is what I was referring to. All the vitamins and minerals :)
  • brooshie
    brooshie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    jeez thanks for all the quick responses!

i'm glad at the results, i was worried that for some reason it would be hazardous for me. oh well, it might be boring, but i'd rather be boring & healthy than fat :)
  • reesa722
    reesa722 Posts: 76
    Options
    Yeah, I pretty much stick with the same things week after week. For one, I know what I'm eating calorie/nutrient wise. Two, I know exactly how much I'm spending on groceries. Three, I can cook on the weekends and refrigerate everything in tupperware. Win/Win.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You are eating healthy and that's what really matters. Fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein, yogurt- All good. Don't worry if it's boring as long as it stays healthy and works for you. I say no problem.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly the same every day as well. I've found what seems to work for me, and my macros, and if I love the tastes, well, that's just a bonus :)
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Not detrimental at all. Sounds like you're getting pretty much all the necessary nutrients. Other than boredom. I eat pretty much the same everyday. I always have. Even 'before'. :smile: