2 month in:sleeping less than 6 hours

Options
Hey everyone!

Ive been working out pretty much 6 days a week for 2 months now. I feel great and am really happy with my progress and results.

Something strange though I noticed however is that Im not sleeping 8 hours.
In fact, I can BARELY get 7 or 6 hours of good sleep in. Its very odd.
I feel like I need to take naps all the time, its kind of annoying and a bad habit.
Also I never was a fan of caffeine drinks and now I am finding myself having to consume one can a day. Not that Im worried but Id rather not be spending the money on them to stay awake.

Any idea as to why this is happening?
I wear a Bodymedia Fit armband which also monitors REM sleep and this always tells me LESS than 6 hours sleep a night. The fact that I need to nap all of the time kind of confirms it too.

Replies

• Kiswinning
    Kiswinning Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem...
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    what do your carbs look like? can you post your macros and calorie intake?
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    the experts now say its not good for you to sleep 8 hrs in one stretch. In fact in medieval times people went to sleep when it got dark slept for about 4 hours then got up and did some activity (needlework, carvings and sex) then had another few hours and got up for work and such, napped a couple hours in the afternoon and went back to work again.

Its only in the more modern world that society dictated the sleeping pattern.

So unless its severely interfering in your day to day living I wouldn't worry too much
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Ha that is so interesting! I didnt even consider that.

It doesnt really interfere that much but its a little annoying that Im so sleepy when I wake up and go to school. I feel like I wake up and 2 -4 hours later I just want to go back to sleep again.

In total, plus the naps I get 8 hours, but its all irregular (ie: not in one sitting)

Thanks for that fact! Nice to learn something new :)
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    What time are you working out? If I wait until early evening or later I am awake for hours (until 3, 4, 5, 6 o'clock). I have moved my work outs to the morning hours and no later than 2 pm
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing but I'm hardly ever sleepy and I don't really nap -- so just sleeping short. I go to sleep between 12 and 2 and wake up at 6 but sometimes I will spontaneously wake up at 5 or something. It's nuts. But I feel fine... except for this weird thing that happens sometimes -- I believe it is this "condition", or something else that fits that exact description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_postprandial_syndrome

Sometimes I've fallen asleep, sometimes I've just gotten shaky and spacey. Definitely whatever it is I should not be driving if it's happening because I get so spacey-tired-shaky-weird (I've had some problems with it in the past that I am SO lucky did not happen on a highway, and normally I am a very alert driver). I read somewhere "idiopathic postprandial syndrome" is associated with high carb low fat diets. I switched up my macros to eat more fats and proteins and fewer carbs and it seems to be a non-issue now. I think I dropped my carbs to 45%. I don't know if that will help you but it helped me. I still sleep short, but now I am pretty much full of energy all day.

You will note that "idiopathic postprandial syndrome" means "syndrome of unknown origin that occurs after eating". I'm aware it sounds pretty fishy, but it is exactly what happens to me, so dubs.

For the record I have tested my blood sugar a few times when feeling like this and it is always in the dead center of what's considered normal. (My mom is diabetic and sometimes she thinks it's cool to find out what my blood sugar is. Whatever :)